Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

So - Does this mean a new dev team to manage the "unlimited" stuff? How will the "overworked and underpaid" current devs be able to handle what is clearly another very large persistent workload. Is the MMO version going to be the redheaded stepchild? Who will be focusing on what?

All I have ever heard since playing this game is how short staffed CC is.....well. We getting new devs or? Im finding it hard to believe that they will just continue as normal.

If you really think Wurm Unlimited players will move to Wurm Online for any reason you are wrong.

Wurm Unlimited will be like using cheat codes on Wurm Online. Do you still play games without cheat codes you used/abused cheat codes on before? Anyway, do you still play that games ? :D

As soon as i use cheat codes on a game (GTA or any other game, online or single player) it starts quickly removing my interest on the game and i stop playing it really quickly.

I don't play it at all, with or without cheat codes. So how can you think players on Wurm Unlimited will come on Wurm Online to do the SAME things (1st boring) they did but in a WAY LONGER TIME (2nd boring).

Edited by Syhl
  • Like 2

They clearly only care about making money. If this online version died they hope that Wurm unlimited will be like Minecraft and replace it.

They don't care about what we care about.

Think about pvp for a sec.  Great way to host "Challenge" like pvp events.  Invite everyone to a weekend of mayhem. 

Treasure hunts for friends.  Since servers can be linked, invite everyone over to your server for the hunt, then wipe it when completed.

So many possibilities here.

You raise a good point with this comment. Other games have vibrant communities when they host on private servers as well. I don't have as much experience with this aspect unfortunately.

I think the comments around trying out WU with sped up skill gains and then plunging into the online grind and leaving for good sound very plausible. I think that's roughly the same model that Challenge provided so not convinced results will be much different.

The other concern is financial. One time potentially big paycheck to Code club. Will it make up for the potential loss in premium and deed revenues of the online servers?

In my case I play Freedom largely with a few friends in my alliance. If I could export my deed and chars to a private server along with the deeds of other alliance members then the need for freedom online largely goes way. The trade aspect of the game is already largely diminished and sailing times etc make the who travel around Freedom thing less enjoyable. 

The bonus to the export would be no need to maintain premium on my Freedom chars at all.

Epic playtime is currently different. The private server option doesn't appeal provided the current communities stay relatively intact.

Personally this move could make the game incredibly cost effective for me depending on Steam price. For the overall game loss of revenue to CodeClub could really curtail development rather then speed it up.

What is apparent is that keeping things how they have been isn't enough so CodeClub is trying to shake things up to make their game grow.

If you really think Wurm Unlimited players will move to Wurm Online for any reason you are wrong.

Wurm Unlimited will be like using cheat codes on Wurm Online. Do you still play games without cheat codes you used/abused cheat codes on before? Anyway, do you still play that games ? :D

As soon as i use cheat codes on a game (GTA or any other game, online or single player) it starts quickly removing my interest on the game and i stop playing it really quickly.

I don't play it at all, with or without cheat codes. So how can you think players on Wurm Unlimited will come on Wurm Online to do the SAME things (1st boring) they did but in a WAY LONGER TIME (2nd boring).

ARK Survival Evolved allows players to adjust game settings just like Wurm Unlimited will, these 'cheat codes' server are actually more popular than the official ones. People will find their own balance in difficulty. That the game allows for cheating by making it too easy doesn't mean everyone will...

They clearly only care about making money. If this online version died they hope that Wurm unlimited will be like Minecraft and replace it.

They don't care about what we care about.

Yep being succesful is an absolute travesty. 

• Like 1

For Wurm Online pvpers this is wonderful!

Players playing on singleplayer and multiplayer will learn core concepts like the gods, kingdoms, fighting system, and crafting.

These players learning in singleplayer will be more interested in the idea of playing on the multiplayer set up, groups on multiplayer are most likely going to consider playing on Chaos or Elevation at some point in the future, being headed by the leaders they pick from their own servers.

Increased amounts of pmk's and greater numbers in current kingdoms are two very obvious benefits PVP players will recieve, in the end there is not negative for them.

Freedom however, could see some negatives. Many players who have been clamouring for a single player game, or simply wanting to play with friends may find Wurm Unlimited more appealing. This of course reduces the community of these servers and could negatively effect the game. However new players could learn about their actions in adventure mode, why deforesting and entire forest is probably a bad idea. What to avoid, how to craft and more.

All in all this is an excellent compromise to the old "Steam Greenlight" question of whether or not to do it. Wurm is being sent out to a more mainstream market while not necessarily shipping the mmo itself causing an influx of super confused and destructive new players.

