Sign in to follow this  
Viti

How to upgrade to Java 8

Hello!

Since we have to update to Java 8 soon, I figured Ill write a little tutorial to make it go as smooth as possible!

Windows

1. Uninstall all previous versions of Java. You can do this either through the Configuration panel or use the Java uninstall tool which can be found here

2. Install the correct Java version! If you have Windows 64 bit, download and install the offline 64 bit java installer which can be found here

Java tends to install the 32 bit version by default. Unless you have a 32 bit version of windows, you do not want this. 32 bit java tends to be very crashy with wurm. So stick with the 64 bit installation, unless you have a 32 bit windows!

If you are unsure which version of Windows you are running, you might check out this page

3. You are now ready to start wurm again!

Linux (Ubuntu / Linux Mint edition)

The best way for Linux is to simply install it from the original website. Many people using Linux are capable of doing this, however, if you are new to Linux like me, and struggle with the usual installation, I here present a different method that should be a lot easier with basic terminal knowledge and adds the Java update to the general Linux update manager!

1. Make sure wurm is closed and start the terminal

2. Add the webupd8team Java PPA repository to your system and install Oracle Java 8 using the following commands:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

3. Once installation is done and the terminal command is back, type $ java -version to check which version is currently installed. It should look like this

mrYYFee.png

4. You are now ready to use your new java 8! However, you might want to take an extra step. The webupd8 ppa repository also provides a package to set environmental variables. To install this package use the following command:

$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default

5. All done! Be aware that the webupd8 package might be a bit behind on the Oracle-site downloaded one in version, and sometimes it can take a bit before it updates to the latest version. It currently IS the latest version, however! They seem to be behind about 2 weeks. 

I hope this guide is helpful to some, at least. Any additions are always welcome and any errors can be reported to me :)

Yours truly,

Viti

Edited by Viti
  • Like 11

Hey, super thank you for posting this. It should minimize a lot of confusion a long the way.

Sticky please?

• Like 1

Just go to this site and download for whatever OS you use.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Many people dont instantly know which to pick though. Many end up with the 32 bit version as I have noticed for windows. "Just downloading the Linux version" doesnt work either when on certain distributions and gets a lot of extra stuff you need to do that I dont understand myself as well, while my instructions, even a linux newbie like me could do instantly without much trouble.

It might seem common sense to some, but for some people this can be really confusing and my instructions are aimed at these people, not to the people who already find this "easy and simple".

Many people dont instantly know which to pick though. Many end up with the 32 bit version as I have noticed for windows. "Just downloading the Linux version" doesnt work either when on certain distributions and gets a lot of extra stuff you need to do that I dont understand myself as well, while my instructions, even a linux newbie like me could do instantly without much trouble.

It might seem common sense to some, but for some people this can be really confusing and my instructions are aimed at these people, not to the people who already find this "easy and simple".

Its understandable, i know, i just say the website i point is a better source with all the versions and also documentation, i didn't explained myself, i'm sorry.

If by ("Just downloading the Linux version" doesnt work either when on certain distributions) you mean RPM packages its true, if you are on a debian based distro you could use "alien" to make a .deb package from that .rpm (this method dont work with all kind of software) but you dont need to since you have the tarball package, to install just unpack it on the desired folder, then you just set the environment vars if you want.

By other side, that version on that repository (webupd8team) is not the latest.

After all good job.

• Like 1

Its understandable, i know, i just say the website i point is a better source with all the versions and also documentation, i didn't explained myself, i'm sorry.

If by ("Just downloading the Linux version" doesnt work either when on certain distributions) you mean RPM packages its true, if you are on a debian based distro you could use "alien" to make a .deb package from that .rpm (this method dont work with all kind of software) but you dont need to since you have the tarball package, to install just unpack it on the desired folder, then you just set the environment vars if you want.

By other side, that version on that repository (webupd8team) is not the latest.

After all good job.

I am going to try to get it to work from the original website as you said! I only recently added Linux to my laptop and I am not that knowledgeable about it yet. I really struggled with the original installation, so when a friend made me aware of this and I instantly did it I thought it might help others who are not that smart with Linux do the same. I grow while using it though!

Now you said this I did some searching and realized it is probably one person who updates this particular package and if he doesn't do it I do not get any update. If I manage to install the one from the original site, I will update the tutorial!  :) Perhaps installation is now easier since there is already a version installed. When I did this before, it kept using the OpenJDK 7 that was installed by default on Linux Mint. Perhaps I should have removed that one before I installed the Oracle Java.

Thank you in any case! Due to things like this, I become more and more aware of all things Linux ;)

• Like 1

I am going to try to get it to work from the original website as you said! I only recently added Linux to my laptop and I am not that knowledgeable about it yet. I really struggled with the original installation, so when a friend made me aware of this and I instantly did it I thought it might help others who are not that smart with Linux do the same. I grow while using it though!

Now you said this I did some searching and realized it is probably one person who updates this particular package and if he doesn't do it I do not get any update. If I manage to install the one from the original site, I will update the tutorial!   :) Perhaps installation is now easier since there is already a version installed. When I did this before, it kept using the OpenJDK 7 that was installed by default on Linux Mint. Perhaps I should have removed that one before I installed the Oracle Java.

Thank you in any case! Due to things like this, I become more and more aware of all things Linux ;)

i see perfect that you help others to install it in a right way, its positive and enrich community, i appologize for my first post for not explain myself.

Exactly, that repository is updated by a third party, its better get them from the original source imho.

Look for "One Page Linux", its a minimal manual for basic linux commands, its nice to have it printed. :)

• Like 1

The method for Linux that Vitti correctly described in the OP is officially endorsed by Ubuntu. Using that method you still download all the Java code directly from Oracle's Java site.

• Like 1

The method for Linux that Vitti correctly described in the OP is officially endorsed by Ubuntu. Using that method you still download all the Java code directly from Oracle's Java site.

Oracle Java (JDK) Installer (automatically downloads and installs Oracle JDK7 / JDK8 / JDK9). There are no actual Java files in this PPA.

True, but still not updated.

i found that ppa along time ago, i choosed the fine version, implent it my self, but i got lazy i added the ppa for fastest updates =), that site webupd8team ppl should look on, its rather good one =), anyhow take care

they have updated the ppa so its works rather asap now.

Edited by MrCoolMan

I have followed instructions at the top of this post to install 64-bit Java 8.  I have a 64-bit machine.  I am getting the error messages: Version Mismatch, and Java Compatibility issues.  I am running Windows 7, SP 1 and Firefox 40.0.3.  How can I resolve this error?

Thanks,

Casimir

I have followed instructions at the top of this post to install 64-bit Java 8.  I have a 64-bit machine.  I am getting the error messages: Version Mismatch, and Java Compatibility issues.  I am running Windows 7, SP 1 and Firefox 40.0.3.  How can I resolve this error?

Thanks,

Casimir

i am haveing the same problem