Sign in to follow this  
Smoopadoop

Ground textures screwed up

So my animations were weird and demonic, and I was told to turn off GLSL and VBO.
I did, and now my ground textures are all wrong.
When I move around, they move too, and some tiles look like two textures faded together.
I can't turn GLSL and VBO back on or else my animations implode!
I'm not very tech-savvy so idk where to find my specs or which ones matter so just have this, I hope it's relevant. http://i.imgur.com/6Tui3kI.png

Pics of screwed textures:
http://imgur.com/a/B26eo

Pics of moving textures (pay attention to the position of pavement, these were all taken while standing on different but adjacent tiles):
http://imgur.com/a/DPdwc

Send help

• Like 1

Hi,

Verify if your system is 64bit, and that your java is the same... looks kinda familiar  B)

Edit: Also on second thoughts... verify that your graphic card is actually handling 3D, not the onboard chip.

Edited by Roysta

Hi,

Verify if your system is 64bit, and that your java is the same... looks kinda familiar  B)

Edit: Also on second thoughts... verify that your graphic card is actually handling 3D, not the onboard chip.

86bit system, 86bit java.

how do I do that third thing

I am bad at compute

I use windoze 8... is right-click on desktop > Nvidia Config Panel > some split window opens

where i find sub-menu "manage 3D settings" on left,

and drop down menu on right hand side to select either 'automatic' / 'Nvidia' / 'onboard'...

so i select Nvidia.

This might be a little different on your PC depending on what Sytem / Gx Card you got...

Edit: when my win8 updated to win8.1 these settings had been reset, and i had to do it again.

Edited by Roysta

I use windoze 8... is right-click on desktop > Nvidia Config Panel > some split window opens

where i find sub-menu "manage 3D settings" on left,

and drop down menu on right hand side to select either 'automatic' / 'Nvidia' / 'onboard'...

so i select Nvidia.

This might be a little different on your PC depending on what Sytem / Gx Card you got...

Edit: when my win8 updated to win8.1 these settings had been reset, and i had to do it again.

I'm trying to do this, but for some reason it resets every time I close the window no matter how many times I click "apply"

I've looked around but I can't find anybody else with this problem! Did it just work for you when you changed the dropdown? Or did you have to fiddle with it a bunch?

Do you have an NVidia or Radeon or Intel graphics?  If it is NVidia you have to tell it to use the NVidia for JAVA (else it defaults to the intel low power setting).  see this thread for pictures on how to fix with NVIDIA setups:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110326-graphics-bug-with-terrain/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/116972-skin-mess-ups/

(is that the same window you are hitting APPLY to no avail? I am not syre why APPLY would not stick except to maybe restart the computer then try again. And don't switch it while logged into the game)  *** edit: oops that was not the specific thread I was looking for although it is also works,  that sets it to ALWAYS use the NVidia which means battery power is used up much faster for everything, I am still looking for the thread that specifically is on telling it to use NVIDIA with JAVA applications -- it does not realize JAVA can be a game so defaults to the battery saving Intel mode.  This is ONLY for laptops using so called Optimus or Switchable Graphics (use an Intel grphics to conserve battery and a highend dedicated gaming graphics like Nvidia/Radeon for games)

If Intel graphics is your only option then you are probably out of luck. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

My laptop came with all the NVidia stuff so I'm guessing it's NVidia. It even came with an Nvidia Geforce sticker on it.
That is the window I'm talking about. I've restarted but it didn't do anything. I'm going to try to install the newest drivers, brb.

What is the laptop model? Some laptops also have a toggle in BIOS to enable / disable Optimus (which is the special driver where the computer decides on the fly which graphics processor to use)

DELL has a page here on how to toggle this BIOS switch on theirs, it might be similar for other laptop makers

Toggling it on, SHOULD now allow you to enable it in NVidia Control Panel. Another thing to try is to toggle it OFF and then install regular NVidia drivers instead if the special Optimus drivers. This will probably use more battery power but ensure you are using the GeForce gaming card at all times.

