Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

Selling Toons

Ahoy there

So, this is by no means criticism, or judgement. I just need to know, understand, it'll help me cope.

I want to know why people BUY skilled toons... I already why they sell them... money. People would sell their all their limbs if they could.

Some reasons I doubt or question the motive itself:

1. 80% of the fun of my time starting up in Wurm, was the survival, the research, learning and getting the skills. Your little 25ql mallet that you made and imp'd as hard as you could, meant a lot to you... and hey, I got to my level of skills without buying it.

2. If you're not in it for the fun, you just want to 'pay and win' basically, you're competitive, in which case there's so much other things you can get better pleasures from. Why waste time, just shelling out cash, logging in, and then be a super skilled toon, who doesn't know anything... ('cool, i have 90 mining, so what can I do with it')

3. I would feel kind of funny knowing that the 60 woodcutter in front of me worked hard, knows every trick of every tree, and where they grow, and my 80 is, bought.

4. Lastly, it's superficial. I am Marlon. I don't want to buy say, Raybarg's toon, and then "be raybarg". My identity is part of what I am here. I want to know that the JimJim that I spoke to last week, is the same guy, and not suddenly a completely different guy. It's like he is now possessed.

Just want to understand it, honestly, before I actually start becoming judgemental, and see the threads, and think "wow, lazy"... 

:ph34r:

• Like 2

lol I was here way before a lot of people here today, sold my account took a break and have come back, looking to buy a new account.

All part of the economy!

Edited by Soardad

From my own point of view, i have my main account i want to spend 90% of my time working on, and i buy alts (priests) etc so i dont waste time grinding the same skills again over and over for a account that only gets used now and again. but that's just the way I see it.

• Like 2

Soardad: that makes sense to me actually. Since my question is not about your ethics, but your personal 'feel' about it, I can dig it.

Having played for long, skilling, selling, and coming back years later, makes a ton of sense not to want to go through it all again. I did though, since I felt like filling in the gaps I missed, but then, my first char from newtown days was not that skilled really.

Buying priests makes sense too. I have an alt I want to use for mining while I am busy, but it feels like I have to redo everything I already did, just so he can give me ore at half my own ql.

Noted. fair enough.

Theory: At some point, everyone will have a bought account I guess, no one will start from scratch, unless they want to be the only ones at low level, which will kill that part of the game off though. 

Edited by Marlon

people buy accounts for different reasons. im sure you could think of a couple

of reasons why other people would choose that route, even if you yourself

wouldnt do it in a zillion years. 

I buy and sell accounts. Mainly because accounts = time for me. I dont have the time to get 90 BS for example or 90 mining so i buy an account that basically gives me that. Additionally you get used to some kind of things like for example 6 actions and so on and for me its really a pain if i have to play a char with 3 actions after having 6.

• Like 1

to some players the journey is the fun, to some the end result is the fun, it's no grand mystery in the end.

If we purchase anything in Wurm(can be said about any MMO actually), we basically buy someone else's time, which we don't have/don't want to spend on that particular action. And it doesn't matter what it is, bricks, random tools.. or .. someone elses toons.

1. Be competitively viable. This game has been running for 8 years on the same maps with the same characters, there is no way you will ever be able to compete with a character you made yourself. And I mean compete in the broad sense of the word ie build the same kind of projects, make things to trade of the same quality,...

2. Play the end game without having to spent years grinding. Some people want to be able to acces the full content of the game, like building big bridges, making good horses or fight other players without clicking the same button 10 hours every day for months.

3. Avoid skills you dislike. Maybe you have a great crafter but hate praying every 30 minutes, buy a priest.

If we purchase anything in Wurm(can be said about any MMO actually), we basically buy someone else's time, which we don't have/don't want to spend on that particular action. And it doesn't matter what it is, bricks, random tools.. or .. someone elses toons.

Good point, I love buying bricks, even though I can make them quickly myself. In some way, I kind of hate realising that all of a sudden... but sense it makes.

1. Be competitively viable. This game has been running for 8 years on the same maps with the same characters, there is no way you will ever be able to compete with a character you made yourself. And I mean compete in the broad sense of the word ie build the same kind of projects, make things to trade of the same quality,...

2. Play the end game without having to spent years grinding. Some people want to be able to acces the full content of the game, like building big bridges, making good horses or fight other players without clicking the same button 10 hours every day for months.

3. Avoid skills you dislike. Maybe you have a great crafter but hate praying every 30 minutes, buy a priest.

Fair.

1. I am not really competitive, and I started about 6 years after most, but I got it done, and it's still fun knowing I am working/collegeing my way to building a bridge with my own acquired skills. But I understand, for some, it is about being competitive.

2. I want access too, but as in 1. slowly getting there, not racing anyone 

3. Agreed fully, this is a good point.

I still have my fear theory of : in the future, no one will start new chars anymore, ie: it will be the same names, over and over, and accounts being bought and sold. No one will experience the growth.

So, tongue in cheek said, new account registration can be disabled. You basically choose your skills, and the system generates a quote, you pay for what you need and you buy that char. The man with the most money, makes the best Halberds.

If this strikes a nerve, try to understand the point I am making, it's not so far fetched, will eventually, END the game.

