Sign in to follow this  
KaneHart

New player stepping by to say Hi and looking for starting advice. I plan on sharing my experience on youtube.

Hello. My name is Kane Hart. I been looking for a more hardcore MMORPG since the death of MMORPG's some 10+ years ago. I been playing mostly sandbox games like Minecraft and not the normal boring Minecraft. I ran 2 decent size communities one called Godcraft and another called Stone Legion. Godcraft has a server up where we dug for about 2 years to create the biggest legit subway system in Minecraft and also Moria.

But those days have gone and passed. The most pleasure at all is playing Modded Minecraft that still gets too boring and easy after a month of play.

So I found Wurm Online tonight and talked to a random streamer and really fell in love with the game. I been spending hours reading no crappy reviews and the wiki.

I want to play right away but before I play I want to ask for some basic advice. There is a lot of guides out there and information but I'm wanting to hear from your mouths on August 29th 2015 some basic tips and tricks you can think of.

I also want to record my play as a Let's play series so I'm wondering if there is some tips as I'm doing 30min episodes I don't want to spend the first 30min with my head cut off.

Last question:

I work from home and like to afk a lot. Clearly just like most games third party macroing etc is not allowed and clearly this is good and I hope it's heavily punished. What I'm wondering though is there longer term tasks or skills I can work on with longer pauses in between. So not Netflix worthy but tabbing out and working on whatever I need to work on then tabbing back again? For example Mining I'm not sure how long you can mine till you must perform the actions.

Thanks so much!

Kane Hart

PS this the youtube channel ignore that casual content :) There is some factorio on there somewhere :P

https://www.youtube.com/user/StoneLegionVideos

You could probably try join a village to start with any the villagers will likely help you with learning or you could just go it on your own and work it out yourself (can be pretty fun).

There are tonnes of skills which are easy to semi-afk, easy netflix worthy haha

Advice?

Keep all items (Rares, anything you really value) inside your house at all times, enclosure rules no longer exist so players can come around, knock your fences down and get away with anything you've left in any existing pens. Only put players you really trust on your structure's permissions as the writ will allow them to do virtually anything to the structure unless the structure resides in a deed (In which case the deed permissions will overwrite the structure permissions.)

If you're looking to start your own village (Deed), please read thoroughly through the permissions given and do not change the default permissions until you're confident in your understanding of said permissions.

I'm only saying this because people seem to not understand how the permission system works (Or people don't care or just get a little too confident), as there have been many thefts and break ins as of late.

Hi, Welcome to Wurm Online!

I hope you enjoy you're stay! As in AFK alot.. Please.. find a house or a safe spot.. :P We have the most evil monsters that chase down new players for hours... (No joke) :P Hehehe but you should be fine.

• Like 1

Run while you still can.

Heh, you hope Im just kidding. ;)

Anyways, same thing I tell anyone. Read the wiki or wurmpedia, and mess around on a basic account (or even go for premium right off the bat, its up to you).

Some of the wiki is based on guesswork and player mucking about; however, its still invaluable.

Don't get yourself burnt out trying to do everything with multiple alts. Join a moderately active village that actually helps people and doesn't just use 'n abuse.

Is there characters or a way to delete the main character so I can mess around then delete and start fresh doing my series?

i've actually been looking for someone like you to follow me around with a camera while I dunk on nerds on chaos.

• Like 1

Welcome!

I don't have much to add, the guys above covered most of it.

You'll find that some parts of the social side of things, might or might not work for you, learn to immerse, and tune out of things you don't like. Tune into the parts you do.

Read the wiki alot, enjoy CA Help, and find your way. The beginning is hard and slow, but it works out, and we're here to help.

Regards

M

• Like 1

Is there characters or a way to delete the main character so I can mess around then delete and start fresh doing my series?

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

What Kegan said.

However once that char has had prem, even once, it will not be deleted as per the current policy Rolf goes by.

Quite some time ago there was once a char I hadn't used in the two or three years prior. Logged it in and it was just fine. Inventory, skills, everything.

Edited by Klaa

Welcome and remember you can't kill anything in this game at the beginning. No not even that deer there.

• Like 1

First of all, you will play PvE or PvP?
You will play alone or in a village (deed) ?
You have some plans? wurm is like, throw you there and you are free to do anything you want...

