Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

General Balance Discussion

Hey all,

Wurm is well over a decade old as a game, and along the way, some bits of the game have ended up a little unbalanced or odd. For instance, some items might have odd volumes (e.g. kingdom banners not fitting in an empty knarr) or maybe unmailable fishing rods (when things like halberds can be mailed) is actually something you'd like to see changed.

We'd love to collect as many examples of small qwerks in the game (aka "Wogic") as possible from the community, all in one topic. There's a separate topic about artifacts.

The devs are currently away for a few more weeks so nothing will happen immediately, and suggestions are as ever at the discretion of developers as to whether or not they'd be added.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 15

going to keep a notepad in hand and I'll be back in a week with a list!

• Like 13

Large crates holding based upon volume like BSBs not just count=300

• Like 2

Balance NahjOP

Kinda late to nerf something after its been in the game for so long, many good priests already converted and lost faith for it. Libila has had the same veggie bonus for what, a year now? Why should nahjo be nerfed.

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 11

Off the top of my head something that affects everyone both pve/pvp, crates are like one of the best things to ever be added to wurm, but unloading and loading them is one of the most aggravating things to do ever. 

We need to be able to pick up empty crates like bsbs, and drop them into boats/carts/wagons as well

We need to be able to drag directly from container to container (example: dragging a stack of crates from my knarr to my wagon so it doesn't take an hour to move all the crates in a knarr)

Edit:  Also need some better solution for loading into larger boats, but dragging crates semi-fixes the issue for crates at least

I'll post more another time when I think of some things

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 47

Player positioning de-sync, high memory usage/leak in large scale PVP.

Basically make the game more playable in PVP.

• Like 25

Re-calibrate the way boat holds work.  The recent boat changes were great in regards to looks and collisions but you can't access the hold unless you are very close to the commander spot.  Larger boats, like the caravel, are almost impossible to load by yourself because you can't target a crate that is close enough to be loaded.

• Like 31

Re-calibrate the way boat holds work.  The recent boat changes were great in regards to looks and collisions but you can't access the hold unless you are very close to the commander spot.  Larger boats, like the caravel, are almost impossible to load by yourself because you can't target a crate that is close enough to be loaded.

I agree 100% with this.  The loading distance and/or mechanics for loading crates/items into boats needs to be adjusted.  I'd be happy if you just made it 3x the loading distance - and I can't think of any real disadvantages.  It's just a serious pain.

• Like 8

The ability to move bulk items between crates and BsBs etc in one go, instead of click-drag-enter over and over again. 

• Like 31

- a hull plank will not fit into a sailing boat

- a tall kingdom banner won't fit into anything at all

• Like 3

Off the top of my head something that affects everyone both pve/pvp, crates are like one of the best things to ever be added to wurm, but unloading and loading them is one of the most aggravating things to do ever. 

We need to be able to pick up empty crates like bsbs, and drop them into boats/carts/wagons as well

We need to be able to drag directly from container to container (example: dragging a stack of crates from my knarr to my wagon so it doesn't take an hour to move all the crates in a knarr)

Edit:  Also need some better solution for loading into larger boats, but dragging crates semi-fixes the issue for crates at least

Futher more on crates and bsb/fsb, it could that that are made so that they can be folded up for storage, in a folded state they can be be picked up and put into carts/wagons/boats, they are the same wait but are half or quater the volume, and can store nothing.

• Like 2

• Wooden Beams do not go into a bsb or crate.
  • You can use miscellaneous bladed things to butcher(at lower ql) but you can not use anything but a sickle to sprout.
  • Like 24

If you can pick it up and put it in your inventory, the spirits ought to be able to mail it, period.

Also, lets encourage trade and mail by dropping the fees charged.  Flat rate postage - 1c per item anywhere, anytime.  Let's compete with UPS!

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 33

One thing come to mind when i hear the topic "Balance Wurm". 

