Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

WurmAPI - create your own Wurm world

Maybe more important to PVP - you cannot really see terrain details on mapdumps aside from large mountains/lakes and certainly not on in-game maps.  Neither is an actual elevation map, so you do not know what the terrain details are on how easy terraforming will be until you go explore there, and even then you need to dig to find out how much surface mining pain there will be.  Even releasing mapdumps was a huge controversy for PVP.   But still on PVE finding those hermit suitable places required you to risk travel on horseback (or worse noobfoot) even if you scrutinized a map dump, that is much more difficult in WO than flying around as a noclip GM in WU and should stay that way.

Of course maps are content, it is why Rolf releases new maps for that temporary population boom of people wanting to explore new content.

Edited by yarnevk

Unless something is hidden from me when i use my phone, all i see is a map data object and an entry point for the API.

EDIT:

As for the library included, it looks like the server software itself, not something specifically designed for modding.

Cannot speak for your phone but probably any archiver can open a Java Archive (.jar).  It if full of classes for everything in the game.  So yes there is no API for changing the entire game database on the fly yet, but a modder can do a lot with those classes and decompiled client/server code.

Cannot speak for your phone but probably any archiver can open a Java Archive (.jar). It if full of classes for everything in the game. So yes there is no API for changing the entire game database on the fly yet, but a modder can do a lot with those classes and decompiled client/server code.

This jar is just class library - it is needed for game, but you cannot launch or mod game using just it.

Warlander did mention that current WO maps wouldn't be added.

I still do vote with launching WU with a few extra maps,  monetarily they're cheap enough but would boost the hell out of the perceived value which... well... end of the day is the true value of things in markets.

Real world is round, that is without an edge boundary. I suppose ball shaped maps are too exotic, but an acceptable substitute would be edge-flipped maps; A move over the west edge of a rectangular map lands you at the map's east edge for example.

• Like 1

im trying to get this stuff going but i havent platyed with java in years and when i opened this in netbeans i get line errors :<

package com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api; <- incorrect package ?? (Still getting this ?)   ok nvm sorted this too

its on the mapdata and the wurmapi class :< what did i do wrong xD

on mapdata the first 7 import com lines have line error :< ok fixed this

onward!

Edited by Aradar

Well the rest of us will be waiting for someone to make a map generator for dummies edition, lol 

Working on it right now, it will have sliders for the settings so you can just adjust and press make

• Like 6

Real world is round, that is without an edge boundary. I suppose ball shaped maps are too exotic, but an acceptable substitute would be edge-flipped maps; A move over the west edge of a rectangular map lands you at the map's east edge for example.

Wurm does not work that way, what you describe is a torus world map - the surface of a donut.  In Wurm the map edge is a server connection to another world - it is why they are islands so that you can sail from one to another thru the water edge so you do not have to worry about terrain edge alignment.  It also keeps you from not seeing distant lands that have not loaded yet because you are in the middle of the ocean where there is nothing to see..

It would be interesting to see if a server farms deprives islands with resources to promote interserver trade.

Edited by yarnevk

+1 for crossing the border on the west putting you back into the map on the east

this on a map with large islands shaped like earth's continents would be very cool

+1 for crossing the border on the west putting you back into the map on the east

this on a map with large islands shaped like earth's continents would be very cool

You could probably make it 'work' by making the edge point back to the same servers other edge,  But it is not as cool as you think when cross the border seeing nothingness in front of you turn into nothingness behind you.  That is why it is oceans they can replace the nothingness with water.

So if you managed to stuff continents into tiled islands so it is always water edges it could' work.   Although if you scaled height to go with the scaled lat/long, moutains would be tiny mole hills - earth circumference  is 40000km with the biggest mountain being 9km.   If you scaled them up to wurmAPI max 1000 dirt the slopes would be too steep to climb.

Might be more interesting to rip existing isles from earth maps so you do not have scale issues. 

Edited by yarnevk

i havent had a lot of time to pour over all the api code but can someone point me to the function/s that export map data to tangable files :< please  :<

the code from what ive seen is very nicely commented i just need a friendly point in the right direction :<

i havent had a lot of time to pour over all the api code but can someone point me to the function/s that export map data to tangable files :< please  :<

the code from what ive seen is very nicely commented i just need a friendly point in the right direction :<

Files are created when API is initialized and saved when you call save method and close API.

Current WO maps won't be added, but is there any chance Rolf has the data for the old JK-Home server in its original untouched state? That's a map I'm still nostalgic for, 5 years after it's gone.

Edited by Zamiel

ok it generated a handful of .map files in a folder i told it to make but lol how do you go about making it generate a format i can open with a image editor  ?

im not so great with java :3

i did "WurmAPI.create()" in the main but it seems the only function it will let me use :< im not very lost just not quite on the right track xD

ok it generated a handful of .map files in a folder i told it to make but lol how do you go about making it generate a format i can open with a image editor  ?

i did "WurmAPI.create()" in the main but it seems the only function it will let me use :< im not very lost just not quite on the right track xD

WurmAPI.create returns WurmAPI objects, this is not a static class.

I think you're looking for the map dump functions?  createMapDump(), createTerrainDump() and createTopographicDump()?  These will take your surface and generate a map dump image that you can then save to disk.  Is that what you're trying to do?

I think you're looking for the map dump functions?  createMapDump(), createTerrainDump() and createTopographicDump()?  These will take your surface and generate a map dump image that you can then save to disk.  Is that what you're trying to do?

yes im trying to access these functions first to get a hang of things before tweaking things

Warlander, Can the api take a map dump already generated and convert it back into game map files?

Warlander, Can the api take a map dump already generated and convert it back into game map files?

Impossible to recreate map from map dump, most data is permanently lost and only small part of it can be recovered from dump.

okay thanks so reverse engineering a map dump is out :) 

ok so how do you use CreateMapdump() and other functions? :3

You have to write your own code to generate the terrain height data.  You then call the API functions to add foliage where you want them and save your data as .map files.  Once you have created your terrain data, you can call the dump functions to create map dump images of your data.

Edited by Ricowan

If anyone is just getting into this (the actual programming side using the API) and is looking for a place to start or something to reference, the code I've been working on over the weekend is here: https://github.com/BuddaT/MapGenerator

For others just wanting to hit a few buttons and get a map - I'm aiming to have this finished before WU is released, so will be available to everyone then.

Awesome news. I'm not a programmer so was disappointed to find out this map maker would be worthless to me. Thank!