Sign in to follow this  
Cartrip

Sound bug since forever

I don't know if this has ever been reported, it would kinda surprise me if it hasn't, but a quick search didn't turn it up.

If you change the default audio device in Windows while the client is running, the client keeps outputting to the former device, it will not switch to the new default device. E.g., using my headphones, switch the default device over to speakers and get no Wurm sounds from the speakers, it's still outputting to the headphones.

• Like 1

that is a windows bug. i used to use headphones for ts and speakers for music

OK, I guess some programs do pick up on the change, like VLC. But I've have other games e.g. Age of Wonders III that won't switch also. *Shrug* I can live with it.

I believe the issue is with how OpenAL and Windows interacts. I've found that games that use DirectX play more nicely when you switch audio devices, where as OpenAL applications do not. That likely has to do with OpenAL being more cross-platform than DirectX, thus it doesn't use Windows-specific hardware abstraction. The same is likely true for other applications that either directly interface with the audio device or use some other audio library. The magic in the ability to switch your audio input and output at will is something called the Hardware Abstraction Layer, and that's OS-specific. I could be totally wrong, but it makes sense to my sleep-deprived 5am brain.

So I never had issues in the past, but the last few months this is a major issue.  I play on speakers, then plug in headphones and Wurm (only wurm) keeps playing in the speakers.  All my other games and sound sources will auto switch to headphones.  I just checked in Freedom chat and others agree that this is an issue.

Does this go beyond the scope of what wurm devs are equipped to deal with and just get chalked up to "welcome to Wurm" or is there a possible fix?  Would getting an external sound card (for laptop) make any difference?  Is it a difference that using the old client would handle differently?  Any options or advice would really help lower my frustration.  I run a lot of clients and it takes a little time to get them all arranged, with all their windows, so a reload of clients every time I want to swap between phones and speakers is a bit frustrating.

I noted this problem since I switched to my new headphones, HyperX Cloud Alpha S. Everything but Wurm goes into the headset. But the el-cheapo ones from Amazon would play Wurm just fine in the headphones. I haven't tested this yet, but something I noted with my Spotify is that if I take the new headphones off, the music will then not go through the speakers until I reboot Spotify. I wonder if you try rebooting Wurm after you plug the headset in if it would then work. I'm always already IN Wurm when I put my headset on. Will have to test this later. 

ADDENDUM: I logged an alt in after my headset was plugged in, with my main having logged in before I plugged the headset in. Main's sound does NOT come through headset, but alt's sound DOES. Seems like rebooting after plugging the headphones in, or plugging the headphones in, should make the sound come through the headset. 

Edited by Bakhita