Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Community Bridge Project in Southeast Deliverance

Now that we can build bridges it has finally become realistic to think about a direct connection of the southeast peninsula (called "Serendipity Peninsula" by its inhabitants) with the mainland.

Ever since the creation of Deli people in the southeast corner had to take a long and dangerous detour northward across the small steppe, past Lihue and Kaer Mohen and along the northern coast of the sound, then south again towards Pilgrim's Gate - just to reach Greendog or the big market places on the mainland. So, here is what we (the Serendipity Alliance) have in mind:

PRrdoTW.jpg

The strait between Other Side Village and a point north of Dunegard (as shown in the image) seems to be the best choice, as it is the narrowest part of the sound in that area. The place can be better seen on this more detailed small-scale map (taken from http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/54656-detailed-map-of-the-serendipity-bay-area/):

KtsVxYD.jpg

This will be an ambitious project: as the total distance to be covered is more than 300 meters we will have to build 3 bridge segments with tiny islands between them.

I decided to make this early announcement in order to present our plans to all neighbours affected, namely the owners of settlements around Otherside Village. Please tell me what you think about the project.

In case everyone agrees we will need all the help we can get. So: this could be a great community project. Please contact me or any member of the Serendipity Alliance (e.g. Glomby, Substr, LadyCygnet) by means of PM, either here or ingame.

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 7

Techassassin is in the alliance as well and owns St. George's Bay, but he hasn't had time to play for months due to work commitments, and I've been managing his deed for him and working on our plans for the area. We've got plenty of rock from our excavation projects, and there's plenty of clay nearby. We could use help making bricks and mortar, and if anyone in helping is skilled in metallurgy, mining, masonry, or smithing, even better (most of us are in the jack-of-all-trades range on those skills, and we want this bridge to be as high QL as possible, since it's meant to benefit everyone). 

Edited by LadyCygnet
  • Like 1

Hello!

i'm at Port Fortune, located in the NW of the image you posted.  it sounds like a good idea to me.  Let's hope everyone is on board with it.  i'll make sure my neighbors know about the project as well so they can voice their opinions

I can also lend support if needed

• Like 2

Hello!

i'm at Port Fortune, located in the NW of the image you posted.  it sounds like a good idea to me.  Let's hope everyone is on board with it.  i'll make sure my neighbors know about the project as well so they can voice their opinions

I can also lend support if needed

Thanks! Are you able to contact the mayor of "Otherside Village"? I was not successful so far. (Wasn't it Saraski, originally? He left the game, didn't he?)

• Like 1

Willing to help add bricks on and stuff when the plans get laid out

• Like 2

Thanks! Are you able to contact the mayor of "Otherside Village"? I was not successful so far. (Wasn't it Saraski, originally? He left the game, didn't he?)

Saraski comes back every 3 months to add upkeep to Otherside, He is due any day now.

Maybe making a bridge will relight his interest in Wurm  :)

I'm not playing consistently, at the moment, but will help where I can. Only decent skill I have is mining(90). My blacksmithing's low 80's BUT my neighbour  Eratosthenes has at least 10-15 points on me there. ( Gleefully throws Erat under a bus  :lol: ).

• Like 2

Thanks Lizabeth for the pm, yeah I'm due at end of the month to pay upkeep I believe maybe a bit earlier xD

As for the bridges I had hoped to return but I'm still a bit in the dark atm with me wanting to play, you guys however are free to build the bridge I have no problem with it, I dunno if I still have any materials or not though but if you guys require any boats I have many sailboats

Dunno if I still have any dirt though for help with your little islands, at worn atm but ill login and check when om back in like 5 hours

• Like 2

Thanks Lizabeth for the pm, yeah I'm due at end of the month to pay upkeep I believe maybe a bit earlier xD

As for the bridges I had hoped to return but I'm still a bit in the dark atm with me wanting to play, you guys however are free to build the bridge I have no problem with it, I dunno if I still have any materials or not though but if you guys require any boats I have many sailboats

Dunno if I still have any dirt though for help with your little islands, at worn atm but ill login and check when om back in like 5 hours

Thank you very much, Saraski! This is a relief - I must admit we were a bit worried you might not be happy with our idea. :) Now that we have your consent we will start making detailed plans (will post them here). That way every neighbour will have a voice in the project.

