Sign in to follow this  
Journeya

What server should you join? Well, Indepence, of course. Come join our village!

OgwOOz7.jpg

We are welcoming new and returning players at the N. Indy Academy.

Brand new and looking for a place to stay as to make survival a little easier?
Want to get back in the game without starting your own deed?

Tired of being lonely? Looking for a strong community?

WHY Indepence?
Its the perfect size 

Xanadu is too large to travel from edge to edge comfortably (and the other servers are too small instead = little wildneress left.)

Steady playerbase

With WU, Independence didn't loose nearly the amounf ot players that Xanadu did!

We are old, experienced, and we love this server too much to abandon it.

It has the most active ratio of players in relation to the server size, hence you get a lot of activity = active alliance = activa trade/barter system. We had people move here from Xanadu in search of a more active community.

So what can we offer you here on this great server?

We are right on the beach of Colossus lake (Independence server), just a couple of tiles from water and convenient highways to help you navigate. All the basic resources are very conveniently located here. 

This village is also part of an alliance, with several experienced and friendly players - this allows you to use the alliance chat channel to get in touch with the surrounding community, in times of need, or just for fun.

(The village itself is an alliance creation, hence a lot of us are invested in the Academy).

Don't forget that you get a free teleportation to the Academy as well (if you haven't already used this option when joining another deed.)

Housing:

We got two options for housing atm:

Your very own locked room in our inn

(til something else opens up OR you/we build something new for you :) )

Empty land to build on
The available plots of land are 4x6 - but a 3x6 house would be max due to the other tiles being on a slope (mild slope for farming, fences or such)

HFf10jb.jpg

So what do we have to offer?

Resources:

The mine entrance is on deed, with the main material needed (iron) being right inside the entrance. Very convenient.

Tar and clay are within 2 minutes of travelling either by boat or on foot (or in a cart or wagon if you got premium).

A public farm area where you can grow crops, tend to them and eventually harvest them. The farm also holds animals for grooming, milking, shearing and breeding. It also has a kitchen with ovens and a storage area for crops, seeds and wood needed to fuel the ovens.

A Public workshop where we have set up some of the basic tools you will need (several forges, anvils, a loom and such).

The alliance - this might be your greatest resource ever. Need advice? In dire need of some assistance? The alliance probably got your back.

Safety:

Gated community to keep trolls out, and guardtower on deed if somehow something does finds its way in.

So what are you waiting for?! Come on in! 'How' do you ask? Just contact me on the forums, or send a PM to Seancarl in game (also me).
It also works to talk to Asdf, Malchimus or Lillie for an invitation.

Edited by Journeya
  • Like 6

I've been into two Academies who claimed they would "Teach" me how to play the game and "help" me.. But really all they did was asking me to dig and mine for them, i had no house for three weeks and on one of them they never gave me any house or plot despite the fact that i mined over 2000 iron ores for them. When i asked for a new shovel they told me, "Run an alt and have him give you his sh*tty 10 QL pickaxe" That will likely break after 200 mining actions. So really..  I have a bad history with these kinds of deeds.

Edited by ownerpure5

Ouch, that sounds shitty Ownerpure. I can assure you, and anyone looking on here, that we do not ask for anything. You get your house, your yard, access to the public areas - but how you spend your time is totally up to you. We have had players who just run around exploring, looking for something to kill, some who just fish, some who just chat it up. Got a villager on my personal deed and I have never asked her to do anything for me - she has spent the time building her own off-deed farm and a sailboat to fish from (which we helped her out with a bit since certain parts are hard to make when you are low skilled).

The housing was built by planks cut by me and alliance mates - one villager volounteered (thanks Qaz :)  ) to help a bit but it was nothing I expected from them at all. I did about 2/3rds of the work, my ally Vardoj (not a villager here) did about 1/3 - so the villagers are not slaves in any aspect. I was happy to build it all by myself :) There is a huge difference between someone asking "hey, is there anything I can do to help?" vs. me "demanding" them to do stuff. We help if we want to - some like community projects. But these things will go into the community. And that is really only if you feel like thats your thing.

We have a guy who went to work on the Magranon scar highway by himself. Same guy has offered to take our Academy guys on hunting trips in the future. I want players to ENJOY the game - so the villagers have to figure out what fits them. Hunting, exploring, farming, caring for animals, decorating, helping eachother - whatever you enjoy. My goal is to keep people in this game - not drive them away from it. Having people slave away is a good way to drive them away from it. 

You are not mining some 2k ore for me to level my blacksmithing or anything. If you were mining 2k ore here it would be so you could sell them for 2s yourself, or because you were leveling your own mining for whatever personal reasons.

So I hope you can tell, we are not "keeping newbies as slaves". We just want to have fun - and we want people to enjoy the game - which is a lot easier with some good company. I started out at Brashes "Orphanage" when it existed - it was a great experience for us. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope you are enjoying the game wherever you are at now though :)

• Like 1

From what I've seen of Journeya, she is far from being a slavedriver that preys on new players. I strongly believe that you would be in good hands at her deed and even might witness the building of awesome projects.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good word Hauler :) Academy is helping me stall on my other project right now ;P It might be finished in a year or two ;P

From what I know about Journeya, it is the best place to start (or continue) this wonderful game. 