Once I spend my lump sum of RL cash, and buy a super char, I don't need to order those bricks anymore, and I won't be buying my custom order Spear from gumbo, and I won't be asking cybaru to enchant it for me for whatever they charge, I will just create a custom char.

No offense, again, just ... reality

Edited by Marlon

I believe in building my own char also, that way I own that toon with my own sweat. I wish that the game would deduct points from a sold alts skills each time it is sold so that the new owner would at least have to learn how to use those high skills and what it takes to get them. That would also help to refresh the upper tiers of alts so that others would have the chance to become the top in a class.

• Like 1

That is also one of the fears I have, it presents a pay-to-win type thing. I just don't want to criticise or judge however (as that is part of my OP promise), because I haven't done it, or needed it. Hopefully won't. But it's a reason for asking, hoping to feel better, and fear less :) - If the creator and his minions are clever however, and want to preserve the future for new and old, they would come up with something that incurs a little 'penalty'

I remember skill decay many years ago. Don't use a skill for 30 days, you slowly start losing skill in it.

Wasn't popular and got removed because of the complaints but it was good design to prevent this.

Edited by Theshrike

Accounts = Time

I try not to buy accounts, but there have been points where I really needed/wanted money, and i sold. After that, I will usually buy an account to get back into the game. It's very noticable going from an account that you worked very hard on for many many months, if not years and could do everything, to an account that could only do one or two things.

With the rise in popularity of SOTG on PvP servers, that's a big factor too. A lot of people are purchasing SOTG accounts simply to skip the wait time.

Why do people buy toaster ovens?

Because they can and its handy.

Mmm toasty.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 3

I can understand why people want to skip the long effort and just buy a new toon.  I myself have considered buying a priest recently, however I came to the conclusion that I enjoy being one of the handful of people who tough it out and just do with what I've got.  If I want a skill to be much higher than it is, I start working on it.  That's just me though, no one else necessarily has to play like that, but I enjoy it and it continues to refresh my goals in this game.

• Like 1

Cos some ppl have jobs, some ppl play 16hrs per day 7 days a week. Hard to compete in pvp without buying. and when ur paying a few cents per hour of grinding time its a no brainer.

Even not for pvp if you want to play the game to make things like nice armor, nice bridges nice dye or w/e, the grinding sucks unless you really have nothing better to do. 

And once you learn how to figure out the best grinding method for a few skills then whats the point?

I've only trained my own chars because i do some work from home on the other screen.

There is nothing wrong with buying and i believe its actually the smart thing to do - a few extra shifts at work (even a paper run or w/e for young ppl) and u save years worth of mindless clicking.

Yes theres specialization but you want to do a few different things so its still a ton of time you need to play to be able to do certain activities well.

Don't get me wrong I love this game and enjoy the zoning out / relaxing while choppin some trees etc. But there is skill inflation on epic for the pvps, gotta keep up.

Edited by Omar

This is how buying accounts works for me:
I have played for around 2 years now, I have learned a lot in these 2 years. My cousins recently started playing the game. So, I tried to teach them all that I learned in 2 years as fast as I can, in a few months they have learned a lot about the game. Now the problem is that I have a 2 year old account while they have 1-2 months old accounts. We like to pvp, and I know they have the mindset a player would require for pvp caus we have played a lot of games together and they are almost the same age as me. 
So I buy accounts for them, so that they can pvp with me and don't feel like they have to play the game for 2 years in order to grind their toons and get in the battle like me. Does that seem reasonable? Was this reply helpful? Please leme know :D

Edited by Hashirama

I've never bought an account myself, although I've sold a few.

There are a few reasons people buy accounts for:

1. Some people may have quit a few years ago and want to make a 'quicker' return.

2. It takes a lot of time in wurm to get anything done, especially to get started from scratch. Buying a well skilled toon, or even mid-skilled can speed it up.

3. Priests. They probably make up ~1/3 of the sold accounts. While it's surely a pay to win thing, its just a pain to skill these yourself. I got a 96 channeling priest, so I know what I am speaking about. xD

• Like 1

3. I would feel kind of funny knowing that the 60 woodcutter in front of me worked hard, knows every trick of every tree, and where they grow, and my 80 is, bought.

I don't think u learn many more tricks from spending 200 hrs grinding woodcutting vs 5 hrs.

• Like 1

Personally i never bought and will never buy an account, i enjoy the road more than the destination, but to each their own.

I'm also way too broke to afford paying hundreds of euros for a game account.

• Like 4

1. Its a sandbox

2. Its allowed

So I don't really concern myself with why other people do things, as long as they don't concern themselves with how I want to do things.

Problem solved :)

• Like 3

1. Its a sandbox

2. Its allowed

So I don't really concern myself with why other people do things, as long as they don't concern themselves with how I want to do things.

Problem solved :)

Actually, 12th post down reads like there is a problem since a solution of a "penalty" is suggested.  How can someone not be judgmental and propose a skill penalty for purchased avatars?

• Like 1

Theory: At some point, everyone will have a bought account I guess, no one will start from scratch, unless they want to be the only ones at low level, which will kill that part of the game off though. 

• Like 3