Sign in to follow this  
Tich

New Permissions (Part 5) - Vehicles

This is the fifth in the series and is to do with permissions for vehicles.

As all these are based on the same 'theme' this should be similar to gates etc.

Vehicle Permissions

Currently

Permissions are for

• Driver
  • Mount,
  • Access inventory hold
  • Manage these Settings

and only allow

• Friends
  • Village
  • Everyone.

Plus the option to change the owner of the ship (if you are owner)..

and an option to rename it as well. (for Ships only)/

Proposed

In the Manage menu (on body or inventory) will have two options under Manage ...

• Carts and Wagons (includes small carts and boat transporters)
  • Ships

Both of these will give a list of the vehicles (by type) that you can manage.

There is no "settlement may manage" option.

Permissions are player oriented but also can include groups "Citizen", "Allies: or "Everyone"

Both Lists will show

• Vehicle Name (same name as given when you 'rename' it)
  • The type of vehicle.(also shows rarity)
  • If you are Owner? (just because you can manage permissions does not mean you are the owner).
  • If Vehicle is locked ( you can not select a vehicle to manage permission unless it has a lock).

Available permissions on each vehicle (per person/group) are..

• "Manage Permissions" controls the ability to change permissions on that vehicle.
  • "Can Command" (not for small carts)
  • "Can be Passenger" (not for small carts or wagons or ship transporters)
  • "Access Hold"
  • "May Drag"

There is no "Settlement may manage" flag

Can rename or manage permissions for a vehicle by r-clicking if have the appropriate permission.

When converting to the new permissions system, any setting that specify Friends will copy all the trusted friends across with the same settings.

Management of Vehicles

You will be able to add

• players by name,
  • players from trusted friends list
  • players from friends list
  • players from your deed citizens (if you are a citizen)
  • a Citizens group (e.g. all citizens would have the permissions).
  • "Everyone"

You will also be able to change permissions for any of the above.

If you intend to move the vehicle to another server, please don't use "Citizens" as it may cause problems.

Note you will be able to lock small carts.

Even if the vehicle is not locked but you are the owner, you will be able to manage its permissions so you can change the owner, any other changes will not stick unless its locked. - note this is only by r-clicking on the vehicle.

Tich

Please do comment.

• Like 11

Love the add "player by name" ...can we have it for the others permissions (Inventory access especially) or i'l be only for Management of Vehicles?

Edited by Holeron
  • Like 1

Amazing! Really looking forward to this, thank you for the time you are putting into this Tich :)

What of mounts? Assuming saddlebags and pack-"horses" are ever an option.

• Like 2

Love the add "player by name" ...can we have it for the others permissions (Inventory access especially) or i'l be only for Management of Vehicles?

Yes I wonder this also, it would be great if each thing could be by name.

What about carts/wagons that have been abandoned for a long time - could there be some way to salvage them? At least the unlocked ones? Like if a person hasn't logged into the game for over (say) six months, and the cart is not on deed, can someone claim it?  (Ships too.)

Edited by LorraineJ

Will this allow non-owner players, with player being allowed to command, to travel into another server with the vessel than? If so maybe make a list of vessels server it resides on? This would free up a lot of difficulty with having to transfer ownership to alts to do merchant runs as well as eliminate the risk of mistyping the name and giving the vessel to a random player.

Thanks.

Can someone PLEASE explain the logic for all of these locks. Why not eliminate locks on vehicles and just use management? I am confused by all of these locks. 

PvP

You cannot remove a game mechanic, lockpicking, from the game just because it would be non-essential to some players. And why split code for PvP and PvE servers, when a 1ql lock on a PvE server is just as good as a 100ql fantastic lock on a PvE server. The lock should not be a big deal to be honest, but it is the mechanism that is in place to instate the permissions of the items. It makes sense to do it this way if you ask me.

• Like 2

GReat! Love the proposal - and to all about permissions by name, check the last post on the manage menu and you'll see all settings are per player..

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, add the same pop up window when a boat is made to large carts and wagons, to add a lock....

• Like 2

You will be able to add

• players by name,

players from trusted friends list

AWESOME! Something like this is what I was hoping for since I learned you can manage carts.