Thanks all for offering to help - we will certainly take you up on it :)

• Like 1

in all honesty I'm barely in the game anyhow, so it really wouldn't bother me and if I did return it's nice to cross over without swimming lol, also my bsb's are pretty much empty since i havent really played in like 2 years lol, lost a few boats to decay too but still got my corbita's anyhow, had 14 days upkeep so extended that to 98 for now, but yeah if you want to get ahold of me for anything as i may not check the thread, just pm me as im always checking my email xD

• Like 2

I'm at Swampland Heritage in the detailed picture there. When the deed is more or less finished I can help out with whatever. Not a whole lot in terms of skills but I'll help out wherever if possible.

• Like 2

Here is a plan update: We carefully scouted the area yesterday, checked the coast and counted water tiles. It turned out, that a north-south connection will be considerably shorter than an east-west connection. A bridge from east to west (as shown in the first plan) would be at least 290m long, while a nort-east one could be confined to about 210m (after a bit of terraforming and "landbridging"). So, after trying to determine the best end points, here is the latest plan:

JKD5QJH.jpg

Red line = bridge, Green area = new land, White lines = possible road connections.

On the east side the road connection will be unproblematic, as it only runs through undeeded land (including some disbanded villages). On the west side we will have to find out what is possible, because there may be a few deeds there. (We'll see to that later.)

In order to be able to build the longest possible bridge sections we will need a high-ql dioptra and a high-ql range pole (ours are pretty poor). Anyone who can help with those?

As for the materials: if we used the bridge calculator correctly, for a 22 tile arched stone bridge, we would need 1054 bricks, 224 rock shards, and 570 mortar. We will have to build at least 2 of those (maybe even a short third section), so the mats would amount to a total of approximately 2600 bricks, 550 shards and 1400 mortar. I think it can be done, but every donation would be welcome! :)

To mark the future end points we built two small 1x1 shacks (named "Southeast Deli Bridge Project Site"), one on each side of the sound. Finally, here are two screenshot impressions of the planned bridge:

3pIgIXm.jpg  vDhWs3w.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Looking (north)east...  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . Looking (north)west . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

Hi

I live a bit north of Root Hill Docks, so very close to the area, and I'm interested to help.

I have at the moment a ql53 ql66 dioptra and ql47 range pole, but I hope I can get them 70+ql today

By the way, I think 35 long bridges can be made with ql50+ dioptras

According to wiki, with a ql66 we can plan and survey a 27 tile long bridge

Edited by Turmoil
  • Like 2

This is a great project!  I am happy to help when the time comes to build it.

• Like 2

I can also contribute with mortar, rocks and bricks and 60-70 iron lamps ql50+

• Like 2

Made a tile map today:

QmEhaJ6.png

Orange = bridge segments, Green = new land, Red = Site shacks

To build those new landbridges we will need a lot of dirt. Can anybody help with that?

• Like 1

And why not changing the landbridges for real bridges with small 1 land tiles in between?

And why not changing the landbridges for real bridges with small 1 land tiles in between?

Yes, that's an option! :)

• Like 1

I love projects, will be happy to help out once you're ready to roll. 

• Like 2

We can subs the landbridges with flat bridges going from almost sea level to an elevated 1-2 tile island, then build archbridges that are really high.

That would be an impressive view

• Like 3

We can subs the landbridges with flat bridges going from almost sea level to an elevated 1-2 tile island, then build archbridges that are really high.

That would be an impressive view

I like the idea! We would have 2 small "ramp" bridges (east-west) at each end and the 2 main bridge segments (north-south) spanning the sound. Any suggestions as to the height of the main bridge? 20, 30 or even 40 dirts?

• Like 1

We can do a land ramp to 20 dirts on the beginning and put the main bridges at 40 dirts. I have some levelling pending in my deed so I can contribute with dirt, also

• Like 1

If you are doing bridges greater then 8 tiles in length your dirt landings will need to be 80 above water level.

8 tile or less brick/marble can be done with arches at 10 above water to start the bridge. Total clearance needs to be 20 above water, adding land and arch together.

5 tiles or less flat bridges can be made. I would think that you would need the 20 above water clearance if you want boats to travel under.

Wooden flat/arched bridges can be built at 60 above water level. Brick/Marble needs 80 height above water.

(I could be missing something in here there might be something else buildable at 60.)

• Like 3

Then maybe it will go faster to do a 16 dirt isle with a two floor building (32 dirt height each floor) on it and start/end central bridges on the buildings.

We'll need 3 of that island/building on top, to create the four buildings, and maybe a one floor building on the main land for accounting the height difference

I'm viewing it on my mind and can be an impressive feat

Edited by Turmoil
  • Like 1