Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Strange 'pixelated' text on Windows [Resolved]

*SOLVED* I had been mounting my monitor to a new multi-monitor stand and it seems I accidentally pressed a button on my monitor, enabling super-resolution. Undoing this fixed my problem. Thanks for the help Brash.

The text on my desktop/browser/everywhere has become distorted.

I was messing around with Nvidia control panel settings for a different game and I think that may have caused the issue. I've since undone all the changes I made, however the problem persists.

The text looks like this:

a29ab4.png

Seemingly white pixels around the edge of the text that should not be there.

Desktop icons and images don't seem to be affected, or at least it isn't as noticeable.

The settings I was messing around with was upscaling and AA. I was only editing the settings for that specific program however and this text issue appears to be widespread, not just in that game so it may not be the cause. I've removed all upscaling/AA from global settings although no fix.

I've also downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers.

I'm running at GTX780, never had any issues with it before this.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Random Things To Try:

1) At START>RUN type CLEAR  then ADJUST CLEAR TYPE TEXT and see if adjusting that helps

2) As a test,   try creating a new "windows login user" and see whether that windows user login has the same issues.

3)  Nvidia Control Panel.> Manage 3D Settings.> upper-right corner, click Restore Defaults.

4) If you have not already tried it, also try restarting the computer  (my default solution whenever my computer has flummoxed me)

Some random things from GOOGLE:

*** "Had the same issue here.  It seemed to happen after customizing the display settings - Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display.  After resetting back to default at 100%, voila - pixelation problem solved."  << (I think they mean the TEXT SIZE option)

*** "I'm not sure if it will work for you, but it did for me:  try this -  

1. open one of the MS Office apps (word, outlook)
2. leaving the application open, right click on the desktop and pick one of the standard themes.  
when I did this my icons within Word returned to normal.  "

*** correcting blurry text in windows 8

*** How to fix the pixelated look in Win7 (with NVIDIA)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Tried everything, no fixes.

The text on my screen looks fine for the most part, images seem to be unaffected.

The only issue is it has what looks like a sort of outline in white pixels around my text. It makes some text very hard to read and is starting to give me a headache too :P

I tried increasing my font size as one of the links suggested. Larger, bolder fonts are much less affected than smaller, thinner text.

Edited by Outlaw

One other thing you could check:  Under CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > ADVANCED PROPERTIES > PERFORMANCE > VISUAL EFFECTS

visualeffects.png\\

Try comparing "Adjust for best appearance"  versus "Adjust for best performance"     (I usually prefer the second one -performance- as some of the 'visual effects' for -appearance-are a little glitchy)

If switching back and forth between those two makes no difference, try also the checkbox "smooth edges of screen fonts"  and see if it makes any difference.

Tried that myself before hand, although tried going through each one individually now too...

Still no luck. :(