A good side to not having any locks anymore (at least on PVE) would be that you don't lose all your permissions without knowing it when your locks fall off on servercrossing. I'm also wondering what is up with keys disappearing (and never returning) on those servercrossings (just like other items at times, not fun, but keys are a special thing - especially if the original iron one goes poof). How (if it does) will this influence your permissions, if you the owner (or anyone else) don't have the belonging key anymore because the only one around poofed out of your inventory into Nirwana?

I do like the person-management on many things.

PvP

You cannot remove a game mechanic, lockpicking, from the game just because it would be non-essential to some players. And why split code for PvP and PvE servers, when a 1ql lock on a PvE server is just as good as a 100ql fantastic lock on a PvE server. The lock should not be a big deal to be honest, but it is the mechanism that is in place to instate the permissions of the items. It makes sense to do it this way if you ask me.

:lol:  Seriously? There's a ton of stuff in this game that is coded based on location. It's not rocket science. 

• Like 1

:lol:  Seriously? There's a ton of stuff in this game that is coded based on location. It's not rocket science. 

And it really isn't hard to make a lock. Just like you must use door locks to secure a building, gate locks to secure a gate. There's no reason to remove a feature, such as locks, in favor of an easier and more lazy game experience.

For reference:

Small Padlock

Boat Lock

• Like 1

And it really isn't hard to make a lock. Just like you must use door locks to secure a building, gate locks to secure a gate. There's no reason to remove a feature, such as locks, in favor of an easier and more lazy game experience.

You've gotta be shitting me.

The problem with locks for carts/boats isn't we're lazy or find it to be difficult, the problem is that it's unintuitive as balls and WE aren't the people who suffer from that - The new players are.

• Like 4

As mentioned above, I hope to also see animals added with this revision.

Please add locks to the creation process so the permissions are fool proof (always apply) for new players. (Same could be done to saddles) Or some other logical alternative.

• Like 4

As mentioned above, I hope to also see animals added with this revision.

Please add locks to the creation process so the permissions are fool proof (always apply) for new players. (Same could be done to saddles) Or some other logical alternative.

Agree with the creation process. Or make all vehicles default to have 1ql locks on creation, and a higher ql lock can be attached (like gates) for those on PvP servers.

• Like 4

Agree with the creation process. Or make all vehicles default to have 1ql locks on creation, and a higher ql lock can be attached (like gates) for those on PvP servers.

For reference:

Small Padlock

Boat Lock

Feature is your subjective opinion. Mine is that it is an unneeded pain in the rear. It is something that makes it possible for others to steal what you have. It is a PvP item. In my opinion it shouldn't even be needed on a PvE server. That's Player vs Environment. In other words, you shouldn't even have to worry about another player taking something that isn't theirs. And here's something that isn't an opinion, It isn't hard to code so that a lock isn't even needed. It's not like coding bridges or multi story buildings.

Being able to lock small carts in the future, nice deal for new players especially. At least then they will have the option to make these more easily created small carts and lock them up to protect their meager items. Only drawback I guess is that we may have a lot more abandoned useless locked small carts littering the landscapes.

=Ayes=

I love the small cart change, I have lowbie alts who use small carts all the time and be nice if your stuff was secure in it, rather than have to worry about leaving it out in the open.

As for creating locks, it is very easy to make a large padlock on a brand new alt, so why would anyone think we need to remove this feature?

It is part of the game 'atmosphere' and there is sufficient information letting a new player know they need a lock.

• Like 1

Was there going to be changes to the friends/trusted friends list so you can have friends on your list that do not see what server you are on?

it is very easy to make a large padlock on a brand new alt

• Like 3

I put a highlight on the keyword here. Alt. Brand new alt. An alt isn't a new player, an alt is an alternative character of someone who's already playing the game and if you're already playing the game you know that you'll need a lock for your carts - New players do not know that.

Well like any game you need to learn how to play it, locks is a very small part of the game. I only mentioned its not hard to make on my alt, even with brand new low skills,so new players can do it as well. If they can't take the time to ask how, or look at a wiki then perhaps wurm isn't for them.

Why dumb the game down so much.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Some people strive to make games enjoyable, I think that would be a good idea for the Wurm developers seeing as many people quit the first time all their crap is "stolen" from their cart. It's already a niche game, it doesn't have to scare away people who would've potentially enjoyed it had they been given a fair chance. Call it "dumb the game down" if you want, I prefer to call it making the game user friendly and a bit more intuitive.

• Like 3