Sign in to follow this  
Tich

New Permissions (Part 7) - Door Permissions

This is the seventh in the series and is to do with which has priority deed, building or door.

And Includes the Door Permissions, which is what I will start with.

Door Permissions

Currently

none.

Proposed

When managing a building, you can bring up a list of all doors in that building.

List will show/allow:

• Door name - name given to the door, blank initially
  • Door type - e.g. "Wooden double door"
  • What level its on - for multi-story buildings. 0 = ground floor.
  • If it has a lock - Cannot be managed if it does not have a lock.
  • If its locked - Just an indication if the door it locked.
  • If being controlled by building. - Default for doors is that they are controlled by the building.

​The list will allow selection of doors that have a lock so you can manage that door.

Available permissions on each door(per person/group) are..

• "Manage Item" - Allows management of the door. Removed as will be using the building "Manage Item" permissions.
  • "Pass Door" - Allows passing through this door if its locked.
  • "Set Rent" - Allows setting of the rent on this door. Removed as cant tell what is a room easilly, or if anyone has logged off in it.
  • "Deny All" - Excludes the Group/Player from passing this door if its locked.. Note You cannot deny the owner of the building.

"Controlled By Building" flag 

This flag defaults to being ticked when a door is added.

if set then door permissions are ignored and the building permission "May Enter" is used in lieu of the door permissions "Pass Door". 

Can rename or manage permissions for a door by r-clicking if have the appropriate permission (and it has a lock)..

When converting to the new permissions system, the "Controlled By Building" flag will be set on all doors.

Priority deed, building or door

Door Permissions are only valid if the "Controlled By Building" is not ticked.

Building Permissions are always used once the ground floor is complete.

Deed Permissions are used when not in a finished building.

Assuming on a deed... there is one exception...

• Following planning a building ("Plan Building" deed permission),
  • Once the plan is finalized (also "Plan Building" deed permission),
  • Then anyone with building permissions to "Modify Building" can build walls even if the ground floor is not complete.
  • But also anyone with the "Build" deed permission can help with the ground floor walls.
  • Like 5

Set rent is a GREAT GREAT feature.

I am not thinking of rent per se, but more like tolls - like gatehouses where you need to pay some money to pass through, toll bridges or getting items from behind a door or why not buy horses without needing the whole key/lock/copy mess

The possibilities of a door where you need to pay to pass are ENDLESS!

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 1

Set rent is a GREAT GREAT feature.

I am not thinking of rent per se, but more like tolls - like gatehouses where you need to pay some money to pass through, toll bridges or getting items from behind a door or why not buy horses without needing the whole key/lock/copy mess

The possibilities of a door where you need to pay to pass are ENDLESS!

• Like 1

Why not? What are the downsides? I see none really...just one feature missing completely...

Aye have been hoping this would function for toll booths.

But It wont be in this release, if ever.

I also thought about historic sites, or places built for the community - a few coppers to enter and visit them allows the (community) deeds to sustain themselves

Take for example a temple, built as a sermon site for everyone to use, why punish the owner or force him to either fork out of his own pocket OR beg for donations when he could just have an entrance fee at the door to keep the place going?

It makes perfect sense

• Like 1

I dont even see how paid doors would work if you set them to be a time paid kind of thing then people can get trapped and if you try to set them as entry and exit then you have to figure out a way to establish between the two so exit can always be allowed.  (seems like more trouble then it would be worth in the end to me) 

I dont even see how paid doors would work if you set them to be a time paid kind of thing then people can get trapped and if you try to set them as entry and exit then you have to figure out a way to establish between the two so exit can always be allowed.  (seems like more trouble then it would be worth in the end to me) 

Edited by Thorakkanath

Have people pay for a pass token so they can enter and exit a door once. 

Having individual door permissions would allow the ability to set up boarding houses and barracks on deed,

• Like 2

The set rent plan needs to come back Tich!

Bulk sales at a market. Pay to enter locked door, take goods, leave.

Renting rooms at taverns. Exclusive access to a room after paying the renting fee.

Horse sales

Sales of things like armour sets where you don't want to take up 9 slots on your merchant (Which btw needs a larger capacity)

Also selling bulk kits all together that have no room to be placed in a locked container (largest lockable container that cannot be moved easily is a large chest and 300 units of volume is very small for some kits) - a room in a building solves ALL of that - cannot be moved, loaded and has pretty much infinite volume :D

Yeah it does seem that setting rent for a door could be troublesome and probably impossible at the current time.  Thank you for the insight Tich.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Perhaps if you could rent entire buildings, since a room isn't easily determined, that'd be cool.

