Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

General Balance Discussion

Easiest solution is still just reducing SOTG to 30%.  

A priest can cast CoC on a tool and with use, that enchant will decay. A priest can cast CoC on a weapon, but that enchant will stay forever.  Make it one way or the other.

There was a 10+ page discussion on this topic not long ago. Unfortunately it was locked by a forum mod because a couple of trolls spammed and derailed it. That brings me to my next balancing act. Forum mods should not lock threads if the OP isn't breaking any forum rules. Instead the offenders posting in the thread should have their posts removed and be punished.

I would also like to reinforce the thought, that there should have already be staff members cataloging the ideas in the Suggestions section of this forum. Creating this thread pretty much proves that area of the forum wasn't being utilized to its maximum potential, if at all.

• Like 1

the dirt spell should be nerfed. at least have it lower 1 tile instead of a 5x5 area, I've seen the grief potential first hand twice now

it's not a 5x5. its a + formation involving 5 height points.

Something I've always considered Wogic is the fact that I have to tame a horse to remove it's equipment so I can repair it and then put it back on, and then go find something else to tame to get rid of the tame on the horse.  I can ride the untamed horse and groom it, but not repair it's equipment.

edit: and no I don't want to have to tame to ride.  I don't even like taming so only do it when I'm absolutely required to. lol.  Besides, being tame is hazardous to my horse's health. 

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

Wow since you have a lot to read ill get to the point of what I personally would like see changed or added:

1.  Surface mining should be easier to higher level mining skill maybe even make it so that you can level the surface rock for people over a certain mining level.  Everyone is able to level inside the mine so what is the difference between rocks in the mine and rocks on the surface?  People with higher mining should be more skilled at that kind of thing and should easily be able to mine the surface of the ground either faster rate or by leveling the ground  this will also fix not being able to level ground tiles made of rock that is right next to clay.

2.  People stated above this but everything should be mailable if you can pick it up even unfinished items.

3.  Dirt should be dropped to the ground when leveling and digging just like the rock shards drop to the ground.

4.  Every craft-able item should be in the crafting window that includes Healing covers.

I appreciate the devs for wanting to hear what bothers us enough on the game to want to change it.   Makes me feel you are connecting with us on a personal level and so Thank you :D

• Like 1

My own little list of "wogics":

1.  Corpses cannot be placed into coffins.

2.  Paving gives soul strength, but the only characters that use SS are mag and libila priests.... who can't pave.

3.  An iron frying pan fully decays in a couple of months, but the corbita sitting in front of my deed has taken 3 damage over the last 6 months.

4.  300 logs fit in a crate, but only 100+ fit in a BSB, and neither one can hold a wooden beam.

5.  WoA/CoC water works for tailoring and ropemaking, but not smithing.

• Like 3

Ran into this "wogic" tonight. 94 wood shingles (23.50 weight) fit in a small cart? Why 94 when, I believe, 100 planks fit?

• Like 1

Just some things that comes to mind. In no special order. 

* Tamed, ridden horses should not be attacked by mobs. Make them not able to fight and non attackable while ridden or hitched. Players should still be able to target and attack them.

* Many corpses are too heavy. You should also be able to fit more than just a few in a large cart. 

* Lumps in inventory cool off when the forge they were heated by goes out, unless you log out in which case they stay hot until next time you log in. They should not be affected by the forge once you have them picked up.

* Lamps decay very fast on merchants. They should not decay while on sale. 

* Many strange things occur with putting things into containers in terms of what fits and not. Too many to list them individually as people try to do in this thread.

* Traders have stopped giving any income (in many areas). Please let us get some refund for them. Maybe we could convert them to merchants or be able to pick them up and move them? 

* When building houses you can sometimes add a floor tile or wall but you can't delete it right after because it would make the construction unstable. 

* Mob distribution on Xanadu is bugged.

* Boats have cannon graphics, but we can't make cannons or gun powder. 

