Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Hi,

this is a thread where you can ask questions about the Wurm Unlimited release announced here. We will usually not answer immediately here but instead compile a handy FAQ from these. Please check to make sure noone else has posted the same question before.

• Like 3

Are you worried that this will be used to find potential exploits and bugs which will create issues in the real world of wurm?

Are you worried that these servers will be used as a testing ground for new, better hacks (map hacks, macros and the like)?

Are you worried that this may split up the existing player base further?

• Like 2

Can Wurm Unlimited players join Wurm Online servers and vice versa? (Kinda like going through the Epic portal)

Or are they completely separate?

Er... So is this now a buy once option or a Subscription model ??

Also... Nooooooooooooooooooooo ?

Will the code act similar to either chaos or epic notably with artifacts/hota etc? And will the game be updated to match the existing servers on periodic DLC?

What exactly went through your mind while thinking this would be a good idea?

• Like 6

Do you plan on releasing the server files or are you hosting these servers for us?

Several questions spring to mind....

1) Does the Steam version allow access to our existing server clusters? I hope not as thousands of newbies would quickly trash the servers I think.

2) How does deeding work on these new servers? Do we still need to use silver to pay for it?

3) Can you download a local map, set it up how you want and deed the entire thing? (lol!)

Several questions spring to mind....

1) Does the Steam version allow access to our existing server clusters? I hope not as thousands of newbies would quickly trash the servers I think.

Considering the tremendous ammount of hackers and coders on steam... What do you think will happen to the current servers and playerbase when the server code is available to the public?

Have any changes been made to things like combat? Latency and such could be much less of an issue on privately hosted servers as the users could all live much closer to it, so I'd imagine that opens up more options for improvements to the combat.

If no changes have been made, don't you expect that the combat will turn off a lot of people?

With the live MMO having issues with low pvp populations and slow gameplay compared to many other games, how do you forsee PvP working on an even smaller scale on privately hosted servers?

Will there be configurable options to enable faster skillgains and actions (ala Challenge), or are you fully expecting private servers to run for a number of years with an invested playerbase, which will likely number in the tens rather than hundreds?

I feel I must also second earlier questions about bugs/exploits - giving people access host and run their own version of the live game is going to allow people to find a lot more issues, which means they will likely become more prevalent on the MMO - and given that often people are allowed to keep ill-gotten gains after they report these exploits, what measures will be taken to reduce the impact of this?  Especially in competitive terms? 

Edit: Anyone else reading into this as "WTS Wurm"

Edited by aamanus

Will people be allowed to host commercial servers where they charge people to play?

• Like 2

I kinda think this is a great step Rolf, and i think you nay sayers should take a moment and think about it

I think it will increase Official server player base while offering a fun creative mode we can keep our world saved in unlike the test server, i feel this is really getting wurm out there and add more playability , now we will have a few more clients open playing around in creative, while we grind on official x)

what i am most excited about i guess is the sheer amount of people who will start fixing small things, writing mods , texture packs, expanding the game adding new items and all that cool crazy stuff, which will only benefit the game in the end, you being able to see

we will see a few flavors of challenge rehashed on a dedicated server for sure,

but honestly and truely the best part i think is the offical servers its one of the things that alot of these survival exploration games dont have, it is the life to fall back on with a huge great community already in place, 

and guys this is the important part, wurm gets to benefit from steam sales and community, while simultaneously protecting our core game that we love and not having to change all legal things with the shop and premium and selling silver and all that kind of important stuff that keeps wurm amazing, cause you know steam takes a % and if you suddenly put the real wurm online on steam then it could surely suffer.

we really have only to benefit from this :)

and my questions are

1. will it get workshop integration? :P

2. will there be procedural/random map generation for creative, or even import from heightmap/ hand crafting /tile painting tools outside of creative mode itself?

3. how will deed upkeep and economy work? how will you make silver in adventure mode ? or will you need to?

Edited by Aum
  • Like 14

Will you allow people to monetize their private servers?

Can people opt-in to test features and ideas before they are rolled to Live?

Will the local servers be scaled down, or will any features of current live servers be held back?

Will there be any linking between private servers and live servers? I'd hope not for skills and items, but what about account names in a similar way Freedom and Epic are linked yet separate?

• Like 1

Love it!

a steam release that won't ruin the base game.

and private servers!!!

the only thing I'd like to know is the pricing :)

oh and if you'll have like a server browser or something, not sure if that will be needed.

This is pretty much what life is Feudal does as well, not? only you have the mmo ready and they are still building it.

Edit: oh and will we be able to change the rates on the private servers? like speed up everything a bit.

Edit 2: found the answer already, yes we can :)

Edited by Timoca
  • Like 1

Can Wurm Unlimited players join Wurm Online servers and vice versa? (Kinda like going through the Epic portal)

Or are they completely separate?

Completely separate. Allowing modified characters to the live servers would be crazy:)

• Like 11

Are you worried that this will be used to find potential exploits and bugs which will create issues in the real world of wurm?

Are you worried that these servers will be used as a testing ground for new, better hacks (map hacks, macros and the like)?

Are you worried that this may split up the existing player base further?

• Like 29

There's always that risk but we have dealt with exploits as they arise since the beginning. Client modification is still not allowed. This process has been ongoing since first release date. So I'm not very worried.

Some people will migrate to the private servers of course. Some people will return for various reasons. New people will hopefully come - people who haven't discovered the game or tried it and quit for whatever reason. The idea is that these people can explore the game in a more relaxed fashion. We can only guess what the net amount is but chances are very good that it is positive. What we do know is that we lose a lot of newbies. We have 5000 premium customers left today from several hundred thousand who have tried the game and quit after a few minutes for various reasons. And several million who have never heard about Wurm and never will unless we do something like this. Releasing only the client on Steam would be "just another MMO client people don't care about". This is actually offering something to people.

Edited by ThisIsRaffeh

steam trading cards?
new term for new people steamers

achievements?

trading for steam credit?

serious question those things as really is it just going to be just a different version of wurm or are we actually going to get steam specific things as well?

Will you allow people to monetize their private servers?

Can people opt-in to test features and ideas before they are rolled to Live?

Will the local servers be scaled down, or will any features of current live servers be held back?

Will there be any linking between private servers and live servers? I'd hope not for skills and items, but what about account names in a similar way Freedom and Epic are linked yet separate?

• Like 1