Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Bulk Storage Overhaul

(Some) problems with current bulk storage:

1. Need multiple containers for every type of storage, to sort QLs.

2. Because of #1, we have container clutter.

3. Because of #2, it is a nightmare trying to keep our craft shops organized - we build ships and wagons in them and make tons of suggestion posts for crate racks and Storage vaults.

4. Can't store fish!

5. Can't more more than your personal inventory when dragging out of it to another container.

Possible solution - New storage container that:

1. Auto combines and groups items (like now), but does it in 5QL increments, so I can have QL95, QL90... QL5 iron, all in the same container

2. Holds all the material we can throw at it.

3. Doesn't have an image change when more than half full, because there is no longer a max full or half full point.  Does show different if empty though, like crates.

4. Can hold metal or food or even FISH. Eliminate the BSB vs FSB needs.

5. Can drag from container to container at much higher volumes than personal inventory allows.  Maybe 1000?  I think that is still within the safe range to prevent a server crash?

6. Can be created in 3-4 different styles, for decorating purposes, which can be changed with a hammer or pliers.  This lets you keep a theme of different container look for a different purpose, but functionally the same for each visual model.

Why do this change?

It makes our lives a whole lot easier, when planning craft shops, kitchens and farms.  It makes server load a whole lot less.  It makes client performance much better, when entering local of a deed that normally had 200+ bulk containers to render.  Make the new containers take a ton of planks and nails if you want, but let's get rid of unsightly clutter.

On the old servers, when you run across an old collapsed deed, what do you always find? 10+ BSBs of rocks, wood scrap, dirt and low QL crap.

• Like 4

Yeah, +1, but what will I do with all the free space around the deed? :D

Maybe actually decorate it so it looks nice, as opposed to a warehouse.

• Like 1

:) Nice one. Also make boats, carts, horses and players move at unlimited speed carrying unlimited weight.

Just kidding, it's a good idea but you exaggerated with unlimited capacity ;)

Edited by Hula_Girl

:) Nice one. Also make boats, carts, horses and players move at unlimited speed carrying unlimited weight.

Just kidding, it's a good idea but you exaggerated with unlimited capacity ;)

I really contemplated this and ultimately decided we would always have bulk messes if we didn't go unlimited on capacity.  Now we just need one container at each craft or gather station.  Like asdf says, now we can start decorating rooms to look nice and not have every room a warehouse.  We all have our tricks to try making it less cluttered.  I like to stuff my BSBs under my forges, with just the grain bags sticking out for selection.  But we also run into "there is too much stuff here, so no putting anymore things here" and this should help reduce that considerably.

Next stop:  "Non-bulk storage, breaking the 100 barrier!"

I like the idea of self sorting bulk bins but I also think bulk storage and warehouses should require some space. Perhaps they could make an immobile vehicle that looks like a storage unit or part of a warehouse. When you embark it you can load a bunch of crates into it.

What you could do is build more levels in your house and use only floor openings then put crates or bsbs on the upper levels.

Edited by Tsetse

I like the idea of self sorting bulk bins but I also think bulk storage and warehouses should require some space. Perhaps they could make an immobile vehicle that looks like a storage unit or part of a warehouse. When you embark it you can load a bunch of crates into it.

What you could do is build more levels in your house and use only floor openings then put crates or bsbs on the upper levels.

I do some of this already.  Just so much container management and extra objects for server and client to have process.  I know a lot of folks are against simplification, in favor of some realism, but when you see 50 BSB, all stacked overlapping each other, or on multiple floors that we can magically reach through, it seems the realistic effect is not really being achieved.

+1

Love the idea of it auto-grouping QL (in increments of 5 or even 10) - but think it would be pretty tricky to implement

But not in favour of the unlimited capacity. So yes.. perhaps you still need a few of them - but more likely to be used for different types of items as opposed to having lots for different QL brackets. (-1 for unlimited capacity)

+1

Love the idea of it auto-grouping QL (in increments of 5 or even 10) - but think it would be pretty tricky to implement

But not in favour of the unlimited capacity. So yes.. perhaps you still need a few of them - but more likely to be used for different types of items as opposed to having lots for different QL brackets. (-1 for unlimited capacity)

Well, the auto QL sorting/grouping would help eliminate quite a few Bulk Bins, but all those dirt, rock, logs and hides are going to quickly fill any bin, if the capacity isn't cranked way up.  So we would all still have 20.. 50... hundred(?) low QL bins and then a lone (or a few) higher QL for auto sorting the rest.

In my opinion that should be quite simple to implement. Rounding the quality by 5 or 10 is trivial, and the bins already store the information about item type and quality, so it would only require relaxing some constraints (multiple items of same type in bin) and changing the bin tree layout (nodes at item types) in display window.

However, I think that should be a separate storage system. If you have 99ql item and put it in the bin, you don't want it to get rounded to 95ql.

Edited by Hula_Girl