Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

A Guide to Breeding

Just wanna say as fellow breeder  GIVE US MORE ANIMALS ! 8D

Not sure but prob mentioned for each 10 in AH skills you get one trait

Just wanna say as fellow breeder  GIVE US MORE ANIMALS ! 8D

Not sure but prob mentioned for each 10 in AH skills you get one trait

Is that confirmed? Because I have very low AH and have gotten a couple of very good foals (4- or 5 speeders) at 15 AH. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is that confirmed? Because I have very low AH and have gotten a couple of very good foals (4- or 5 speeders) at 15 AH. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

If both of the parents had the traits there is a strong chance they will pass those traits onward - I have had it happen while at low AH as well.

I think so I get 7 traits a horses at 70 skill 6 at 60 and hoping get 8 now soon

I think so I get 7 traits a horses at 70 skill 6 at 60 and hoping get 8 now soon

Nice, I stopped grinding mine around 65. Making me reconsider going back at it again.

A very nice guide. I personally have nothing to add. Thank you very much for taking the time for this. Might help me when I breed myself in the future.

If you find you need help with that, please feel free to give me a call... I will do my best to help you out!

Sorry... couldn't resist!

in the animal husbandry section i recommend since your on epic that you add the fact you do see the traits based off skill curve, and not the actual skill

you also might want to add to the breeding section that if you start with 8 trait horses that your breeding skill plays a factor in breeding the traits, but you can get more traits out of the horses you breed at a random rate and if your lucky can also breed an 8 trait horse regardless of your breeding skill it is rare to get the max usually a lower level ah breeder will typically get 3-6 traits doing it this way.

also grooming animals at a constant rate gives the chance to reduce the amount of time a female is pregnant, so say you started at 10 days if u are the type to groom every hour like u can to grind skill up you potentially increase your chances of having that female jump from 10 to 8 in a single gap reducing the time it takes to have a birth.( note: this is not guaranteed also i am not sure if it will work continuously on the same animal, but i have personally tested this and it does work occasionally.)

for those who want to groom pigs i know that was not mentioned in the list of animals to breed, but they are good for raising shield bashing and shield skill when first starting to level them, also not a bad way to raise taunt...a pregnant pig eats alot of food in the meat catagory...usually they will go thru about 100-200 filets in a short period of time.

while breeding i also recommend that you keep your animals organized for the inbred issue that could accur as mentioned above, keeping the male and female as a pair in a 1x2 tile pen is best thing to do especially if starting with wild no name animals.

you should also add an aggressive breeding post, making sure to mention that villages have to be set to not attack non aggressive, and that breeding them can be dangerous depending on ur combat skill and taming skill since one of the aggressive animals have to be tamed, i recommend keeping the pairs separate, but have there pens joined with a gate between them, that way ur able to tame one without the other attacking you also, allowing u to recover and then proceed to breed the aggressive animals with the one you tamed. keep in mind if you are carrying a wep at all you will end up injuring one of them and could fail in breeding because of it, also keep in mind that the animal you tamed will probably be attacked by the one your trying to breed with that is aggressive.

i hope these things will help add to your guide also feel free to fix all my grammar and spelling errors and to put it in so it makes better sense, i just thru up a rough draft of ideas that i don't think i seen in the above guide.

Edited by eldarian

Dont do aggressive breeding but couldnt two toons tame 1 each aggressive and then breed them? 

i am not sure if you can breed if both are tamed, since one would be interactive with one account and the other interactive with another, i have never tried myself to test this maybe ill do that next, just never had any reason too.

also please add this to the agressive breeding section: 

• Breeding female animals with conditions such as Champion will provide a chance that the offspring will also have that characteristic. This chance is dramatically increased when breeding two animals with the same condition together. (Two Champions for example.)

You should add a note on ratio. Breeding offdeed or in a low-ratio deed is going to result in miscarriage (and likely death), and a lot of newer players won't have any idea why their horses (etc) keep dropping dead.

• Like 1

while breeding i also recommend that you keep your animals organized for the inbred issue that could accur as mentioned above, keeping the male and female as a pair in a 1x2 tile pen is best thing to do especially if starting with wild no name animals.

I would suggest that a 2 x2 pen would be minimum, as it would allow space for mum, dad and foal.  Also overcrowding leads to disease, even if the ratio is good.

Updated this with some recent changes. Let me know if I missed anything!

On 5/30/2015 at 2:33 PM, squirrels said:

Dont do aggressive breeding but couldnt two toons tame 1 each aggressive and then breed them? 

This is what I did recently. I had two champ wild cats, so I tamed one with Ostentatio, the other with Circe, then breeded them.

They were on-deed and may have also been branded at the time; I'm not sure.

EDIT: The OP still mentions that you can avoid inbreeding by killing off the parents, which has been confirmed by developers as false.

EDIT 2: Just realized I had responded to a post from 2015. Nice.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

EDIT: The OP still mentions that you can avoid inbreeding by killing off the parents, which has been confirmed by developers as false.