* Training up a priest has been very unrewarding. I feel like my priest is worse now than it was when I started out. Probably because of stealth nerfs during the last few years. It's not fun to see a negative development of casting results the more skill you get. On top of this it is impossible to know which skills really affects casting, 

* Many rare items do not give any beneficial effects, even though it would be very easy to come up with obvious ideas for what rare would mean to an item. 

• Like 2

Whykillme, if you're going to make a master list of the suggestions made up to this point then you'll need to check over your list again and make edits. You've missed some comments made by some (including myself) and made some copy/paste errors. Just as an example, #23 and #35 under "wogic" are not really suggestions at all and makes the list look like a rush job.

The list is a good idea but it could use a little refining is all.

I see yeah.. will do it tonight i guess.

After thinking about this, I still think devs needs to take the time and read through the entire history of the suggestions sub forum.  Here, we are making suggestions (again) and very little feedback on each re-suggestion, where the suggestion sub forum at least has a lot of feedback per idea.  PLEASE send devs to Suggestion sub forum to do their homework.  I feel just pulling random ideas tossed into this thread and implementing them is likely going to do much more harm than good.

If Devs are too busy to do it, then let's form two committees of players, who can sort through all the suggestions and rank them based on +1 (or likes) and -1 votes. One committee is PvP focused and other PvE.  Yes, because I don't trust either to be completely unbiased with the final list ranking ;)

I would suggest at least 2 years of ideas should be sorted.  After that, I'm sure everything is just recycled ideas.

I was going to add a few more suggestions, but the more I read this thread, the more  I think this is the right idea.  Generally, the people who have created a thread on the suggestions forum have thought things through, then you've got a decent amount of feedback on a specific topic, arguments for and against, in a nice, neatly organized thread.

While I applaud the team for looking for feedback, I think trying to do this "reader's digest" version vs. digging into the guts of the suggestions forums does a disservice to the people who have put a lot of thought and time into some very well-presented suggestions.  Do the thread, give feedback - sure - but also make sure the suggestions board is taken care of and reviewed.  Several things I thought of to bring up here have already been thoroughly canvassed in the last 6 months to a year in the suggestions board.

Add a bindable function that improves (while at 0 dmg) and repairs (while damaged).

Pretty simple.

already exists I've been using it for over a year in the console type bind <key> improve or repair or use the keybind tab in settings in the crafting sub tab

Edited by Lordterrabyte

1. deed banner

2. aliance cape

3. separate painting sails and boats

4. painting plate set (paint with gold, silver, lead, copper, tin, zinc)

5. new uses for zinc, tin, lead, copper

6. new barding only for hh (fireproof) and visible :)

7. more useful cooked food

8. colossus new gods

Definately need a better way to load / unload crates, it sucks at the moment. Also when you move some items from one crate to another you can only move the maximum you can carry so if you are moving thousands of dirts it's a pain just make it move everthing in one action without it even entering your inventory.

If you are in a boat dredging should put the dirt directly into the boat hold.

Tempering when smithing has a terrible chance of success compared to other actions, probably something to do with the water being 100ql.

Fountain pans are obviously a desired feature but unfortunately not everyone has access to them; make ingame equivilents so they become less useful. For example make a huge forge that can smelt 100 ore at a time, huge chest that can hold heaps of items etc etc

Maybe a bit unrelated to 'balance' but lastly I really think Wurm needs a global auction house so everyone can trade with each other easily, we have so many servers now and it takes literally days to sail around the maps to trade with other players, it's not fun, the mailing system is pretty broken especially for bulk goods (20c mail fee per brick lel) and merchants can only hold 50 items and to be honest shopping at market places is a pain since if you go to a marketplace I gaurantee you 50% of the merchants will be empty, and another 45% of them will be completely mislabelled (ie merchant_blacksmith selling weapons) - you will almost never find what you actually want at a marketplace.

