Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

What hosting company are you using?

Well i think there is a bunch of people thinking on hosting a server for WU so if you have found any good ones that are cheap post them up so people can maybe find a good one for themselves.

Edit: I did manage to find this if anyone is interested seems two of these guys have unlimited traffic and have windows as an option..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455706,00.asp

Edited by Kegan

Since it's going to be pretty much for my family, I'm using the one that's sitting in the other room lol..   Will just have to see how it works out.. 

Since it's going to be pretty much for my family, I'm using the one that's sitting in the other room lol..   Will just have to see how it works out.. 

I am not sure what i am doing either yet i am just looking at options right now. I will be doing the same as you at first and doing it on my backup computer but if i like WU and want to keep it going for a long time i like the idea of having a reliable 24/7 dedicated server that i can play on for years and seems like that would be best managed at a hosting company. 

To be honest though i will probably just keep playing wurm online because even the cheapest version of hosting will cost more then i am paying to play wurm now. I do not pay anything over the 80 euro a year on my main account the rest i fund with in-game stuff. The only way to get wurm cheaper would be to host WU myself and then i miss out on all the "fun" stuff i enjoy like buying and selling that only the online version is going to get me. 

Edited by Kegan

If I will be hosting, I will make server from old PC parts first.

• Like 1

I do not think a VPS is qualified to host a game like WU. You really need a dedicated server if you are going to remote host. VPS is more for lightweight applications and high traffic websites.

I found a company in Florida that offers everything I need for really reasonable prices.

The problem with a VPS is you are not getting access to all of the resources of the server, and you are sharing that server with other VPS users, while they are limited if something happens on their VPS account that spikes resources, it can hurt your performance as well. You do not get all of the CPU cores, most VPS do not offer enough ram for running a multiplayer server over a couple of people. If you only plan to have a couple of close friends playing with you, better off just hosting it yourself if you have a decent uplink.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 1

I own a couple servers and colocate them in a local datacenter with a 1gig connections and multiple tier 3 peers. I have a some extra space and am considering renting it out to people.

Yeah, I wont be sourcing a hosted server until I have more precise understanding on server loads.

Until then, I'll be hosting on a spare server at a location where utilities and uplink are available.

Rack Space - its not cheap, but if you really want a good infrastructure with excellent DDoS protection and D&R its the way to go.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Does it need to be a Windows host? I have a Linux based VPS that I use for my business that is only using a fraction of its resources so I'm hoping I can just use that.

Windows currently but Linux support appears to be planned.

Does it need to be a Windows host? I have a Linux based VPS that I use for my business that is only using a fraction of its resources so I'm hoping I can just use that.

We are suppose to be able to run it on linux at release per Warlander.

bluefangsolutions so far is providing game servers 2 gigs of ram @ 20 usd a month, WU doesnt use that many resources.

• Like 1

I do not think a VPS is qualified to host a game like WU. You really need a dedicated server if you are going to remote host. VPS is more for lightweight applications and high traffic websites.

I found a company in Florida that offers everything I need for really reasonable prices.

The problem with a VPS is you are not getting access to all of the resources of the server, and you are sharing that server with other VPS users, while they are limited if something happens on their VPS account that spikes resources, it can hurt your performance as well. You do not get all of the CPU cores, most VPS do not offer enough ram for running a multiplayer server over a couple of people. If you only plan to have a couple of close friends playing with you, better off just hosting it yourself if you have a decent uplink.

I have an old server sitting around collecting dust....if i decide to run it dedicated though i probably will just use a company called Dyn.com

and just route traffic to the server as the DNS changes.

We are having no issue running on a VPS with under 10 players. Very little server load is being used so far.

What host are you using and what are the stats on your VPS? Also what settings do you have for the server? (Map size, mob count, etc)

We at GTXGaming are supporting this game in lots of locations and our support is fast and responsive. Please support us by ordering a server. We are 100% behind Wurm Unlimited and its success. We will make it very simple to host and admin your own server. 

24/7 online server. Hosted on 10gb ports. DDOS protected network. Fast response support. 

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. 

Locations:

Dallas

Paris

London

Stockholm

New York

Los angeles

Dallas

Sydney

Frankfurt

Moscow

www.gtxgaming.co.uk

CustomLogo.png?5247454998487423244

Edited by gtxgaming

I got a question,  I upgraded my net to full speed , they just dug up my town this summer for new fiber lines, i now download between 93-100 mb/s   nice from my old 3-6mb ;-( past 5 yrs., cost me $80 a month now vs 50$   I also got signed up for $15 a month more for unlimited GB download, I guess with 2 xboxs, apple tv. 2 cmputer, laptop. and 3 tablets plus 2 iphones. my family and I were using 300-600gb a month.

so now my question.  with this full speed net and unlimited GB download a month,  could i run a good size server with either my 12gb ram or 16 gb ram computer, as a dedicated server.  was thinking the 12GB as i use my 16gb to play on,  I signed up for 3 accounts,  for the family to play. but also thought could run to servers later on linked together, pve and pvp.

I just don't know about servers, would it kill my computer and harddrives, would i have to disable sleep and slowdown drive modes to keep server running,   I ask all this. as I  wonder about the 7.95$ /gb servers out there for rent, vs the cost of replacing a computer if it burns out.   the highest ram use so far was only 1GB for a 4k map. but only 1 player.

I am using citadel servers, best host i have tried for Wurm or any server host in general, tried them for don't starve together server previously and worked well

Edited by TigerTen

I'm using Citadel Servers as well. I agree with the post above. They are by far the best hosting company I have used. Awesome in every aspect.