You should be able to go to CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > DEVICE MANAGER > DISPLAY ADAPTER and see what graphics adapter your laptop THINKS is there. From what you describe there ought to be two -- an Intel and a NVidia GeForce, but if only an Intel is listed we will need to try that BIOS toggle. If on the other hand only the NVIDIA is listed, then you should be ok (just uses battery charge up faster)

HP Envy 17
Device manager says two things:
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
NVIDIA Geforce GT 740M

I can't find how to toggle Optimus!
Please help!

Well I found this on the HP site which sounds like it is impossible on the HP Envy 17 to turn off Optimus:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Optimus-in-HP-ENVY-17t-j100-Leap-Motion/td-p/4334212

Q: Can I disconect the optimus technology and only use the NVIDIA card?

A: The short answer is no.  On your type of system, the Intel gpu is always used to render the final display, regardless of whether the discrete Nvidia chip is being used for graphics processing or not.

This might explain why on yours, it is not possible to use the option to always use NVidia. This thread suggests HP Envy 17 users have been frustrated with this issue before. The frustrating thing in that thread is the user clearly states he has the Nvidia 740M (like you) but the HP tech rep only refers him to articles on HP using ATI cards, which require them to make setting changes in Catalyst Control Center (which no Nvidia user would have access to). I assume this is because the tech person is just cut and pasting random responses from their Official HP Random Response Handbook, and that they have no idea what ati/ nvidia even are. 

Sometimes this also means you are ONLY able to use the "official" HP drivers because (at least in the past) the NVidia official drivers may not support Optimus, as well as HP instructing NVidia to block driver installation and refer users to the laptop maker's website for drivers. . This is hugely unfortunate since HP rarely ever updates their drivers, and usually models them on much older (but stable for office use) driver builds. On the other hand I thought I read someplace that uninstalling the Optimus driver and manually installing only an Nviida driver might mean only the NVidia display was used, although the "question and answer" seemed to suggest that HP  requires the Intel to render the final display (that seems very strange to me).  When you go into Device Manager and see the two display adapters, of you rightclick each and choose PROPERTIES>DRIVER it should give you the driver dates, what are the dates given for the driver, is it the same driver date for both? Since both devices are showing it is possible you have the correct driver at least.  On display adapter with the two devices, I am curious whether you can right-click / disable the Intel adapter, although if it is true as HP says that the intel is ALWAYS used to render the final screen, that may not be something you want to try.  Its also probably still worth trying the Nvidia site drivers. I would set a System Restore Point first in case you need to restore to the last working restore point. Also see this video on how to manually install the drivers if (as expected) NVidia tells you they cannot let you install theirs. But I would set that restore point first and then proceed with some caution. . 

On some pages I have read with Optimus, if you RIGHT CLICK the application shortcut you would get an option to "run as administrator" and ALSO to  "run with High Performance Nvidia gpu" (that may not be the exact wording.

run-with-graphics-processor-optimus.png

You'd have to do this every time you launch the game. Does your Wurm shortcut offer these choices? If you do not have a shortcut on the desktop for Wurm, this thread explains how to make one  (the last post only works for UNSTABLE client but it might be worth installing Unstable Client just for this if you are unable to make a shortcut another way.  I believe I manually created a shortcut using the windows "create shortcut" submenu then using as target the line C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

I'd also suggest reading through this page, 

HTG Explains: What You Need to Know About NVIDIA Optimus

It may not help much though if HP uses a proprietary system that is unique somehow. The problem with Optimus and Java games is, Optimus assumes it is an office/home application and switches to the Intel (which is what causes the deformed animations and the terrain glitches)  Usually there is a way to toggle it so that anytime javaws.exe runs (the java launcher), it switches to NVidia and stays there. But I am confused when HP says their Envy17 laptops always use the intel to render to screens, and the nvidia only does background processing.

I upgraded to a digital flat panel monitor and this has been going on since. I had reported it before and never could find out why. When I put Wurm back on the non-digital, no issues. It only happens in Wurm though. I don't think it's a Wurm issue. I think it's something in the last Java itself.

EDIT: And right as I said that, my video card crashed Windows. LOL I think I found my problem. Good luck with yours!

Edited by Audrel