Sign in to follow this  
Brynden

updated guard towers pictures needed

hey so i think its time to update this picture with the new models

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/File:Guard_tower.png

if someone can provide clean pictures of the each of the new towers i can edit them together

couldnt update it directly with a jpg file so so this is the new one in use on the guard tower page

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/File:Guard_tower.jpg

Edited by Brynden

Just remember when dealing with images for the Wurmpedia:

Less is more: Start with a high resolution image and scale it down.

Jpeg over PNG

Be mindful of file size

Keep in mind that an updated image will not show right away. You must wait for cache refreshes, which can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

Keep the image name meaningful and do not create a new image file name just to work around cache refreshes.

Images for item templates should be around 200x200, or scale down to that (i.e. 400x400 or 600x600 is okay, as it will resize properly).

Lastly, I'm not sure I would edit them together. Perhaps update the Guard_tower file with the stock Freedom Isles model, and then create new files for MR, JK, and BL. We can then use a Gallery on the Guard Tower page to show each on their own. If you do refresh the Freedom one too, upload a Jpeg and edit the PNG version to add {{delete|Old PNG file}} or something of that nature.

what the hell are you talking about. its done now.the one i uploaded was jpg instead of png like the one old was and its like 1/3 the size and still looks better. apparently since the old one was png that causes the problem of not having the old picture show up in the file history.

I think it looks pretty good.The editing for done well and it saves space by uploading one file and not 3 more individual ones. Good job Brynden

what the hell are you talking about. its done now.the one i uploaded was jpg instead of png like the one old was and its like 1/3 the size and still looks better. apparently since the old one was png that causes the problem of not having the old picture show up in the file history.

I was relaying information from the Wurmpedia Manager. Our preference is JPEGs, and I do believe it's due to the file size. My post were recommendations and guidelines, so please consider them in the future.

How comes?

I answered this above, but the general idea is that PNGs are a bit bulkier than a well compressed JPEG.

I think it looks pretty good.The editing for done well and it saves space by uploading one file and not 3 more individual ones. Good job Brynden

I'll have to look again, but I thought I saw the outdated image earlier when I made my post. The reason I suggested separate files is for clarity and to distinguish between the types. Keep in mind that new players use the information in the wiki, and by keeping them separate and named with a caption can help a new player identify what they are and learn something new in the game.

I answered this above, but the general idea is that PNGs are a bit bulkier than a well compressed JPEG.

Everyone just please remember that if the image has type on it, it's gonna look better on a PNG.

I see where I went wrong! I didn't see that it was already done. I had opened the post much earlier in the day and didn't see the edit when I typed my reply.

My apologies for the confusion.

Still, those are the guidelines as I know them. I've asked Marni to clarify when he gets back from vacation. 

about the freedom guard image also in that same page,that one its a png too and if i just open it in photoshop and saved it as jpg the goes to like 1/4,the reason i didnt change that one too its pretty much that i have no idea how to mark a file as old,would i need to make a new page wit hthe file name and a link or something? maybe you can explain that.

and well about having 1 image or having 1 for each tower,

oh well i just saw how they removed my file uploading permissions so nevermind that.

Edited by Brynden

oh well i just saw how they removed my file uploading permissions so nevermind that.

Edited by Keenan

thats sounds pretty subjective "standards" but anyway i have no interesting in becoming a staff editor so doesnt matter.

thats sounds pretty subjective "standards" but anyway i have no interesting in becoming a staff editor so doesnt matter.

Currently, Brynden, nothing official has been done as of now in terms of editor accounts. Anyone that has access has retained it from the past way that the wiki was run. As Keenan said above any restrictions that are placed on non wurmpedia editor accounts are due to the restructuring of the wurmpedia as discussed in the July news release by the PR team and are not done to limit one certain person or to anger or offend certain people. 

As far as the towers go we appreciate the help. The wurmpedia team has been piled on with a lot of work to be done and we appreciate all the help that the community has given us. 

And as far as you not wanting to be a wurm staff member that's your prerogative but we do appreciate the help :)