Sign in to follow this  
archer

Multiply ships / carts / wagons decay (10 times!)

Before you comment please read my post till the end.

Can we please get rid off all those abandoned ships / carts / wagons? Can every ship, that hasn't been used for over 6 months (3 months? a year?) decay much faster (3x? 5x? 10x? 20x?)? Shouldn't be too hard to code. Just add a flag to every "vehicle" with single date of last embarking as a commander. Ships, that hasn't been embarked for longer than half year loosing this flag (same carts / wagons). Since January 2016 make every vehicle without flag to decay on multiplied rate (you can use in-game voting to choose multiplier).

Thank you for your attention.

I have lost two sailboats to decay (not at the same time, the second was a replacement for the first) despite the fact that I checked up on them regularly and repaired them. The reason why boats "never" decay is because it's so tempting to repair them when they give such good repair skill and people generally have their boats somewhere people can reach them. So, I'm not very fond of this idea to be honest. It seems harsh to introduce a new layer of annoyance to ships because of a problem concerning ships that may or may not be abandoned.

Aye good repair skill as the difficulty is over most, and there are plenty of players who may not be active for months at a time.

I suppose not allowing repairs from people not on certain permission levels.

Though, if the number of abandoned ever really becomes a glut on the databases, I'm sure the decay will get ramped up or some other measure.

Edited by Klaa

+1 Would really like abandoned ships to decay faster - have several cluttering up my harbour and pretty fed up with it!

-1 No. I have seen people come back after 18 months. Their boat was still there and they were extremely grateful that the thing they had spent so much time making was still around even though all the buildings they made had turned to dust. All they had to do was fix up the boat and away they go. WURM is something many come back to after long absences. Enough with the more decay stuff. 

• Like 1

-1 to tedium and to turning off possible returning players

in case you haven't seen a pvp server boatmine... we don't use all of them, and we don't have time to check and repair all of them

Accelerated decay may not be the answer but there is an answer.
+1 toward any solution.

I suspect the devs want ghost ships all over the place because it makes the server look more populated.

Edited by Steveleeb

+1, but both boats and carts should have decay texture when at 60 dmg or more.

as shipbuilder I should vote for much faster decay in vision of less saturated ship market -> my profit, but ...

- I'm not greedy

- I know Wurmians using ships as effective mega containers, often on higher storey, disembark (to reser abandoned flag) from such placed ship can easily lead to serious wounds

- a lot of us have carts that are used only occasionally, waiting in storages, when we will need them again

- fast decay on "abandoned" ships/cart could be easily abused to fast Repair skilling

-4 from me

lol
you said you're not greedy, then you grabbed 4 votes.

That made me laugh, ty

Clatius is spot on about returning players. A boat largely determines the mobility of said player. While everything else he had might have decayed, the boat allows him to set out and start over on a new spot, potentially far away, thus allowing for a fresher restart.

I also had a Cog decay on me once even though it was on my own deed. Sure I hadn't used it in a while, but I was certainly active at the time. When I finally did need it I noticed that it was no longer there, which was very annoying considering the amount of work which went into it..

so, -2

Instead I'd propose a different solution. The problem I see mentioned several times is abandoned ships sitting in people's harbors. So how about adding a new permission for mooring, enabling the owner of a harbor to prevent strangers from mooring their boats. Currents will then take care of the rest as the boat will either end up adrift or crash on the shore. In the latter case you could push it out of the way as it isn't moored. This doesn't solve the issue with existing boats, but it will prevent the issue from becoming even larger.

Edited by Ecrir

What I don't like about this suggestion is that it may be applied in a blanket fashion to everyone's carts, wagons and ships if they have not used them for a certain period of time. Or even in the more usual simple fashion of just increasing decay in general on these items.

Not sure what can be done to resolve this really. At least with carts I can drag them into an enclosed area on perimeter where no one can repair them and let them decay away gradually.

=Ayes=