Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

No servers being shut down

Hi,

while I understand that some of you are worried about the future of the servers you live on if there is a drop in population you need not be. We won't be shutting down servers unless they are virtually dead for a long time. If there is a drop it is hopefully temporary and we should see server population rise again after a while. We will also look into ways to encourage people playing Wurm Unlimited to try out the Wurm Online hosted servers.

• Like 87

that's the important part is finding ways to get the wu players enticed to join the wo version so you will need wo exclusive content 

No gloom? No doom? I mean... I just bought a steel umbrella to proect my head from the falling sky!! :P

Joking aside, thanks for the info.

• Like 2

Ill +1 this post (I ran out of positive votes), thanks Sir.

I am also kind of doing a personal WO marketing thing between colleagues, friends, family...

It's very nice to hear these specifics, especially since I just bought a bunch of mail order rares and created a new island.

Edited by Marlon

Thanks! I hope it turns out to better the game, after all, it could very well usher it into larger populations.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

in August 2009 my employer said: "We are not selling, we are not closing. We will never go away, we will always be in business."

The day after Thanksgiving November 2009 we went to work and all of the doors were locked, all of the locks were changed, the HQ in Minneapolis phone number had been shut off. Got a letter in the mail Saturday, "We have gone out of business".

Never has a timer. Always is as long as never. 

This is just a game so it won't hurt to stick around.

I don't even see us shutting down deserted servers tbh. They will still have value for the occasional explorer. I have to keep the possibility open though so I can't say that it will never happen.

• Like 22

Good post rolf, it eases alot of the uncertainty alot of people had.  Even i had originally but i had confidence you  wouldn't give up on your pride and joy.

I see each server as the same server when they are connected with borders like differnt parts of the wurmiverse just with differnt Freedom channels :)

One thing that I've noticed in this game is that although people are always screaming to change this or change that, when they are presented with actual change they totally freak out. Sometimes I get it....when you have invested a LOT of time in something that the games mechanic controls, and that investment is totally devalued by a change in the mechanic it's annoying to say the least. However, many times it's just people totally scared of what they don't know and understand.

What will the effect be...dunno...so it's got to be bad! it's got to be because Rolf is selling out! it's got to be *insert pet gripe here*

This is a great game Rolf and I for one can't see you wrecking your own creation. It's nice you give reassurance to the doubters. But you must know better than anyone - they've always been there, and always will :)

I really wish you can make more money somehow......then be in a position to hire more staff, do more stuff, and yes.....eventually turn around to the world and announce..."I told you so!"

• Like 4

Considering how bad things got when JKH shut down plus a couple of other disasters and the game didn't go away I'd say Rolf is true to his word on this as much as he can be.

I think wu is going to do extremity well i hope you get that nest egg built up and have a little extra to keep wo going with new content for years to come :) 

• Like 2

good news :) but i do love how many people were like rats leaving a sinking ship before they even knew what was going to happen lol 

• Like 2

Some people might be worried about shuting down some of the ghostown servers. This isnt my personal concern though. My main concern is, that if I WANTED to play a game with like 50-100 other people on all the servers available combined I would do exactly that....in another game, as there are several others available. The playerbase of WO is already very small and its deminishing in numbers since its peak at the release of Xanadu (which is natural to a certain point). It'll be a slow process until WO will hit that small numbers as I have stated above (I presume that a large number of players will leave at the release of WU, some will come back after a certain amount of time, some wont), but over time the player count will become smaller and smaller. You might not even see premium numbers going down for quite some time, but the servers will be emptier than most already are.

........ but the servers will be emptier than most already are.

So do something about it......build communities. We have just combined 3 villages into one, and everyone is happier for it.

• Like 2

Great news ... ppl who buy unlimited version need to know there is WO ..

So do something about it......build communities. We have just combined 3 villages into one, and everyone is happier for it.

That doesnt raise the number of players, nor will it stop those from leaving who are determined to leave. While I personally find villages that have more people living in them more enjoyable its not what this is all about

Some people might be worried about shuting down some of the ghostown servers. This isnt my personal concern though. My main concern is, that if I WANTED to play a game with like 50-100 other people on all the servers available combined I would do exactly that....in another game, as there are several others available. The playerbase of WO is already very small and its deminishing in numbers since its peak at the release of Xanadu (which is natural to a certain point). It'll be a slow process until WO will hit that small numbers as I have stated above (I presume that a large number of players will leave at the release of WU, some will come back after a certain amount of time, some wont), but over time the player count will become smaller and smaller. You might not even see premium numbers going down for quite some time, but the servers will be emptier than most already are.

• Like 1

Thanks Rolf

Thats good news! Cause the real wurm online will always be the real wurm online for me :)

• Like 3

That doesnt raise the number of players, nor will it stop those from leaving who are determined to leave. While I personally find villages that have more people living in them more enjoyable its not what this is all about

And what about the people that find wurm unlimited just from steam and enjoy it so much that they want to come to the mmo version to play with other people have you not factored them into the equation at all? 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3