Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 19

week19.jpg?dl=1

Hey everyone!

With another week comes more news. Once again, the devs have been hard at work on the finishing touches for our Spring Update. They're happy that the bridges are over 90ql, and we can now confirm a release date of what might be Wurm's most awaited feature ever. It has been a lot of planning and hard work to get bridges to where they now are - but we hope that the tradeoff will be a truly groundbreaking new feature that will open up a world of possibilities for you, the player!

We will be releasing the Spring Update next week, on Tuesday 12th May. We don't have a specific time set, but will aim to release as soon as we can on the day.

Bridges

The first and main feature of the update will be bridges. The feature will be released in full, allowing for all kinds of creativity... ranging from bridges across water and valleys to bridges between buildings, in four flavours: rope, wood, stone and marble.

Bridge1.jpg?dl=1

In addition, much of the focus of the past few weeks has been on making bridges as reliable as possible. Hoardes of bugs have been addressed and fixed, including possible cart/mount access issues and enabling pillar spells to work correctly when cast on bridges.

Bridge2.jpg?dl=1

Exciting stuff, hey? We can't wait to see what amazing bridges the community makes! If you're curious about how they'll work, then there's already a wiki article on the feature, and Mamadarkness also made a handy materials calculator

Boats

We are also releasing a couple of other features in the release, the first of which is the new boat models. The boats themselves will go unchanged, but all boat types will get updated models.

Boats1.jpg?dl=1

As with a number of newer models introduced to the game, individual wood types will not be displayed by the new textures, since they would use up too many client resources. However, we have looked into the possibility of adding a masking system, that would allow for wood types to be displayed on the newer models. It's not currently scheduled for development, but is always an option in the future.

Stairs

The last part of the update will be stairs. Made possible by improvements to the game's collision system for bridges, the stairs can be walked up and down without the need to click them (as with ladders.) They'll make movement around houses more natural, and also make for yet another design option!

Stairs.jpg?dl=1

Assistant Head GMs

After a lengthy investigation, Ladywoe, Pomona and Timur were found guilty of conspiring to improve Wurm's moderation. Head GM Enki sentenced them to a promotion to the new rank of Assistant Head GM, to forever help with management of the moderation team. Congratulations!

The AHGMs will primarily help to share the workload of Enki, and improve moderation team management and service.

Map Dumps

Lastly, we have our final three mapdumps to release this week, of the Epic home servers: AfflictionDesertion and Serenity.

You can find the rest of the map dumps in our official map dump thread.

Screenshot of the Week

This week's screenshot comes from Hashirama, at the entrance to his deed on Deliverance.

Screenshot.jpg?dl=1

That concludes this week's news. Excited? Join us next Tuesday for the release of the biggest single feature since multi-storey housing!

Until next time...

Happy Wurming!

PS: Many thanks to PRA Docterchese for writing this week's news while I had a very busy General Election week!

• Like 47

Hurray!  Nice work team, I'm really looking forward to this update.

• Like 1

We will be releasing the Spring Update next week, on Tuesday 12th May. We don't have a specific time set, but will aim to release as soon as we can on the day.

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

Edited by WesncIsMe
  • Like 20

Awesome update! I'm super excited about stairs, almost more than I am about bridges, lol.

I think this update will be the second most important update in the game since the multistorey update and the new animations made early 2013, great work , maybe this update would bring more players to Wurm Online :D .

• Like 2

Advertise this well and you might get some new people to play the game!!

• Like 1

Neat...

Only detail.. the sail on the knarr really looks silly... really really silly.

• Like 1

what about ladder/floor rotation is that not part of the update?  

• Like 1

PS: Many thanks to PRA Docterchese for writing this week's news while I had a very busy General Election week!

Wossoo hasn't slept for around 38 hours and counting. :P

• Like 1

So much stuff, best news ever :o

• Like 1

Wohooooooooooooooooooooo, my deed is on screenshot of the week. I am so happy, i would like to thank my dog, and my dragon hota statue, and my deed,etc etc :D

Above all, sanrina who made this beautiful deed and gave it to me! :)

Edited by Hashirama
  • Like 10

No PvE masks? *sheds a tear*

Come on Wurm, I know you got those pretty plain white masks done.

Really happy about staircases I tried them on the test server and they work great.

• Like 2

I have said this in a few threads now but don't forget to plant grass under your bridges before you plan/build them because you can not after they are done. (unless they change that before release) 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

So if i am to understand, the boats will have same texture, but, say if  I have a painted knarr, will that maintain its color?

aside from that I am pumped, good job guys

• Like 1

Can carts be driven up/down staircases?

One of the best news posts ever in terms of content!   :)

Now lets hope that Xanadu holds together so we can enjoy the new content... 

Edited by Torgrim

I hope the new sailboat isnt like the old one, the sail literally blocked your view completely...

• Like 1

So if i am to understand, the boats will have same texture, but, say if  I have a painted knarr, will that maintain its color?

I *think* (but don't quote me on this) that it will retain colour, but I'm only assuming that since other new models do.

• Like 3

wonderful!   we shall see one way or the other,  tyty