One of the most important thinks is a get a safe shelter, like a pen, house or cave. Everything moving can kill you at start, not joke about that.But run out of stamina is the most dangerous outside.
Once you get that, you can start on everything else.
i suggest play with a free account at first, which is capped at 20 skill for everything, once you reached that then buy a premium subscription,

First of all, you will play PvE or PvP?

You will play alone or in a village (deed) ?

You have some plans? wurm is like, throw you there and you are free to do anything you want...

One of the most important thinks is a get a safe shelter, like a pen, house or cave. Everything moving can kill you at start, not joke about that.But run out of stamina is the most dangerous outside.

Once you get that, you can start on everything else.

i suggest play with a free account at first, which is capped at 20 skill for everything, once you reached that then buy a premium subscription,

I was considering PvE as PvP really has no interest to me besides more mini games or say some rare resources on a island you go to etc.. But I don't enjoy confrontation all the time. 

I was considering starting alone and working my way to making friends and then village? Not sure if one single person can make their own village or house... Can I just literately go somewhere and start building? Maybe make friends but live outside of town in the woods :)?

I like Mining and Farming etc.. I work from home one thing I'm wondering is there actions I can perform that take longer then 15 seconds like 5min to mine?  Easy tabbing back and forth while working on my project (Work).

Welcome! I'm subed and looking forward to some new Streams ;)

Where to start:

Look at the front page of the Wurm client. (Middle right-hand side) Those numbers are currently logged in players (and alts) on each server.

Xanadu is the newest and largest server and as such is the more popular server. (More people talking in server chat) Server is quite huge however so there's a good chance you could start up somewhere far from others and i'd imagine there's still plenty of undisturbed land. (Players haven't modified it yet)

Downside, and it may no longer be an issue (I wouldn't know as I moved back to Pristine very early on). The lag was much worse on Xanadu. More players, more actions, more mobs, = more lag.

And if you change your mind, just remember... you can always move. :) Moving out can be a great adventure in itself.

Long actions:

Fishing

Leveling (Dirt, Sand, Mine floor)

Probably more but they're not coming to me at the moment...

The more mind logic you get, the more actions you can queue up.

many people will get mad for this, but economy are broke, If you want try to get money in game (and you will need it eventually), be aware of something:
For low leve skill, most people only buy items in bulk aka 1000 thinks, most dont want buy less and be careful with prices some players want to pay the cheapest prices (less of "real" price, specially from newcomers what dont know the prices). Making that amount will take a huge amount of time, you will take many failures in the job aka need more time to fullfill the order. People have alts for make more work at same time, keep in mind that too. Other issue is deliver the bulk, free players only can drive a row boat, and limites in the amount of weight can drag in land, so will take  some time to deliver it (and some deads if not lucky); as premium if you have enough skills you can drive carts, wagon and most ships, so this will not a huge problem.
At mid and high level, depends of what you are selling, prices are more competives, and need good materials and good grind to get enough quality to sell. Priest are only for premium and have restrictions, but can "enchant" tools, weapons and armour, but again need good grind first.

Other way of get money, is selling at tokens, merchants or traders, limited to 5 copper per hour. Foraging and botanizing is good to, you can sell them at token/merchant/trader, Both options, if you are lucky, can get rare coins, that count as normal coins in the bank. At higher skills the times will be reducted (except for sell).

You can buy money or subscription (premium for x month) with real money or pay premium with ingame money (more expensive).

Keep in mind, the diference between free and premium account skill limitations (you can check it at wiki). Wurm is not good at keep players, many people try to get some money making bulk items, and quit after get bore of the repetive actions for many hours...

Remember wurm is a game, so have fun, try to not worry about stuff you will be able to do anything you want, when have enough experince

Edited by tamat

I was considering PvE as PvP really has no interest to me besides more mini games or say some rare resources on a island you go to etc.. But I don't enjoy confrontation all the time.

PvP servers are 95% PVE, u dont have confrontations all the time.

Kane, welcome to the game - you can make a house, or an entire deed by yourself (I have, though my alliance buddies are invaluable!). The guides on the Wurmpedia are really helpful to read through before you get started.

(And if you ever pop past Release, say hi!)

Edited by LilyPhoenix

Try not to end up like that guy who was banned for taking someone's stuff with a key lying around on YouTube.