Sign in to follow this  
Tich

New Permissions (Part 3) - Buildings

This is the third in the series and is to do with permissions for buildings.

You may notice a lot of similarities with the management of gates and minedoors.

Building Permissions

Currently

You get a list of people who are allowed to enter, where you can remove then, and a list of people who are on your friends list, which you can then add.

Also have options to

• Unlock all doors
  • Allow Citizens to enter
  • Allow Allies to enter
  • Allow Kingdom to enter.

Plus the option to rename the building, and finally the option to destroy the building.

Proposed

In the Manage menu (on body or inventory) will have a Manage - Buildings option. This will show a list containing...

• All the Buildings that you can manage, wether it be due to you holding the writ or just having the "May Manage" permission on the building.

The list will allow remote naming and managing permissions (including changing the 'settlement may manage' flag). Permissions are player oriented but also include groups or citizens, allies and kingdom..(see Management of Buildings below)

List will show/allow:

• Building Name
  • If you are Owner? (just because you can manage permissions does not mean you are the owner).
  • If Doors have locks? (just because all doors have locks does not mean its 'safe' (due to arches).
  • is Building on a deed?
  • is it controlled by a deed? (e.g. is "manage by settlement" flag set).
  • Option to lock/unlock all doors ** not sure about this one mainly due to PvP reasons.
  • Option to demolish the building (with a double check).

Available permissions on each building (per person/group) are..

• "Manage Permissions" controls the ability to change permissions on that building.
  • "May Enter" like the current guest list
  • "Modify Building" Allows building of walls/floors/roofs/fences and colouring.
  • "Pickup Items"
  • "Pickup Planted"
  • "Place Merchants"
  • "May Load"
  • "Use Beds" for free.

The "Settlement may manage" flag is the same as on gates.

Can rename or manage permissions for a building by r-clicking if have the appropriate permission.

When converting to the new permissions system, the "Settlement may Manage" flag will not be set.

Management of Building

You will be able to add

• a player by name,
  • a player from trusted friends list
  • a player from friends list
  • a player from deed citizens (if you are a citizen)
  • a Citizens group (e.g. all citizens would have the permissions).
  • a Allies group (all allies would have the permissions)
  • a Same Kingdom group (all members of kingdom would have same permissions). 

You will also be able to change permissions for any of the above.

Building permissions override deed permissions. Although the "Destroy any building" deed role permission allows you to destroy any building on deed.

Tich

Please do comment.

Edited by Tich
Updated available permissions
  • Like 8

very much like the available permissions and who can be added :)

I was thinking the other day is there a way to allow for picking up items but not loading in buildings?

Say i want to set up a building for new players i can plant the bsb and fsb but i would like to be able to let people pick up items but stop them from loading the forge, lg barrel, beds. crates..etc  (i would suggest lg anvils be allowed to be planted too)

Edit: Kind of new to all of this i have always not had to worry about this stuff since i play solo most of the time.

Edited by Kegan

currently loading is controlled by deed; or was last I tried...not sure if that's changing

Make sure turning of walls is incorporated into "Modify Building"

and

Make sure turning of objects is incorporated into "Pickup Items"

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

currently loading is controlled by deed; or was last I tried...not sure if that's changing

This was for an off deed setting 

Edit: I guess it could also be useful on deed as well for like shipping things you can let them load the things inside one building but not the rest of the deed since the house overrides the deed settings. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

I know this might not be related to the permission settings...but is there any plans to make it so we can lock specific doors in a house and not others?

• Like 7

• a Same Kingdom group (all members of kingdom would have same permissions). 

I shed a tear of joy :D

Hi,

whatever you do, plz, by the love of Fo, make ONE consistent way to manage it.

Without writs, keys and all this madness. We're in 2015!

Have fun!

Looking great so far Tich. I especially love that things are being moved to the body, as carrying around 20 writs and a deed in my backpack cuts down on what I can carry. 

I know this might not be related to the permission settings...but is there any plans to make it so we can lock specific doors in a house and not others?

You could just not put locks on those specific doors. Or did you mean locking/unlocking individual already locked doors instead of locking/unlocking them all together?

Let me just announce right now that the Hunting Lodge at Haven on the Grand Steppe in Inde will have its beds changed to free status once this update is implemented!

Good info and direction Tich.

I hope we will be able to decide what rooms who may enter also, like people can access the workshop but not the storage room inside the workshop.

