Sign in to follow this  
Bloodscythe

New small boat that can load a crate or two

There has seemed to be something missing in between a sailboat and a corbita or larger.  I'd love for there to be another boat that holds as many passengers as a sailboat yet can load a crate or two or a crate and a forge so that people can travel with some reasonable resources yet have  lower ship building skill enough to craft for low mid tier skill sets in ship building.  The boat could be slightly slower  speed than a sailboat with the same clearance , a flat bottom making it a fair trade off of benefits and compromise

Often I want to take a few toons to a unique hunt on another server or go visit a friend with a few characters and supplies to craft while I'm there.  There is a big jump between a sailboat and corbita and I think this middle boat concept would be hugely popular.  some sort of  Chinese Junk Ship petite version.  I realize another boat means another texture in the game yet I do think this would fill a gap and far out weigh the negative with a benefit in the load ability of a crate and forge.

llc9oxk.jpg

nXIkoSm.jpg

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 13

isnt this about the size of a corbita?

+1

Should be a ship that has the same cargo size like a large cart. A bit slower than the sailboat and everything else the same.

• Like 5

+1

Should be a ship that has the same cargo size like a large cart. A bit slower than the sailboat and everything else the same.

Exactly this is what i had in mind yet didn't articulate

+1

Let's not call it a "junk" though *immature laugh*

• Like 1

+1 Good idea :)

Just not "Chinese Junk Ship" pretty please!

Edited by Evening

+1

Ship with the same passenger , cargo capacity of a Large Cart would great.

Ability to maneuver by rowing even in strong winds, maybe  furl sails would be even better.

And/or 6 large crate 6 crew, give or take speed behaviour of a knarr.

+1

Ship with the same passenger , cargo capacity of a Large Cart would great.

Ability to maneuver by rowing even in strong winds, maybe  furl sails would be even better.

I'd absolutely love the ability to furl sails. All too often when coming in to Port with larger ships, the wind is at my back and then rocket forward beaching the boat when trying to time the anchor to which needs GM intervention if you beach and anchor as you can't board to raise the anchor there after.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 3

+1 Good idea :)

Just not "Chinese Junk Ship" pretty please!

Agreed, using the name as reference pictorially, as well as merely a petite version of it.

That is a pretty looking boat Bloodscythe but I favor a simpler solution along the lines of your suggestion. Just make a rowboat able to hold 1 small crate and a sailboat 1 large one. Already have the existing boats, just need to add some minor crate carrying capacity to them.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

That is a pretty looking boat Bloodscythe but I favor a simpler solution along the lines of your suggestion. Just make a rowboat able to hold 1 small crate and a sailboat 1 large one. Already have the existing boats, just need to add some minor crate carrying capacity to them.

+1^^

One or two crates would rock to be honest.

Would allow for most projects.

The Botter would be a good model for this type of ship.  Slightly larger than a standard sail boat with some 'storage'.  I just love what you can find from Google Images these days.   :D

06-29-rd_28.jpg

Edited by Dorian
  • Like 3

Been working on a boat tunnel and I just thought about this kind of idea as well.

A type of small cargo boat needs to exist, but to fill its role some concessions should be made.

• Make it very similar to a small sailing boat in terms of materials and model size.
  • Give it the same cargo space as the large cart.
  • Max the speed out at ~20km/h; its a cargo hauler not a speed boat.
  • Limit it to only being able to have 1 passengers + captain; specialize it for cargo and leave people transport to the small sailing boats.
  • Like 6

Been working on a boat tunnel and I just thought about this kind of idea as well.

A type of small cargo boat needs to exist, but to fill its role some concessions should be made.

• Make it very similar to a small sailing boat in terms of materials and model size.

Give it the same cargo space as the large cart.

Max the speed out at ~20km/h; its a cargo hauler not a speed boat.

Limit it to only being able to have 1 passengers + captain; specialize it for cargo and leave people transport to the small sailing boats.

couldn't have said it better, this make a quite perfect compromise and reasonable so all other boats still have their role and use while also giving great value to this boat as well.

• Like 1

I think limited crew and a larger cargo area would work I would not make it  faster than a sailboat.

• Like 1

In addition  to the OP suggestion -- a poor man's version

Update the current RAFTS:

• You can now embark and steer a RAFT. It holds only ONE person
  • Cargo capacity is increased, instead of a small cart capacity (like a rowboat) it holds a LARGE cart capacity
  • It is 85% speed of a rowboat
  • Non premiums can use
  • You must EQUIP AN OAR in weapon slot (two handed) to power/steer a raft.
  • YOu are able to carry an empty raft from your house to the water (weighs 80 pounds if I recall) so it benefits people without port access
  • Need to be able to add a padlock and get same MANAGE menu as a rowboat. 
  • No anchors. Push/pull/drag ashore to keep the current from setting it adrift. 

Rafts are not so useful now due to CRATES and this would make them again useful.

hsd0LXO.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4