Sign in to follow this  
Chakron

Announcing Niarja Skill Compare

Hi Everyone! I'm Chakron, developer of the website Niarja.com which parses every tweet sent out by the Wurm Online twitter accounts and displays them in a useful, searchable interface. Today I launched Niarja Skill Compare - this thread will detail what it's all about, but why wait? Take a look at what it does right now.

------

Niarja Skill Compare

What do you do when you want to share your skills with friends, or sell your character? You take a skill dump. And boy, skill dumps are ugly. Wurm Online has 140 skills and a skill dump is just a line-by-line list of every skill you have. Wurm skills aren't even in a particularly useful order. People have developed skill highlighting applications just to make some sense out of them. Even now it's hard - you're basically looking a new skill dump every time you see one. You have no idea what order things appear it, what skills will be highlighted (or how), or what the format of the dump will even be.

Niarja Skill Compare solves all of that. Here's my character sheet. Character sheets show off your skills in a consistent format. They also show what you're best at, and let you compare your skills to the rest of the Wurm world. They even let you track your skillgain progress! For example, let's click on my digging skill and take a look:

woguky3.png

Clicking on my Digging skill has shown that on Freedom Cluster, I am the #1 Digger who has publicly shared their skills! And that's pretty great...but I'm also the only person currently on Niarja Skill Compare, so I doubt that'll last. You also see a graph right below. I've uploaded three skill dumps and Niarja Skill Compare has created that graph for me to check my skill progress. After you've uploaded more than one skill dump you can click on any skill and start seeing that.

Looks Cool! I don't want to share my data with everyone!

You don't have to! After registering an account, you get to decide if your data is public (shared with everyone), or private. When your character data is public you'll be able to compare your skills to other players. When your character data is private you're not allowed to do that, but you gain the ability to keep your information to yourself. But don't worry - you have a code you can give out to your friends if you want to share your data to select individuals.

I Play on Freedom and Epic, will this break?

Nope! Your character maintains separate skill sets for the Freedom and Epic clusters. You can even toggle privacy separately. For example, you can have a public Freedom Cluster skill dump and a private Epic Cluster skill dump, all for the same character!

Can I use this to help sell a character?

Easily. You're able to post public characters to the "For Sale" area. Just give us a link to your thread in For Sale or Auctions and we'll feature your character sale right on the front page, giving your potential buyers an easy way to check out your skills.

Look at the Best and Compare with Others!

On the main page of Niarja Skill Compare, you can view the top and most active players. You can also search to see the top players in a particular skill (but only the ones who have shared their data publicly!). You can even search for specific players.

------

There are still some rough areas, but I think I've got the bugs mostly worked out. This should work pretty well (but not VERY well) on your phone or tablet, too. Let me know if you run into any problems, because I'd love to fix those as quickly as possible. If you've got any ideas, post them here or better yet, head on over to my thread in the Toolbelt. Thanks!

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 33

First impression... awesome!!! I will play a bit with it later. But looks like very nice overview of skills and their increases. :)

A bunch of private skill dumps have already been uploaded. Which means I'm still the #1 Digger in Wurm!

Edit: Already received some important feedback. It looks like I'm rounding at 3-4 decimal points. Some people with close to 100 skill (but not quite there yet) are seeing a problem with that. Over the next day or so I'll make sure it shows the maximum number of decimal points possible.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 2

I love the Niarja site!  Very comprehensive and user friendly.  Nice to see the new additions.

• Like 1

Hey Folks - there's a problem that occurs when you try to upload an older skill dump. If you see Niarja call out bad lines starting with "Skills" or "Religion", don't worry about it - I'm on it.

Edit: This is resolved. Let me know if you run into anything similar. Some skill dumps (like those with the old name for "Animal Handling") might still work incorrectly - I'll deal with those on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 1

Very good tool! :)

Did you thought about small desktop tool which is listening to skill ticks and then automatically uploads them in regular intervals? This could be very good way to track characters progress. :)

Also, how about skill points counter which takes actual level of skills into account, so - for example - one 90 level skill is "worth" much more than two 50 level skills?

• Like 1

Very good tool! :)

Did you thought about small desktop tool which is listening to skill ticks and then automatically uploads them in regular intervals? This could be very good way to track characters progress. :)

Also, how about skill points counter which takes actual level of skills into account, so - for example - one 90 level skill is "worth" much more than two 50 level skills?

I'm not very interested in development standalone apps. I think Yaga's program is a perfect solution to in-depth skill tracking over time. A standalone app involves more work and support :)

"Skill Points" is also a pretty early concept. I'll probably come up with something better :)

• Like 1

When your character is private, then there is no way to see total skill points(at least i didn't find it). Would be great to see that number on characters skill sheet too even when it is private.

• Like 1

Last night, I was thinking about WOS and was hoping a new version of it was being made.

Thanks, OP!!!  :D

A friend caught a bug where old skill dump uploads would take the place of your "Most Recent" skills. Oops! I just fixed that. If that caused any serious issues for you, please delete your data and try again. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

When your character is private, then there is no way to see total skill points(at least i didn't find it). Would be great to see that number on characters skill sheet too even when it is private.

Yeah i like this idea.. like just get the skill points number

Nice website. However old skill dumps don't really work, had to make new one.

Sure, I just added that. It'll show up in a minute. It's not the most beautiful thing but I don't know how long-term the "Skill Points" concept will be. Hopefully it'll end up somewhere better.

Nice website. However old skill dumps don't really work, had to make new one.

I can put some code in place to handle that. PM me your old skill dump and we can try to work out what's going wrong, if you'd like.

• Like 1

Error: Your Skill Dump was in an unexpected format. - Keep getting this..

Yep, I just broke something while fixing something else. I'm a real professional. Getting out a fix now.

• Like 1

Well no need anymore, it takes minute or two to get new one.

I suggest making average skill points (average player) row under top players.

EDIT:

Also would be great that if you click on skill it would take you to top50.

Edited by Martynas5

Well no need anymore, it takes minute or two to get new one.

I suggest making average skill points (average player) row under top players.

Yeah, but cannot log in atm.. so :D

• Like 4

Error: Your Skill Dump was in an unexpected format. - Keep getting this..

This is fixed. Let me know if you see it again somehow.

• Like 1

This is fixed. Let me know if you see it again somehow.

Worked now!

Question. If a char is 12th Overall in a skill.. does it mean the overall takes private accounts into consideration also? Or is this Epic/freedom together. (shows 0 chars on Epic and only like 5-6 on freedom). Also if it uses the private accounts, does it change if a private account data gets deleted?