Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

Official Mapdumps

In April 2015, we created new official mapdumps of all servers. They can be viewed here in a GMAP-style interface, which gives fast load times even of large maps. You can also download them there for offline/community map use too.

Thanks go to maximusi for the site and hosting, and MamaDarkness for getting the maps ready to host.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 16

Wait nevermind it's working now; uploading at 10MB/s :)

• Like 1

I had to reset trackers before it decided to start. Remember to seed :D

Here is direct download for all the files directly from my server.

All my traffic runs through Cloudflare.com so feel free to download the files as much as you like.

Overview: 

Direct:

Independence

Chaos

Deliverance

Xanadu

Celebration

Exodus

Pristine

Release

Elevation

AncientElevation

All(zip file) (148mb)

Edit--

Since there is an easy official way to download the maps now i've taken down my download links.

Edited by urban
  • Like 2

Wait nevermind it's working now; uploading at 10MB/s :)

Just in case anyone is curious across two servers it has uploaded 39.6GB so far. Not bad but I figured it'd be much more :P

Is it possible to have a map from an other point of view like the north side ?

As Xanadu's mountains are really high i absolutely can't see my deed which is on the north side of one of those mountains.

If it's too much work, nvm especially if i am the only one in that case.

Is it possible to have a map from an other point of view like the north side ?

As Xanadu's mountains are really high i absolutely can't see my deed which is on the north side of one of those mountains.

If it's too much work, nvm especially if i am the only one in that case.

I believe Devs would have to make one. 

I wish they would release a top-down view and a seperate height map.

I might be possible to make those two by looking at each pixel in the map dump (use open png file format and binary data). For each do statistical color evaluation to get shading. Then, taking into consideration mathematics involved for a transformation matrix and perspective projection try to create a top-down and separate height map. Those two steps might need to be swapped. I had asked before if it was okay for my to try this. No one answered my question so I didn't take it any farther. For me it would be very challenging to do this and I didn't want to waste my time. idk, now I'm thinking about it again. I suspect that I'd likely need to drop the raw height map into Blender to fine tune it.

• Like 1

is maps of epic home servers ever around?  they seem to be kept under lock and key.  or am I looking in the wrong place?

I believe Devs would have to make one. 

I wish they would release a top-down view and a seperate height map.

I might be possible to make those two by looking at each pixel in the map dump (use open png file format and binary data). For each do statistical color evaluation to get shading. Then, taking into consideration mathematics involved for a transformation matrix and perspective projection try to create a top-down and separate height map. Those two steps might need to be swapped. I had asked before if it was okay for my to try this. No one answered my question so I didn't take it any farther. For me it would be very challenging to do this and I didn't want to waste my time. idk, now I'm thinking about it again. I suspect that I'd likely need to drop the raw height map into Blender to fine tune it.

I don't think i would be able to do it, what software would you use to make the transformation ?

I don't think i would be able to do it, what software would you use to make the transformation ?

I'd likely have to make the tools. I'd use Python. Yea, its very daunting task. I'm not sure if I could do it either.

I could be wrong but I believe Wurm is using a map drawing software tool a developer (Eagle,iirc) made around 5+ years ago. In order for them to give us different perspective they'd have to make a new mapdumd tool. And we all know how full their plates are with improving Wurm. I just don't see that happening. 

At some point I asked myself, "if my eyes+brain can perceive a 3d-like depth from these map dumps would there be a way for software to use the maps to make things like: topographical maps, different camera perspectives, height-maps, or even 3d models". 

top down you would have to do relief shading, which the tool used to create the dumps probably cannot do.  I have software that does this, but it is mapping software, not image software and would need a data file of the terrain (x,y,z) for each pixel.

Here is an example but I'm sure you have all seen a geography map before with this style of shading, it is normal on maps.  It usually does a color gradient by elevation that you define, I'm not sure it would work based on the game terrain type/pixel color.

matterhorn_relief.jpg

• Like 1

data file of the terrain (x,y,z) for each pixel.

Which is basicly what I wanted to try and make. It might be possible to extract at least a rough estimate of this information from the mapdumps.

I noticed the dumps that community maps are based on are way old. These new maps are much appreciated particularly for showing landmass changes. I'm a new player and trying to navigate by the old maps I would encounter islands that didn't exist and having a hard time in general to figure out where I was.

I'd like to know if there's a plan to release fresh dumps on a regular basis now. The world keeps changing.

The new maps have been going for just over a month now, and we have some interesting statistics to share :ph34r:

Map views:

Affliction                297

AncientElevation   459

Celebration           408

Chaos                   1203

Deliverance           826

Desertion              292

Elevation               668

Exodus                  551

Golden Valley        333

Independence       1,267

Pristine                  417

Release                 503

Serenity                 361

Xanadu                  4,510

Total map views:     12,095

Total offline downloads:  222

Total bandwidth used: 440GB

Collectively, more bandwidth has been used than files on all of my hard drives o.O thanks still go to maximusi for hosting them for us!

• Like 2

I'm not surprised, they're an awesome resource! They make figuring out where you are when lost so much easier, and I've heard they help when planning where to settle or planning construction like bridges and highways. Thank you for providing them!

• Like 1

There's currently an issue with downloading maps from the site (it doesn't give you a download button for some odd reason,) I'll prod Max tomorrow to fix it :3

[17:42:27] <MaxC> I didnt fix anything
[17:42:36] <MaxC> just copied over the existing files with exact same copy of them
[17:42:38] <MaxC> and boom it works

It works now again, magically.. Drop us a PM if you have any more issues.

Edited by Docterchese

Love these new map dumps. Bringing up a question that was brought up earlier and didn't get an answer, how often will these maps get refreshed?

You made me real curious - what did you find? :-)

Yikes, the one directly in the center of the map...

Reminds me of the easter egg in old JKH map, which said "wurm sux"