• Like 3

I really don't understand this, why make the game offline mode? You could release on steam the same wurm were playing instead make this? I don't even. :mellow:

• Like 2

I guess I'll be the odd man out to say this isn't that bad of an idea.  The problem is people are looking at this viewpoint as a player, and not as the game as a business.  You have to always remember in the end games are a business to someone.  As fun as they are, people work for them, and receive a paycheck.  At the end of the day the criteria of fun and entertainment must be met, but not at the sacrifice of potential revenue.  I thought about it for awhile, and like many I said, "Wow, that's pretty stupid."  Then I thought more about it, and I thought of the whole Bashur incident.

Bashur came along, and brought many with him, but why didn't he really stick around?  The community.  He was forced to join into another existing community pool where he no control, was attacked, taken advantage of, and pretty much chased out of.  Was the game enjoyable for him?  Sure, it appeared so.  Was the overall experience?  No, he didn't seem to enjoy the game that much because he was harassed and received special treatment.  Imagine, however, if Bashur had the ability to create his own public or private server, a gated community where he had control, where he could invite players in?  He would easily ease in a few hundred accounts to play alongside him in his server, set by his rules, and with full control.  It's not always enjoyable for some people to have such less control in a game, some enjoy the idea of owning a server, land, and running a community.  Look at DayZ, Minecraft, Counter-Strike, Reign of Kings, Ark Online, MMO-WoW/Everquest Emulators, Garry's Mod, or whatever game.  They almost all have private servers and communities, each different.  That's a huge selling point for games.  

Streamers/Youtubers/Losers want to have control, they want to run their communities with rules for they aren't constantly griefed and oppressed by external players.  Yes, this may not be the most enjoyable solution to everyone currently playing, but I think it is actually a good business model to run off of.  I think also in the long run you will see it draw in more players with communities, and streamers/youtubers will become interested in it now that they can control the world, players, and rules.  I would bet you in a matter of time a few large name youtube/streamers will start a community.  

This community is pretty toxic, don't be shocked that people want external private servers for their communities.  It's a respectable desire in games.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 22

ARK Survival Evolved allows players to adjust game settings just like Wurm Unlimited will, these 'cheat codes' server are actually more popular than the official ones. People will find their own balance in difficulty. That the game allows for cheating by making it too easy doesn't mean everyone will...

ARK is based around riding/taming dinosaurs while making shoddy fortifications and fast paced pvp in a very action based 3d world with beutiful graphics...

Wurm gameplay is mainly about grinding skills and terraforming/building.

By speeding up things in ARK players more quickly get to the thing the players want... The gigantic dinosaurs and PVP. https://youtu.be/W-8ZP7UoRV8

In wurm by speeding it up you dont really "get anywhere".

Bashur came along, ... but why didn't he really stick around? 

The girls and woman that play wurm was too old.

• Like 1

I am very excited about this.

Think about singleplayer games like Skyrim or Sims, people play those for years and years without getting bored,  and if they suddenly had a chance to go online with friends, a lot of them would but largely because they first grew to love the game in singleplayer mode.  (Sims Online failed for completely different reasons, it was not just adding multiplayer functions to the singleplayer game. Same with Elder Scrolls Online; I tried the beta but it was so completely different than the base game that I never was interested enough to get past the tutorial.)

I think this will succeed in developing a lot of new fans who would never join Wurm Online today now, but once they have enjoyed the singleplayer mode and seen everything the game can offer, can decide it is time to jump into the Online version.

Nevermind, just found out that the game is STEAM ONLY which means I am out 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

I guess I'll be the odd man out to say this isn't that bad of an idea.  The problem is people are looking at this viewpoint as a player, and not as the game as a business.  You have to always remember in the end games are a business to someone.  As fun as they are, people work for them, and receive a paycheck.  At the end of the day the criteria of fun and entertainment must be met, but not at the sacrifice of potential revenue.  I thought about it for awhile, and like many I said, "Wow, that's pretty stupid."  Then I thought more about it, and I thought of the whole Bashur incident.

Bashur came along, and brought many with him, but why didn't he really stick around?  The community.  He was forced to join into another existing community pool where he no control, was attacked, taken advantage of, and pretty much chased out of.  Was the game enjoyable for him?  Sure, it appeared so.  Was the overall experience?  No, he didn't seem to enjoy the game that much because he was harassed and received special treatment.  Imagine, however, if Bashur had the ability to create his own public or private server, a gated community where he had control, where he could invite players in?  He would easily ease in a few hundred accounts to play alongside him in his server, set by his rules, and with full control.  It's not always enjoyable for some people to have such less control in a game, some enjoy the idea of owning a server, land, and running a community.  Look at DayZ, Minecraft, Counter-Strike, Reign of Kings, Ark Online, MMO-WoW/Everquest Emulators, Garry's Mod, or whatever game.  They almost all have private servers and communities, each different.  That's a huge selling point for games.  

