Sign in to follow this  
Tich

New Permissions (Part 4) - The Manage Permissions Screen

Part 4 of the permissions system, this week I've tried to explain how the main permissions management screen work...

Here is a screenshot of the Manage  Permission screen with a brief description of what each area is used for.

PermissionManagementScreen.jpg?dl=1

1. "Name";
    • The objects name, will be an input box to enable it being changed if the owner is managing permissions.
    • It accepts the normal name characters.

2. "Change Owner"
    • If owner managing permissions, then will allow changing of the owner (if possible) else will be blank.
    • New Owner names are checked on server when "Apply Changes" is clicked to ensure they are a valid player.
    • if it fails then an appropriate error is displayed in events and on screen (see no 4).

3. "Warnings"
    • Any warnings, normally to do with the object being locked.

4. "Add Named Player"
    • Here is when you add a player by name,
    • Once they have been checked on the server (when you press add) they will appear in "Manually Added" (no 8).
    • If they fail, there will be an error message in events and also shown for a short time where it says "player to list".

5. "Settlement may manage"
    • If its set, then the mayor can clear it,
    • if its clear then the owner can set it
    • Otherwise its just a read only field.
    • It is not shown for all objects.
    • If this is set and the settlement disbands then it will get auto-cleared and the ownership will revert to the owner.

6. "Trusted Friends" l
    • list will only be visible if you have any trusted friends that have not been "allowed" (e.g. been given any permissions).
    • There could also be a "Friends" list below this, but its not shown in this example.

7. "Citizens"
    • Shows all the citizens that are in the same village as you are in (unless they have been "allowed")

8. "Manually Added"
    • This area shows any 'groups' that are not "allowed" yet
    • If you Add someone at 4, they will appear here, until you add permissions to them, Note if you close this window and reopen, you will loose anyone you added to this area.

9. "Allowed"
    • Here is the list of people and groups that have been given permissions on the object.
    • And shows what permissions they have, if you clear all the permissions for a person (or group) they will move from this group.

A, B, C if you set permissions here it will auto add permissions to all people (and groups)  in that category.

When you press [Apply Changes] anyone you have added permissions to (or removed permissions from) will be updated on the object, the display will stay (e.g. it wont close).

Note the [Apply Changes] is only available if the screen detects there is a change.

There maybe a [Back] button just to he left of the [Close] button if you came from a different window.

Tich

• Like 12

Only one point - where the scroll bar is located, it looks as if the column heading will disappear as the list is scrolled. It would be nice it they remained visible.

• Like 9

I know when I handle Roles for deeds, it becomes very hard to follow the lines across the screen. It would be great if there was some way to indicate a row going across - maybe actual lines between the boxes, or maybe one row is bold and the next one is not - anything that would help keep the eye on the straight line.

Also, it would be nice if the perms that could be checked off got progressively "more permissive" - for example, "can fish" shouldn't be right next to "can destroy every damn thing." That way you would make less horrible errors, and there would be a general "depth" in the list that you usually check off for the lesser-known persons. Only close friends get checkmarks way down in the list.

• Like 6

Only one point - where the scroll bar is located, it looks as if the column heading will disappear as the list is scrolled. It would be nice it they remained visible.

• Like 3

Would it be possible to add a settlement name manually as well as a player? Just for flexibility. 

Also will there be a way for someone to see what their permissions are? 

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 2

Would it be possible to add a settlement name manually as well as a player? Just for flexibility. 

Also will there be a way for someone to see what their permissions are? 

1. Not in the plan atm.

2. Globally (as in all objects etc) or just for the object?

'Every name will be checked on server' before being accepted. That would be the login-server (so gamewide check, not just the server where the managing is being done)?

• Like 1

1. Not in the plan atm.

2. Globally (as in all objects etc) or just for the object?

2: Just the object. Something like right-click on a structure part and see "Show permissions" or "Manage" and have it show a read-only version of the Manage screen with only the inquiring player's permissions shown and how they got them?

Edited by Ratheden

I'm loving this new permissions system you are implementing, i'm hopeful that one of your next parts will cover kingdom permissions.  At the very least the ability to view a list of your members of your kingdom, whether it be intractable or not. 

please add an X out ability on destroying writs, without it one cannot get rid of them after a writ is destroyed and it is still up.

Option to lock/unlock all doors ** not sure about this one mainly due to PvP reasons.

Well, now it's the same, for buildings, one can set lock/unlock from the writ, remotely (on the same server). So the change for buildings is only that more players than the writ holder can do that.

"Warnings"

• Any warnings, normally to do with the object being locked.

The screenshot is for a building. Locking a building isn't necessary for the majority of purposes and permissions-related things. Is that supposed to change? If not, why warn on locking buildings, or do I misunderstand what kind of warnings are normally displayed?

"Manually Added"

• This area shows any 'groups' that are not "allowed" yet
  • If you Add someone at 4, they will appear here, until you add permissions to them, Note if you close this window and reopen, you will loose anyone you added to this area.

Ah, a temporary thing. I didn't understand from reading the window what 'manually added' means. How about renaming this area Pending?