The worst thing I can think of is an academy where the people "in the know" are seldom online and there is nobody to answer questions or provide tips. The North Indy Academy is NOT such a place.

I have had the chance to visit and be a guest of this alliance, and its a great bunch of people.  ;)

:wub:  Note to self: Make a plan to visit again  :wub:

Thanks Queen :D Been a long time :) Just make an alt and come on over someday if nothing else :) Might want to wait til my next huge project is done though - it will be something to behold for sure :)

Journeya is a good wurmian, your in good hands with her!

Be good to see some screenshots of the Academy. Pics are always a good draw.

• Like 2

The North Indy Academy are wonderful people, and the screenshots of Journeya's deed are amazing. I imagine she will post some of the best ones here but I can also try to look up a few.  The one thing you WON'T find at their place, is greedy exploiters trying to take advantage of new players. Llama and North Indy Academy are the two shining jewels of the Independence Server, as far as getting new players "Hooked On Wurm". and dedicated to helping/teaching new players, not exploiting them.  I consider the Independence server truly lucky to have both of these two communities.  (I am not connnected to either group, though I have had past interactions with both groups.)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Some "past posted"  pictures I dug up till Journeya can post better ones of her place:

cZ9Giom.jpg

tRDxQKm.jpg

Wk3C3wj.jpg

MYAwBLr.jpg

W5TRAif.jpg

• Like 1

Hehe, thats kind of you Brashe :) Those are from our other two deeds right nextdoors (apart from the timber building on a "hill" - thats on the very top of a mountain - no one lives there though so I would be more than happy to set someone up in that house if you are crazy enough to live alone on a hill with the whole world below you :) ).

Just finished the bottom layer of the academy workshop - needs a little bit more work before its screenshot-worthy though - so give me a week or two and this post will have screenshots of the Academy for sure.

Well, the mind and architect behind the designs are the same so I expect  the upcoming screenshots will also be simply fabulous  ....  What I love most about pics of Journeya's various deeds are that they are warm, unique places and not cold sterile squares of buildings made tall "just because we can".  For instance, the tall lonely house on the mountain is designed to reflect on the natural beauty of the surrounding nature, rather than simply to pave and flatten everything possible in a 2 mile radius as cold grey pavement with an occasional fenced tree, or flatraised 300 dirts high "just to show how tall we can pile up dirt". These are places I would enjoy spending an afternoon strolling around and admiring,  I really must get over there for a visit one of these days ^_^

If I sound enthused  \o/   it is because I understand ownerpure5's unfortunate experience is NOT unique in Wurm and that a lot of new players have suffered from this sort of "exploitation" -- I have heard stories like that for years and so when we get a place that is genuinely helping new players with zero expectations of any benefit to themselves,  I get rather ...  excited   :P   (ok the coffee had a LITTLE to do with it.)

• Like 1

You will just have to come visit once its done - my design is littered with rope bridges above ground with trees surrounding the area. It will be unique for sure :D The perfect place for "strolling around".

Here is the academy! :) As you can tell the large building and the towers are still under construction - but that's our workshop in the making, and as good as finished by now. On the left is the player housing. Right now we got 3 empty houses (with fenced, private yards) awaiting their new owners.vMDLIby.jpg

Seancarl's always been very nice in my experience. Good luck with the academy! :)

Let me know when you are at a point where you want a video done. I'd be happy to come do one. Just make a disposable alt and I can log onto it and hit the record button. We've done it this way for a couple of deed video lately.

*bumping with new picture*

We have two empty houses at the moment. Big houses with large yards - you can easily share it with a friend or two if you are more than one person joining.

I've been around a few years, and I can tell ya Journeya and Asdf are definitely good folks to learn the ropes from. I remember asking Asdf plenty of questions when I first started.  You also see them answering questions in chat as well.

If you are starting out, or even just looking for good folks to play with I'd recommend them with two thumbs up.

Great work on the new look all, looks awesome!!

Edited by Stormblade

I decided to be a blacklighter for what ever reason and have only played a total of about 3 days of in game time, is it still possible for me to get here from the chaos server? I would like to join if I could because I don't think Black Legion or any of the other places would recruit me. For now I will continue sitting in my cave slowly making hull planks.

Kek - I sent you a PM on the forums here. Feel free to contact me ingame (on Seancarl or Journeya)

*bump*
We are adding the ability to build your own house on deed with the safety it gives you. 

We now have villagers who are eager for more people to join them (villagers are spread out on both us and eu time).

So I repeat, come join us - the more, the merrier :)

I've been with the North Indy Academy for about 2 or 3 weeks now and am loving it up here.

It's a great place to learn to play the game in a safe environment and lots of friendly helpful folks.

Definitely no slavedrivers up here. Quite the opposite in fact.

I would think even for non-newbs it's a good place to come see. Lot's of land nearby and a good community.

• Like 2

Glad this is still going :) great bunch of people, very friendly alliance. Definitely recommend this village if your starting out on Indy.

• Like 2

*bump*
We are still recruiting! :)

We have ready made houses as well as plots to build your own creation on (houses are available for living in while you build your own dream home.)

Plots are 4x6 but only 3x6 possible to build on (the last tile is sloped but is flat enough for farming and fences.)

The two available houses are large with a yard (our housing is 3x3 with a second floor level - lots of room and 3x4 yards.))

• Like 1