• Like 1

need to mimic this for doors...

Sell a key on merchant that opens a door for the key holder and once inside the person can do whatever the building allows. Let the owner reset the lock to make the access no longer valid.

Logging out in a building often kicks you out of building when you log back in.

Edited by joedobo

Perhaps if you could rent entire buildings, since a room isn't easily determined, that'd be cool.

Or just pay to open X door, no need to call it 'rent' at all and then you don't need to worry about what is a room and what is not, all you care about is a door

Then you could have:

• one-time open just like in

1. Have people pay for a pass token so they can enter and exit a door once. 

Having individual door permissions would allow the ability to set up boarding houses and barracks on deed,

• ​​time-based open like in 

The systems exist in game already:

1. when lockpicking a door, you can pass through it just fine for 10 min (and I am very sure the 10 min is just a variable) - similarly, when you pay you have a predetermined (or manually set) time to go in and out at will

2. during treasure hunts it became clear that there is a system that lets you go in a door, but once you got out you cannot go in afterwards - similarly, after the time set at point 1 is over, you can always exit the premises but you cannot go back in without paying again

very very simple and at most you need 1 pop-up to tell the player that pays how long is the paid access for (or even use event tab, no need for pop-up)

and the timer set by the owner can be in the same door management window, becoming active and changeable once you activate the 'set rent' option

And if you use 1+2 it means that as long as you don't exit you can stay there even after your paid time there has expired, and that is completely fine! You are not trapped there in any way due to point 2

PS. @being more trouble than it's worth - they are already doing a complete overhaul of the permission settings, it would cause even more trouble in the long run if they do not go all the way - I mean if you are gonna do something, do it right! no point in half measures :) Besides, this complete overhaul has no (public) deadline set, so no rush - I would bet most wurmians are fine with the 'slow but good' approach (it's the nature of the game anyway)

Edited by Thorakkanath

What I like best about this Door Permissions is that you can allow players to enter some doors in a house and disallow it for others. A pretty simple concept but in application it allows for a lot more control of house door access.

As an example. I have a house that has an outside entrance that I want everyone to be able to access for a safe house retreat from aggros. Then another door on another wall that opens into the mine which I don't want anyone to enter. Then another door that leads into a section of the deed that I don't want anyone to enter. Currently this is not possible, as checking *Allow Kingdom to enter* will let them access every door and enter areas where I don't want them to, so this new Door Permissions option for each of them is an excellent addition.

Tolls, renting rooms, seems a petty grasping of coins to me. The real benefits of door permissions are as the possibilities that I have mentioned above. Let your mind expand with the possibilities, with caution though for those with less imaginative capacity. Brain particles all over the walls are a real mess to clean up. Well done Tich!

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Why not? What are the downsides? I see none really...just one feature missing completely...

I cant imagine a universe where people WANT toll bridges, for one.

It's a sandbox, it's all about having the possibilities to build anything you want

we also need part 8 permisions for merchants and option to menage and control them  over borders. also to change owner of merchant without meeting 

i hope tich read that :D

i liked renting rooms - its would create the people who staying - example inns and boarding houses

people can setup keys to give to them as they pay weekly

so

example

Master key (Owner + Managers) this allows to open any doors overriding any locks/permission that player has set to

Renter room/house key (paying players) key opens the doors that key are set in also allows renter to unlock/lock the permissions for others eg friends or something else - also can set expiry date for rent - hovering over the key will show when its due to pay rent

if renter has unpaid rent and key will show rent is due or overdue if its hovered over the key also landlord could mail to renter to remind the rent or eviction

once renter evicted - the key in inventory will show evicted and player has to return key to landord but alternatly the keys can be automaticlly returned to landlord

Pay token - simllar to renter key but used once to enter and exit the rooms or house can be set to entry or exit or both

to avoid trapping people on entry only - the other exit door set one way but pay token does not have permissions to change locks for others eg friends

Pay door - pay door - players has to pay fee to enter (another door has to set the free exit)

One way door - player enter in one direction and cant go back in other direction

The renting sounds interesting but with timed rents, what happens if the person needs to log out, or the server crashes? And what about when you let a new person onto your deed, and then they just never come back after you've given the some space. Does it become a black hole on your deed?