Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Permission System

During the testing of the new permission system, we tried to get as much information as we could put together on a page. Now that the system is live, we are hoping to get this page filled out with as much good information as possible.

You can find that page here: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Permissions

Things that belong

• Answers to common questions. If you see people asking the same thing and it's not on this page, let us know.
  • Facts about the way the system works. For example, gates can only be renamed by the owner, or by the mayor if "settlement may manage" is ticked.
  • Common warnings or event tab messages and what they mean.

Things that do not belong

• Personal opinions about the new system.
  • Bugs or things that are just plain strange. These should be reported in the Server Bugs section, or if you feel it is sensitive in nature and may be exploited, use /support.
  • Suggestions, tips, or tricks. These would be absolutely wonderful in a player-made guide and posted in the Game Guides section.

When posting replies here, please try to note specifics about what it is you're referring to and provide screenshots if need be. We don't want to flood the page with screenshots, but it may help editors in finding a way to put whatever it is into words. We do plan on providing at least one shot of each of the windows where it makes sense to do so.

Tis a great start!

I was thinking about this day, we have a lot more to document on permissions.

Just trying to visualise how to break it up. It's a very TLDR/TMI type of page, due to the nature of the permissions now.

Tis a great start!

I was thinking about this day, we have a lot more to document on permissions.

Just trying to visualise how to break it up. It's a very TLDR/TMI type of page, due to the nature of the permissions now

It's rather large, but the TOC on the right-hand side should help. I've gone with a Section, Section Notes, Section Permissions sort of structure. I did this so that if you were curious about, say, gates - you can click "Gates" and see all of the important notes that you really should know about at the top, and then a list of what the permissions are and what they do. I've also been adding screenshots of both the management window and the permission windows.

Everything I've put into Notes so far has been tested by me and my fine, hard-working alts, or I've had confirmed to the best of my ability with others.

I'd have to say that Animals and Gates are complete (unless more change comes). Other sections are being added to as I discover things, but I'm hoping to focus on Buildings and then Items next. The Overview is done too, for the moment. That section is designed to provide information that is common across everything, and I've not found much else that would fit in there.

If anyone wants to pick a section and follow along with what I've been doing so far, feel free! It can be a lot of work. Mine doors would be a great one for someone else to champion as I don't have any on Freedom right now, and I don't manage many on Chaos either. Shiny is completely flat and at water level, so no chance for on-deed mine doors. :P

Just tested that a small sailing boat could be commanded through server borders having the command permission only (no manage permission added), being not the owner of the boat

Just tested that a small sailing boat could be commanded through server borders having the command permission only (no manage permission added), being not the owner of the boat

This sounds like a bug, I'll try to verify that. Did it make you the owner on the other side?

So it's pretty much done now! I hope you all find it helpful. :)

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 1