Sign in to follow this  
SmeJack

Remove Gender Specific Spells or Add Option to Pick

Fairness and equality for all please!

Something that has been annoying me for a while now is the gender specific sorcery and frankly the females getting the worst of it.

Lets start with something like skeletons (male) and wraiths (female)

Skeletons can be spawned anytime anywhere and can result in 3-7 spawns, Wraiths are only 1 and can only be spawned in a cave or at night time and if they come out of the cave into daylight they will die instantly. Really? Skeletons are buggy yes but lets assume it isn't and focus on the equality of gender based spells.

Now we have Stone wall (male) and Ice wall (female)

These spells are different and would really make sense for the Ice wall to be paired with the Fire wall from the white tome assuming they do the same thing with different flavours rather than the Stone wall which now means females can never have this spell yet males can have a different version of the female one.

My favourite gear grinder is Continuum (male) and Mirrored self (female)

Continuum is a pretty nice spell that females can never ever have access to and instead are given a spell that not only doesn't even work effectively since the mirror images have a blue outline that isn't fooling anyone nor their dead straight movement. But even if it worked a little better its still pretty dull in comparison to something like Continuum.

The last one is Karma bolt (male) Forecast (female)

Im not really familiar with these two, much less the female one but again it seems like two completely different spells that cut one gender or the other out of ever being able to earn.

Ultimately it makes no sense to base things by gender and cut parts of the game off from people ever achieving, so even though I've brought this up before I'm now making an official thread to start the gender equality protest.

Please join me in voting for an equal playing field for all by liking this post and giving your +1 today!

• Like 69

Hmm +1, I have seen the spell list and I agree, there should be no difference in the abilities of someone who pvp's on the basis of gender.

+1 -  I dont mind having a different title as I do, but different spells would suck tbh and as Sme points out the female versions of the spells are not as good

Skeletons vs Wraiths:  I feel like the number of spawns is ok, because skeletons die in 1-2 hits and wraiths have the strength of a deed guard.  Kinda like how only one worg gets spawned.  Just need to remove the darkness only weirdness

Stone wall vs Ice wall:  Works out good to move ice wall to white tome, same effects and no other real changes

Continuum vs Mirrored self:  Clones are a neat idea that will pretty much never work in wum, unless you're mysteriously walking on foot in the woods, and spawn clones without anyone knowing or seeing, and the outlines are fixed and they don't look weird.  Considering the alternative is drastically different, there's no saving clones, make continuum male and female

Karma bolt vs Forecast:  As far as I'm aware karma bolt sucks (just like fireball and karma missile), but nobody knows what forecast is capable of so can't really judge it

Afaik ice wall is a reskinned stone wall, its just cosmetic. Neither forecast or karmabolt are any good, they're both horrible so who cares. Skeletons vs wraiths, wraiths should be allowed to go into daylight, night is just too short, but really skeletons are broken enough to warrent wraiths being just as broken.

The real disparity is continuum, its arguably the best sorcery spell vs one that pretty much does nothing. They could atleast balance it out by making your mirrored images act like phantasms.

edit: if we complain too much rolf will just nerf everything like he did with stone wall >_>

Edited by Csponge

All spells need tweaking and balancing but for the purpose of this thread id rather just keep it to balancing genders rather than actual spell tweaks....except mirrored self just remove that entirely and change out for continuum :P

maybe just upon using it you can select which spell you want 

Forecast says it lays traps around you when you cast it.

[20:47:04] You predict a grim future for *Player/Object* by placing deadly traps around him. 

Has a 30 second cast.

Edited by Darklords

+1

However, keep titles gender specific =). 

I wouldn't wanna be [Handyman]  vs.  [Handywoman] =P

• Like 2

+1 should be the same spells for both with different title.

Aye this isn't about titles and again it isn't about the spell tweaks and balancing (or bug fixing), I'd like to just focus on the gender equality in this thread and the exclusion of toons from spells based on being male or female.

• Like 1

+1 or ability to chose no mather avatar gender

+ 1 to same gender spells

Keep titles gender specific perhaps though

+1 to a full review/fix on spells 1/2 of them are broken or useless.

Rust monster is a perfect example it's useless for both PVE and PvP.

Also I though Ice Wall and Stone Wall are different spells from different items?

Stone wall and Ice wall are paired (male/female) from use of the Blue tome while Fire wall comes from the White tome

Broken or useless spells should be fixed.

Having a different spell set has nothing to do with sexism though.

• Like 4

Just like Depends just said... this has nothing to do with Sexism.

It's just an unbalancing in spells that needs to be fixed.

• Like 1

Unless it's cosmetic (titles, looks to worn clothing and armor and such), it shouldn't matter if you are male, female, animal, vegetable or mineral, the game should be equal for all players. Nobody should be penalized for the sex of their characters. The days of males having +1 Strength and the females having +1 charisma are long past in the general gaming industry. Wurm should not have spells and abilities that are sex dependent unless, as I said, it is purely cosmetic.

• Like 6

Aye if it was purely or close to being a cosmetic difference, it miiight be fine. Though, not a real fan of such balancing because it tends to rob things of real, practical uniqueness.

Personally I favor the having either ability as an option when one uses the item. Perhaps even have this capable of being overwritten by using the item again. One just cant keep BOTH abilities.

On a related note, aye the female ones could arguably use a boost.

EDIT: Clicked on this half-expecting some fun drama. Meh, dull. :P

Edited by Klaa

This is more a "Gender Balance" issue than a sexism one, I don't think Rolf and the developers are intentionally discriminating.

I completely agree that there should be gender balance, either by means of balancing the spells or making them accessible by all.

Most folk when picking their character at creation would probably have no idea what's in store for them this far down the line.  There's no indication of there being any difference at time of creation, and to be honest I can count on one hand the number of games where genders have different abilities (Borderlands).

• Like 2