New Owner names are checked on server when "Apply Changes" is clicked to ensure they are a valid player.

On server means on the server you currently are, on the server where the building/object is, or on ALL servers? I hope all servers... can't think of a disadvantage if not, and I can think of inconveniences if yes. :)

A, B, C if you set permissions here it will auto add permissions to all people (and groups)  in that category.

If the permissions screen looks and behaves this way... when you add permissions for group it adds all people (and subgroups) under, then it kinda follows that when adding another player to a group, that player's permissions won't be updated automatically? And, when removing a player from a group, that player's permissions stay set until you manually remove them?

(I will read the replies after this first parsing of the OP, maybe this was answered, sorry in that case)

This design helps to add many-players at once. But I'm not sure that is the most useful. It seems useful to have strict groups with permissions, and apart from them individual players permissions. That is to say, 'alliance' and 'friends' and 'trusted friends' and 'village' can be rigid settings, that apply to all in the group when set, and change automatically for players when they are added or removed from the group they inherited permissions from. Apart from that, I could add an individual player Tich, regardless if Tich is already in a group or not, set permissions for Tich, then when I remove Tich from the groups, the permissions I set manually only for the Tich remain in action.

To note, acting automatically on the rigid groups should exclude or at least warn the player doing it ('removing manage permissions for this group will remove it from yourself, silly. Are you sure you want that?')

"Allowed"

• Here is the list of people and groups that have been given permissions on the object.
  • And shows what permissions they have, if you clear all the permissions for a person (or group) they will move from this group.

A screenie with a group in Allowed would be useful. If you clear perms from a group, it removes perms for all people? What if you added a player along with the group, but then tweaked his/her perms?

"Settlement may manage"

• If its set, then the mayor can clear it,
  • if its clear then the owner can set it
  • Otherwise its just a read only field.
  • It is not shown for all objects.
  • If this is set and the settlement disbands then it will get auto-cleared and the ownership will revert to the owner.

If I understand correctly, settlement may manage for buildings, as well as gates (and perhaps minedoors?) is a setting that allows ALL villagers to manage the object. Does it, or does it further depend on some deed setting 'this role may manage where it says settlement may manage'?

A different question. The situation the window displays is: Pifa is trusted friend, the building is Pifa's Villa, Tich is 'allowed' to manage perms. This screenshot is from Tich's perspective. From this display, I understand Tich is able to set her friends, not Pifa's friends, for the building. That... makes sense, but is a change of behavior from current system (or system as I last know it, not sure it changed itself meanwhile). Was it intended? Is it the same for carts and boats?

still get "bad karma" message by trying lead horse on deed. Unable to lead 2x horse on ship.

personally, i would rather see something like this for carts and boats first. It would be really nice if I could let a friend borrow my boat to cross servers or have a fellow trusted traveler take over the till so i can go to bed or w/e RL is requiring from me atm

Edit:

Ok so i opened my mouth and stuck my foot in. I went back and read more carefully and see that this is not going to be limited to buildings. 

But line 5 and the header to line 7 seems a little redundant to me, since there is a manage column for line 7. Maybe i am missing something?

Nice work btw :)

Edit2:

I'm not getting what the definitions of "add" and "allowed" are in this specific situation: Could somebody tell me the difference, please?

Edited by Bludragon

personally, i would rather see something like this for carts and boats first. It would be really nice if I could let a friend borrow my boat to cross servers or have a fellow trusted traveler take over the till so i can go to bed or w/e RL is requiring from me atm

+1

But line 5 and the header to line 7 seems a little redundant to me, since there is a manage column for line 7. Maybe i am missing something?

Umm :D So... this seems a very good question. If it helps... 'Citizens of X may manage' is supposed to mean that the mayor can, and only those roles from the village which also have 'managed allowed objects' settlement permission. But it doesn't work with only these two, it works when you add the player, with a tickbox in the manage column. That doesn't help... does it? I'm really not sure how it's supposed to work. I think you're correct and it's redundant, and I also think I need coffee.

I'm not getting what the definitions of "add" and "allowed" are in this specific situation: Could somebody tell me the difference, please?

"Add" is for a text box where you add the name of a random player. Once you add the name RandomPlayer, it is displayed in "Manually Added", and thus it has all the columns available for you to check boxes for RandomPlayer's perms. Once you do, and click 'apply changes', the player is 'moved' to Allowed list. Allowed list is for players or groups which have permissions (whichever) to the building.

Can we please have a separate permission for harvesting?  I would love to be able to let non-citizens farm on my deed, but I don't want people to be able to harvest my crops when they turn ripe.

Not so much just for part 4, but for several managementscreens (with gates being a big one of those): would it be possible for a few of these, to be able to make a kind of 'template-form', which you fill in, and then can copy onto any of similar forms (so make a gate-template, then walk by your gates and choose to copy template onto that gate, or not, or copy then make just a few changes for a particular gate, for instance) - same for buildings-form too? This would make doing a complete village/deed a whole lot less time-consuming, if it would be possible at all.

Edited by Kianga