This worked for me when I was breeding horses for my entire kingdom on epic for over a year. This was either changed or the 'developer' was wrong.

as well as for a deed I had on freedom.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

EDIT 2: Just realized I had responded to a post from 2015. Nice.

That was like 2 years ago!

Thanks for the changes! 

I'll implement them throughout the day. I edited the post to go with the recent changes I found, so the post may be from 2015 but updated 2017 :)

• Like 1

On 17/05/2015 at 4:50 AM, Yldrania said:

The typical breeding pens are 1x2 tiles big, and contain 1-2 animals per pen. The fewer animals you have in one pen, the lower the chance of disease. The best thing to do in order to keep them all fed, is to plant seeds on flat ground tiles, creating fields. Animals will feed off of it, and even help your fields gain yield if there are not too many animals on the same field tile. That way you gain animals, and some crops, and keep your animals fat at the same time.

The best sized animal pen, particularly a breeding pair, is a 2 x 2.  Even then, with enchanted grass or crops, you may get the occasional packed dirt tile.   Some breeders prefer enchanted grass, keeping crop farming and animals separate, but other breeders prefer crops and - it has been said: that having animals "graze" on crop tiles, can slow the growth of crops and thereby increase the yield.   Sometimes not moving a young animal out from a parents' pen fairly quickly, can lead to it becoming diseased, even when the ratio is "a good figure". 

On 30/05/2015 at 10:17 PM, Mayrin said:

You should add a note on ratio. Breeding offdeed or in a low-ratio deed is going to result in miscarriage (and likely death), and a lot of newer players won't have any idea why their horses (etc) keep dropping dead.

When I first started in this game, I had difficulty understanding what the "ratio" was - clarification of this could be something along the lines of this:

Ratio:  When examining settlement information, you will see something along the lines of this:

"The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 20.2631259.  Optimal is 15.0 or more.  This is a good figure."

Ratio means that overall on the deed there are "xx" (20 in above example) tiles per animal (this includes all animals on deed, penned or otherwise, hens and chickens included.  Anything over the optimal minimum 15, i.e. 15 tiles on average per animal, is a "good figure", meaning less chance of disease, miscarriage and unexplained death.  It is therefore worthwhile checking the ratio on the deed regularly, especially when starting a breeding phase - as a few older or not so desirable animals may need to be culled or set free off deed, to make "space" for the new expected arrivals.

I never did like chasing cows or horses for that matter because they wanted to move.  I use single tiles for breeding and holding.  2 males in each tile and only 1 female.  I have gates on all sides for ease of movement.  I do use enchanted grass now but before they were enchanted it was crops.  I do not have many issues besides the random this enchanted tile shouldn't be enchanted anymore.  The tiles turn to grass instead of packed.  This is because the animals can't move on the tiles.   The only time i used 2x1 pens for a female is when I was breeding aggros.  This gave me room to maneuver when I was trying to get the baby out of the pen.

Has worked for me for a while and I know it works for others as well.  It may not be pretty but it does work.

I'm going to stick with the 1x2 tile breeding pens, but add that 2x2 is preferred by some. I prefer 1x2 since I don't put too many animals into one pen at a time and I rarely ever get a packed dirt tile at all.  

Will add the ratio explanation.

I generally kept my horses in 1x1 pens, 1 pen will have 2 males and the other 9 will have 1 female each, I'll have up to about 4 sets of these pens which helps a ton to avoid inbreeding with a little bit of shuffling as I grow my stock.

enchanted grass is pretty much required for this though.

However this was a long time ago. Now with saddles, I'd probably just put all my breeding horses in 1 large pen and have them all stand on their own tile and avoid having to deal with individual fences/gates for each horse.

and then just move the foals to another pen as they pop out.

edit: A screenshot of an old setup:

Spoiler

r6Wpn4f.jpg

Edited by Tryfaen

10 hours ago, Baloo said:

Ratio means that overall on the deed there are "xx" (20 in above example) tiles per animal (this includes all animals on deed, penned or otherwise, hens and chickens included.

And this includes any hostile mobs that wander onto deed tiles, either on the surface or underground

On 26/05/2015 at 10:51 AM, Ghoost said:

for each 10 in AH skills you get one trait

This is our experience too. In fact, with 70 AH, when we moved to Xanadu many of our bred horses (from wild) came out with 7 bad traits! If we breed 5 speeds (with no extra traits) then they will likely come out as 5 speed with 2 extra traits, and by probability those will likely be bad ones.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2015 at 1:39 PM, eldarian said:

i am not sure if you can breed if both are tamed, since one would be interactive with one account and the other interactive with another, i have never tried myself to test this maybe ill do that next, just never had any reason too.

also please add this to the agressive breeding section: 

• Breeding female animals with conditions such as Champion will provide a chance that the offspring will also have that characteristic. This chance is dramatically increased when breeding two animals with the same condition together. (Two Champions for example.)

For champion deer, I found it easier to tame 1, put it in a 1x1 pen, untame it, then tame either the male or female ( champion ), move that one into a 1x1 pen and then breed them, if solo breeding x2 champion deer it made it tons easier for me.  They still move all around that 1x1 tile pen, but I was able to stay in range for breeding purposes.