I can't imagine it would be that hard to code; just make it so people put things on merchants but instead of only being able to find that item on the local merchant; make it so people can access every merchant on the server and then put in a search function allowing you to specify things like item, quality, enchants, cost. Interacting with other players in this game has been made such a chore; make it fun again and I think Rolf will be very surprised at the amount of silver people will buy. Just let me go to the token and buy a thousand mortar from someone on the other side of the server and pay a fee or something. It would help newer players get coins to pay for premium too.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 3

I'll try to compile a list of what I find based off of experience and checking the wiki for more details.

This site has been up for a while, though don't know how many people know about it:

https://wurmonline.uservoice.com/forums/12046-wurmonline

Edit: It's about suggestions for things to be added to the game, but could utilize something like that for seeing what ideas on balance/etc. seem to be widely supported.

Some Players would never be welcome on that Site, hence why I respond on the forums here. It was made known when the site got setup that not everyone would be allowed access to post on it. I think that is wrong. These suggestions belong on the official forums, not some exclusive site. My opinion of course.

Too many good suggestions.... I have shown my support with my Likes.

Edited by geode

Yes I meant the oven's container volume, the cauldron is is bigger then the ovens container in 2 out of 3 dimensions so it won't fit.

In order for any item to fit within any container it must pass both the size checks and the volume check, in some cases it makes little sense, since if it had been in real life you could have rotated the item around and made it fit, but in wurm the width is checked against the width of the container and so on, so if one fails the entire check fails. 

Well the debugging side of things with rulers was just my first thought when I read your suggestion, it could as you say also give players more understanding of why something don't fit.

The biggest problem from my perspective with items and sizes is actually the items that can be combined, they can often scale in rather odd ways when combining them together.

Then may we suggest that the Oven needs to be re-designed? Since we do not have an indoor "FirePit" to cook on the Oven remains the intended appliance for Cooking. A Cauldren should fit inside it. Thank you.

I would suggest an indoor "FirePit" that goes on the floor of house for Cauldren use but there are already suggestions to minimize the FPS drop in and around houses due to too many items and fire applainces.

Edited by geode

the higher the ql on the object/item makes that item look better and cooler. Being able to change the color of your Armour.

oh yeah... make more item have the shine when it's rare or higher,

giphy.gif

Oh yeah balance meditation please and nerf the speed of hell horses they are going to fast if geared up. 

Edited by princesszelda

HELL !! This is HELL read some thead like this. Actually dont know, why that threads start, there is full suggestion of wogic things. And resust? MESS and FLOOD. Why dont devs simply write here on which code work just now and ask player how they imagine? This has NO PROGRESS.

already exists I've been using it for over a year in the console type bind <key> improve or repair or use the keybind tab in settings in the crafting sub tab

Reading comprehension.

Add a bindable function that improves (while at 0 dmg) and repairs (while damaged).

Pretty simple.

iow a keybind that does both.

and just to make it super duper clear to you... I'm saying a single keybind does 2 diffrent types of actions dependant on the items dmg levels.

HELL !! This is HELL read some thead like this. Actually dont know, why that threads start, there is full suggestion of wogic things. And resust? MESS and FLOOD. Why dont devs simply write here on which code work just now and ask player how they imagine? This has NO PROGRESS.

this is a brainstorm thread for devs.

Things get posted here.

PR dudes collect info and neatly summarise it.

Devs overlook the summarised info and might work on some of the things asked for.

Oh I don't know, seems to me like the Devs will compile a list of ideas that can be done and then take that list to the public for approval.

Kappa

Edited by Zol

this is a brainstorm thread for devs.

Things get posted here.

PR dudes collect info and neatly summarise it.

Devs overlook the summarised info and might work on some of the things asked for.

ye, brainstorm as all suggestion forum. And nothing real changes

I was surprised if 1% of these posts will get real shape. Y can see there same and same ideas over years and nothing change. 

Edited by ftoz

I need to be standing on the ground to drop a horse shoe onto a horse