Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Trolling or Name and shame

So what is the difference in the two? Is it only trolling when the person did not do anything wrong like stealing or something? What classifies the two if i say so and so is stealing am i naming and shaming or trolling?  What if i am making part or all of it up for fun and to throw shade how are the mods going to know what is trolling and what is name and shame? 

I just don't want things to get out of hand here. I was accused of things today and some of it was completely made up but what's stopping people from making up whole things on people for fun?  Are we just meant to judge by who is posting the name and shame to know if it is real or just someone getting trolled by the accuser? 

Edit: I was all for name and shame before but now i am wondering if it was better before where word of mouth was the way of things. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

With all the interactions I have had with you, no accusations would prevent me from future business with you.

• Like 4

A lot of these topics lately should have been deleted for witch hunting without evidence. If you accuse someone you should have the evidence to back it up or shut up.

Don't be sad Kegan. Do you need a hug?

See like this is this trolling if so will it get removed or will it be allowed to stay?

This is the thing i am wanting to get away from we do not need this kind of interaction on the forums. What new people must think when they come look at the forums with stealing threads then things about griefing within the rules. What has this forum come too? 

Edited by Kegan

See like this is this trolling if so will it get removed or will it be allowed to stay?

This is the thing i am wanting to get away from we do not need this kind of interaction on the forums. What new people must think when they come look at the forums with stealing threads then things about griefing within the rules. What has this forum come too?

Don't confuse banter with trolling Kegan.

I think what we're seeing lately is a shift in how people are on the forums. They've seen people start to get banned for stealing and other stuff that we wouldn't see a ban from before, so they start to play the "name and shame" game more in hopes other people get thrown around as well.

I have my opinions about you from my own observations. I will not state them in this post. However, no one should ever be spreading lies about other people. It's happened to me in the past. I've lost who I considered a close friend from it even. It sucks and I feel for you.

Don't confuse banter with trolling Kegan.

You call that banter well i call that trolling you are provoking me to make a response or make me upset.

I am not upset i am just sick of people using this place for their vendettas and the staff allowing it to happen.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

I remember a time about a year and a half or so ago where I had left a village. I left for reasons of theft against me that cost me more than 100e in time or effort. So I took all raw resources and items I had bought and paid for, loaded my knarr, and left the village. The next day when I logged on I had a flood of KoS messages and many forum PMs because the mayor of the deed twisted what had happened to say I had stolen the deeds resources, tools and items. Little did that person know that I save logs and receipts of all transactions in game and after only about a day I had proven to the community that I was the one stolen from. The effects of this undesirable actions caused that player to destroy everything on his deed, disband and rage quit. He was no longer in game but my reputation was still tarnished for a little bit and took some time to be regenerated.

Lies have an incredible longstanding effect and I believe that instead of name and shame or trolling that things should be approached in the appropriate manner.... /support. If it is not able to be handled through /support then handle your grievances like adults and settle it there between 2 adults. It is not the communities responsibility to handle 2 peoples problem and often leads to unfavorable responses to both parties involved.

• Like 5

Your friends will back you up and most of the time you won't have to say a word to defend yourself.

After reading the post from the person you are most likely referring to, I wouldn't worry about it considering that player's reputation....

Edited by Lotus1

Well some of it was true but the fact that it is okay to post about someone is the "bad" thing about it i guess. I am sure he will say that i never offered him his money back and i have replaced my pc since then so i have no logs to prove it but it is a lie i did offer him his money back. He wanted the space to build some canal i think and was just upset that it did not fall as quick as he wanted but he did not want to sell it back to me either because i would have continued to drain it.

I did not even want to sell it he puts it like i was trying to off load it he was the one asking me to sell it. I was earning 12-15s a month off of it and just dropping in a few coins so i was fine with keeping it. Now on if the tax was set high or not i have no idea to be honest but i know for sure i offered to buy it back and he said it was fine. 

Sure that is what lead me to post this but i am still sick of seeing all the bs posted all the time too. ( I have posted my own stuff too i know but we need to stop it is getting crazy) 

Edited by Kegan

Its all a matter of perspective.

If the authorities know/like/favor the accuser its naming and shaming

If the authlrities know/like/favor the accused its trolling.

I am prepared for this to be removed.

• Like 2

Its all a matter of perspective.

If the authorities know/like/favor the accuser its naming and shaming

If the authlrities know/like/favor the accused its trolling.

I am prepared for this to be removed.

Like... in b4 deletion

• Like 1

So what is the difference in the two? Is it only trolling when the person did not do anything wrong like stealing or something? What classifies the two if i say so and so is stealing am i naming and shaming or trolling?  What if i am making part or all of it up for fun and to throw shade how are the mods going to know what is trolling and what is name and shame? 

I just don't want things to get out of hand here. I was accused of things today and some of it was completely made up but what's stopping people from making up whole things on people for fun?  Are we just meant to judge by who is posting the name and shame to know if it is real or just someone getting trolled by the accuser? 

Edit: I was all for name and shame before but now i am wondering if it was better before where word of mouth was the way of things. 

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I think name & shame is more useful than not.  People will generally consider the content of the accusation, as well as the reputations of the parties involved.  A post with your side of the story, which you made, is generally enough to shed light on the situations, and of course if there's evidence that's all the better though not necessarily required.  In your case, the accuser has no evidence either so your respective reputations (not to mention the general attitude & content of other posts made by each over time) is enough to give a good idea who is telling the truth.

If I was to make a guess right now, I'd say that a number of the recent threads started for the purpose of making trouble and starting arguments (such as the one about a so-called thieves guld or the skirmishers one), is a knee jerk reaction by those who want to get the name & shame policy changed back to the old *let us griefers stay anonymous* policy of the past.

Not only are they transparent in their efforts, but it is making the game in general look very bad to anyone coming to the forum who might be thinking about trying the game.  There is a very good reason why this game has the reputation of Griefer's Paradise, and this is a large part of it.  (As a side note, true story, I recently invited a rl friend to check out the game. She's not much of a gamer in general, and certainly no pvper, but took  a little time to check the forums.  I tried to warn her about the forums, but she looked anyway.  lol.  She actually laughed at me and told me in so many words that there is no way in hell she would be interested).

I feel that if a thread is started, or a post made that is trying to shed light on a situation, that it is absolutely appropriate to name the person causing the problem.  Allowing things to remain in the shadows only allows people to remain even more anonymous than the internet makes them already.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

I guess you are right the name and shame does have good in it and i do hope they keep on cracking down on the problems we face from the people that like to grief in the game. I was in the heat of the post about me when i made this one and now that i have cooled off some i can see that.

I do wish that if he really did have issues with me that he would have said so back then and not bring it up years later to do whatever he thought he was doing. I guess he was more upset over the situation then at me as i did disclose everything to him when he bought the writ and i had offered to buy it back but he wanted his canal i guess. To me that means that he should have no right to be upset over the deal and i guess that is why i never heard anything from him over it till that post.

Anyway i am going to move on i have said my part on the deal and i think everyone knows me good enough by now to know anyway. I have done loads of deals with so many people that i do not even remember them all and i am sure it all adds up to thousands of euros over my time here. 

I do think that the name and shame has some use to people to protect others so i will leave this here now and ask that this be closed and move on with my day. Sorry that you all had to be brought into this and had to deal with the drama from me today but i guess you got a glimpse into some of my history. 

Sorry to have seen Rickey leave the game so abruptly like he did back then. (the guy that the deed belonged too and my game friend) 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1