(What MrGarnacle asked)

I was thinking the other day is there a way to allow for picking up items but not loading in buildings?

Say i want to set up a building for new players i can plant the bsb and fsb but i would like to be able to let people pick up items but stop them from loading the forge, lg barrel, beds. crates..etc  (i would suggest lg anvils be allowed to be planted too)

Edit: Kind of new to all of this i have always not had to worry about this stuff since i play solo most of the time.

Yes was considering adding a 'load' permission earlier. So it may well be added.

I hope to remove deed permissions for buildings excluding the "destroy any" one.

Make sure turning of walls is incorporated into "Modify Building"

and

Make sure turning of objects is incorporated into "Pickup Items"

Yes to first one, but why let anyone with pickup the ability to turn objects.. could be tired to "manage permissions"

I plan on having a 'manage doors' option for buildings, where it will give you a list of all doors.. will post it when I start doing the code.

Hi,

whatever you do, plz, by the love of Fo, make ONE consistent way to manage it.

Without writs, keys and all this madness. We're in 2015!

Have fun!

That's the plan, but so far, I've not removed the wits or keys, as i'll have to make sure its ok with Rolfs vision.

• Like 1

regards to, "Pickup Items" permission:

1. Does this include loading?

2. Does this include the ability to deposit things in bsb?

3. Does this include push, pull, turn?

Yes to first one, but why let anyone with pickup the ability to turn objects.. could be tired to "manage permissions"

Well the person can already pick up the object and completely take it away... So I figured that since a person can already pick up and drop down the object as the new owner, then simply having the ability to turn them would be suitable.

Why would that permission be tied to something else? I don't see any situation where a person who can't pick up items should have a need to turn/move excisting unowned objects. (by objects i mean lamps, signs, forges, etc)

Edited by Zekezor

I hope to remove deed permissions for buildings excluding the "destroy any" one.

Could you elaborate on this more? For example, say a deed has a warehouse where villagers store bulk materials. None of the bins and containers have locks. The Mayor has blocked locking things with deed permission. In this example since things are inside a house does the deed's locking permission get overridden?

Is there any way to allow permission for separate doors inside a building? 

Is there any way to allow permission for separate doors inside a building? 

I plan on having a 'manage doors' option for buildings, where it will give you a list of all doors.. will post it when I start doing the code.

• Like 1

In the Manage menu (on body or inventory) will have a Manage - Buildings option. This will show a list containing...

• All the Buildings that you can manage, wether it be due to you holding the writ or just having the "May Manage" permission on the building.

The list will allow remote naming and managing permissions 

This way to manage writs will be very helpful to those of us who carry around a lot of them. No more having to sort through 30-60 to find the one wanted to make changes on.

As for doing away with writs completely, how would buildings be able to transferred to another character/player then? I guess if this would be easy to do as well then the need for writs could be eliminated for this easier to manage system. Sounds pretty nice indeed.

=Ayes=

Looking fantastic as always Tich. You're work is always quite impressive.

Still disagree on the difference in harvesting maple sap and milk, but we can agree to disagree. :P

I don't know if its been mentioned here or elsewhere (my Wurm time is limited as of late), but I would love to see the individual writs go away entirely (into the management system). With the option to "create writ" for placing the item for sale on a merchant or trading, all for transferring ownership. (Would probably need to include the item ID. For example: so the player can compare the ship ID to the writ ID if a ship writ is placed on a merchant for sale.)

Once the writ is in possession, we could right click the writ and "take ownership" therefore adding the item, house, boat, animal, to our list of owned writs.

It may just be me, but I think it would be pretty amazing to be able to sell a ship loaded of bulk materials, or animals, etc all through a personal merchant.

I know your hands are probably full with your current endeavor, but thought I would mention it in case you thought it might be something you could plan for.

As always, thanks for all you do!

/worship

• Like 1

All should bow before Tich.

Edited by Slickshot

Changed the available permission

• "Pickup Planted"     -- Added
  • "May Load"              -- Added
  • "Use Beds" for free. -- Removed as will do it per bed.

Changed the available permission

• "Pickup Planted"     -- Added

"May Load"              -- Added

"Use Beds" for free. -- Removed as will do it per bed.

With the beds thing you mean having permissions for each bed that would allow everyone (not just villagers) to sleep in a bed for free if the owner sets it to be so?