Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Priest Linking

!!DISCLAIMER!!

July 2015 was the original post date of this, and happened to be 5 months before I joined the dev team.

This is a suggestion from a player perspective. Not a developer perspective.

Yes, there is a difference. Disregard the tag on the left!

!!END DISCLAIMER!!

Current System: Only priests of the same faith can link.

Problem: With the new gods, it's harder to find those of the same faith to link with at times. Your results may vary, but this is the perspective from which I write this post.

Solution: Allow any priest to link with any other priest, however only allow favor to be used if both priests have the same spell.

Examples:

• Nahjo and Vynora link for Mindstealer.
  • Vynora and Nahjo link for Rite of Spring
  • Fo and Nahjo link for Life Transfer
  • Tosiek and Nahjo link for Mindstealer
  • Nahjo and Vynora link for casting several Wind of Ages

Admitted Issues:

• Blacklighter spells at a disadvantage.
  • The 'roleplay' of the deities may not mesh well. For example, Vynora may have a problem with her priests linking to a blacklight-aligned follower.
  • Casting miracles could be confusing. (We still haven't confirmed Nathan and Tosiek's miracles)
  • May cause priests to be unbalanced. I honestly haven't weighed out what this might do in PvP.

If you -1, please explain why. I'm a firm believer that if you're willing to state your disapproval, you should have the common courtesy to also provide a reason and contribute to the common discussion. Further, this post is not to serve as an argument about the gods or the religion system as a whole. Please keep your replies pertaining to the specific idea of linking many faiths for a single commonly shared spell.

• Like 5

I'd love to even see this go one step further and allow linking everything with everything, and different combinations would maybe even have new spells \o/

Like mag+lib would have something death and mining themed and stuff.

tbh, i'd -1 this one

some casts nowadays are already 'too easy' or 'too wide spread', and this would only add a mass of items, having a negative influence on the market...

God no, priests already have it so easy.

God no, priests already have it so easy.

Evidently you never tried to grind channeling without spending a fortune or survive with only a priest main on PvE.

+1 to this suggestion.

As I said in the other thread from 10 days ago...

This would be bad for the economy because it's a prime example of something that makes a person not have to depend on others.  If a Nahjo and a Fo priest can link together to cast LT, you might as well allow all priests to improve tools and weapons, because it's the exact same premise.

This will reduce the number of premium characters thus hurting the Wurm Economy.

It would also allow a Nahjo "battery" to sacrifice corn so a Vyn priest can cast WoA/CoC using their favor.   Even if the change is implemented in such a way that they can only link for common spells as the OP suggests, I still think it's a bad idea because it allows a lazy priest who didn't put forth the effort of re-priesting reap 100% of the rewards of the new religions.

• Like 1

tbh, i'd -1 this one

some casts nowadays are already 'too easy' or 'too wide spread', and this would only add a mass of items, having a negative influence on the market...

Market is overflood with any cast. PPL has useless alt only for double casts. Also not help "Rolf economy", because not need to pay for it, only sometimes and owner do many double casts and turn off alt to non-prem. 

Edited by ftoz

tbh, i'd -1 this one

Why is availability bad for the economy? Because if I want X bad enough, I will pay 10 times what it's really worth for it?

It would also allow a Nahjo "battery" to sacrifice corn so a Vyn priest can cast WoA/CoC using their favor.   Even if the change is implemented in such a way that they can only link for common spells as the OP suggests, I still think it's a bad idea because it allows a lazy priest who didn't put forth the effort of re-priesting reap 100% of the rewards of the new religions.

An entire other thing that needs redone. Veggies of basically fixed QL vs Cordage of random QL. Nahjo has to plant it and pick it. You're only half way there when you are a Vyn. Nahjo doesn't have to combine a pile of what they grow into enough to make a single item. So you aren't even half way there.

Edited by Audrel

+1 Its harder to find priest these casts what needs linking. So why not give possibility to link 2 different priest type if they have same casts?

Old suggestion or not - yes please change linking to spell not faith. Would help a lot!

+1 I plus one this because it's a probably a wet dream of many.. but I can't say that I fully understand the weight of this implementation, as I've never been on that market.
I'd pull BIG enchanting shop owners to throw their input on this one.. as they are going to be tanking the damage from such change. (maybe even let them vote anonymously with hidden results.. that only devs could see later to evaluate before implementing it)

--edit

On 7/29/2015 at 7:58 PM, Trake said:

Heresy.

yup:lol:

On 7/28/2015 at 9:14 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Evidently you never tried to grind channeling without spending a fortune or survive with only a priest main on PvE.

+1 to this suggestion.

Evidently.. you have a tiny farm.

On 7/29/2015 at 2:07 AM, Wargasm said:

As I said in the other thread from 10 days ago...

This would be bad for the economy because it's a prime example of something that makes a person not have to depend on others.  If a Nahjo and a Fo priest can link together to cast LT, you might as well allow all priests to improve tools and weapons, because it's the exact same premise.

This will reduce the number of premium characters thus hurting the Wurm Economy.

Ez favor batteries should make things must more easy to get and allow the market to be flooded(not saying that it's going to happen, but opens the big gates for that)

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

i suppose i have to vote now that i have a bless tool. 
+1

• Like 1

+1 could care less about the economy anymore

+1 so that i wouldn't have to explain my disapproval.

jk, the idea is good. I would be even for linking different faith priests without spell-specific restrictions, but this is something.

+1 from me, it's getting complicated with links and new gods, maybe just add some casting bonus or something if priests are of same faith or penalty to 2 priests of different faith to balance it if people think its overpowered this way. :) Or redo the whole religion system :D

Edited by kochinac

I'll +1 the revival of this thread, especially since we added even more priests and have fewer players to buddy up with.  I'd personally like to see linking for any spell, not just common spells.  Are the gods so fickle that they won't share favor with another god, just because the spell differs?  Mana is mana, right?

• Like 1

Yea.. but you know..YinYangS.jpg

With some difficulty or no skillgain to not abuse that.. not much reason to not allow this, other than... idk what's op when mixing any 2 priests, if they cant do it to grind channeling with ease. 

+1

8 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Mana is mana, right?