Better RNG, As in, 99% Chance to make something, Make a 100 items, You shouldn't fail 10 to 20 of those. Or when achieving 100% to make something, You shouldn't fail, Period.

Edited by akaedis
  • Like 19

Either the loading distance or position to load needs to be examined more closely.  It does not seem intuitive and is even more difficult than the already cumbersome process prior on larger boats like corbitas, cogs, and caravels.  crate loading is sometimes not possible or a very long process of guess work to figure out how t successfully load currently.

• Like 3

this

Can we have a thread for Valrei?

this

Player positioning de-sync, high memory usage/leak in large scale PVP.

Basically make the game more playable in PVP.

this

this

The ability to move bulk items between crates and BsBs etc in one go, instead of click-drag-enter over and over again.

this

- a hull plank will not fit into a sailing boat

- a tall kingdom banner won't fit into anything at all

this

Wooden Beams do not go into a bsb or crate.

this 

If you can pick it up and put it in your inventory, the spirits ought to be able to mail it, period.

Also, lets encourage trade and mail by dropping the fees charged.  Flat rate postage - 1c per item anywhere, anytime.  Let's compete with UPS!

this

One things come to mind when i hear the topic "Balance Wurm". 

Better RNG, As in, 99% Chance to make something, Make a 100 items, You shouldn't fail 10 to 20 of those. Or when achieving a 100% to make something, You shouldn't fail, Period.

and this

• Like 5

when u place steel in backpacks its diffrent everytime 

and i mean u can hold X amount of iron in a back pack > than X steel but steel weighs less 

Armor. 

Not going to get into a huge long thing of details or ideas, but need to either make cloth, leather, chain etc. viable for some reason other than weight and the archery/casting debuff, or look at removing them, or something.  There's not enough incentive to use them in 99% of cases making all of that largely wasted items/skills/etc. in the database.  Make it useful and viable for more than just movement speed and the archery/spellcasting debuff (which was and remains controversial to begin with), there has to be a way to make it really usable and incentivized for priests to use cloth, archers/ranger type playstyle to use leather, etc. but not such that they're guaranteed to die in 2 hits in PVP...maybe resists that are higher on cloth, and scaled less and less, with nothing on plate?  Something.  I am sure people have good ideas without me writing a novel here.

Edited by Mirax
  • Like 11

Kinda late to nerf something after its been in the game for so long, many good priests already converted and lost faith for it. Libila has had the same veggie bonus for what, a year now? Why should nahjo be nerfed.

At least Lib priests couldn't also farm their own veggies.

They also had to be on chaos, which is a large barrier to entry for a lot of freedomers.

But yeah, like you said, a bit late now.

• Like 1

All neutral animals should be allowed to swim (sheep, bison, cattle..etc) 

Edit: If you have to keep them out of the water when they are wondering around then just make them able to swim when they are being lead if not lead then they do not swim like always.  

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 17

All neutral animals should be allowed to swim (sheep, bison, cattle..etc) 

There's enough seahorses.

All neutral should be allowed to swim when leading them, but not on their own.

• Like 9

• The first thing I can think of that drives me crazy is trying to put things into a crate or bsb or something, and it won't let you because the item would be destroyed. For example, meat or smaller items like pottery and such.
  • I also think it would be easier to move things from crate to crate if clicking the 'as much as i can take' (I'm not sure if those are the exact words) button wouldn't just move 3 or 4 of that item into the other crate at a time, but as much as the second crate can hold. Like say you have 10 logs in one crate but the second crate can only hold 4, so by pushing the 'as much as i can take' button would move 4 logs into the second crate and leave 6 behind. I think what the game is doing though is taking the items out of the crate , into your inventory, then into the second crate. (That's why it might only move 3 or 4 at a time - because you might not be able to hold more than that in you inventory) But i think it would be nice if it skipped the inventory step. ​
​Hopefully that makes sense. lol

Edit - I just realised this might not be balancing, and I'm sorry, but I do think it is something that could be changed

Edited by Courtcourt
  • Like 5