Streamers/Youtubers/Losers want to have control, they want to run their communities with rules for they aren't constantly griefed and oppressed by external players.  Yes, this may not be the most enjoyable solution to everyone currently playing, but I think it is actually a good business model to run off of.  I think also in the long run you will see it draw in more players with communities, and streamers/youtubers will become interested in it now that they can control the world, players, and rules.  I would bet you in a matter of time a few large name youtube/streamers will start a community.

This community is pretty toxic, don't be shocked that people want external private servers for their communities.  It's a respectable desire in games.

The problem is that it's in an incredibly stupid buisiness plan. They seem to want to take a short route and instead of fixing their game they throw it with all its problems at you and say "knock yourself out". Honestly, how many here are expecting this to actually go smoothly considering that nearly nothing did in the history of wurm online? And how is this a suistanable buisiness model? I can already see a hundred private servers with each having 2 players tops. Most will probably be single player but then where's the joy? It will be really fun for about a week but will lose all of it after that, and you won't be playing the normal WO either because that will have lost it's fun aswell. I don't see this going well whichever way you look at it.

I can already see a hundred private servers with each having 2 players tops.

That's still $$$.  

It's great for the game and rolf, only existing multiplayer players get screwed.

• Like 1

The problem is that it's in an incredibly stupid buisiness plan. *snip*

I think Notch can give you a billion reasons or so as to why this may actually work nicely.

• Like 2

That's still $$$.  

Did you even read the rest of my post? Sure it's $$$, but for how long? I imagine only a few will bigger ones will stick around while the rest will all have left out of boredom. Have you never played a private server before?

how is this more $$$ than wurm online is currently making? I can only imagine this working if codeclub is on the edge of bankruptcy, just so they can drain a few shekels to do something with quickly. Other than that is bullsh$t.

Nah, I don't read other's opinions because I'm never wrong.  Mongols won.

• Like 7

I think Notch can give you a billion reasons or so as to why this may actually work nicely.

Minecraft is not a private server version of one big game. It's multiplayer community is by far it's minority. It's a completely different game that didn't have 800 players peaking when it was being hyped. I don't know where you want to go with this.

Not to mention steam is extremely wary of games like this since the huge influx of crappy indie games. Wurm onlines gameplay definitely won't make a good impression.

All in all unless Rolf manages to pull this off extremely well it won't succeed. Judging by his history of doing this the chances of him being able to pull it off properly are somewhere near 0.

Permanent premium? I doubt that can be done. That would mean Code Club receives no income from premium any more and would thus totally rely on silver sale and Steam sales.

Actually speaking as someone who has read literature on freemium sales models I have to say that wurm is uniquely suited for it, especially the (much more numerous) PvE players.  A buy to play model with cash shop has shown to be very successful over the years with numerous mmorpgs whereas the premium model is slowly dying out.  With some time working on wurm's weaker aspects (stub skills being a major one) I think a buy to play model for wurm could work quite well, especially if the steam release is a success.

Something worth noting is that wurm has a lot of potential for aesthetic items that can be sold, thus avoiding the cash/power issue a lot of mmorpgs face with their cash shop.  Combined with the existing deed system (that gurentees an income of some kind) it would be safe to say wurm's costs would be met and the devs paid.

Baaahahaha all you no-lifer's who grinded your life away for a higher database number to increase your epeen size q.q'ing!!!

As someone who's been following/playing wurm since Jan 2007....This is a good move!! I wana run a WURM server !! 

Baaahahaha all you no-lifer's who grinded your life away for a higher database number to increase your epeen size q.q'ing!!!

As someone who's been following/playing wurm since Jan 2007....This is a good move!! I wana run a WURM server !! 

My total wurm playtime is like 20 days and my highest skill is 60. I'm still complaining because this is a move that WILL kill wurm online.

I remember during the archage alpha and release people called me crazy aswell for predicting how the game would die and I even got a forum perma ban, but I was the one laughing when it happened exactly the way I predicted it would have.

this WILL kill wurm.

• Like 1

Unless they do something huge to actual Wurm online as well, I'm out. RIP wurm

Sign in to follow this