Sign in to follow this  
MamaDarkness

Bridge Material Calc

Could we get a online version of this calculator going? I don't have Excel on this computer & don't really intend on buying the software licence to just run a calculator.

• Like 3

Could we get a online version of this calculator going? I don't have Excel on this computer & don't really intend on buying the software licence to just run a calculator.

Just use google docs in that case, it works perfectly fine as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Just use google docs in that case, it works perfectly fine as far as I can see.

Would anyone be able to explain briefly please how to open this file in my google docs? Thank you very much, have never done so before, always just thought couldn't open excel docs with it.

Right click on the file and select 'view with google spread sheets" when it's uploaded.

I will make "browser-friendly" version of this tool when I will have enough time. :)

• Like 2

Am I reading this right? From the excel sheet: "Any Bridge over 5 in length requires a minimum height above water.  60 for wood and 80 for bridge. "

So, between deed canal bridges will only be possible if we raise the the area by (60 dirt above water for wood) and (80 dirt above water for brick/marble)?

Is this the bridge entry and exit points or just the center of the bridge?

For example: I have two canals dug over 100 dirt deep however the road at the canal is only 1 dirt above water level.

Please tell me I will be able to replace our land bridges with actual bridges without having to raise the roads.

Iict1sK.jpg

Am I reading this right? From the excel sheet: "Any Bridge over 5 in length requires a minimum height above water.  60 for wood and 80 for bridge. "

So, between deed canal bridges will only be possible if we raise the the area by (60 dirt above water for wood) and (80 dirt above water for brick/marble)?

Is this the bridge entry and exit points or just the center of the bridge?

For example: I have two canals dug over 100 dirt deep however the road at the canal is only 1 dirt above water level.

Please tell me I will be able to replace our land bridges with actual bridges without having to raise the roads.

Iict1sK.jpg

id like to know about this too, from trying some things on test it seems currently (8 tile gap,  between heights 37 and 64):

flat bridges (brick/marble) require min height of 80 at both ends

flat bridges (wooden) require min height of 60 at both ends

arched bridges (wooden) require min height of 60 at both ends

arched (brick/marble) bridges work

rope works

there is somewhere id like to be able build a flat bridge between height 32 and height 86 that is nine tiles long and currently looks impossible

id like to know if any specific reason for these minimums

while im trying stuff, if i have time i can try making a bridge like that, and see if it works currently, but i think there may be an absolute minimum height of something like 5-10 above water level

Edited by fireblade

I'm sure open office would open the excel file as well and that is a free platform.  If someone wants to convert it all to an online version or something else they are more than welcome.  

For the bridge height, I take that to be anywhere along the bridge due to the note about rope sag and probably so boats do not go through bridges...  But since wood/brick are either arched or flat, the middle should always be higher than the ends right?  For rope bridges you can adjust how much it 'sags' based on your body strength when you design the bridge.  You need less 'sag' in the rope when one end is higher than the other to keep the slopes in a valid (walking) range.  You can also try it out on test server.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll hope for an arched bridge in the future that can be used close to water then. :)

Bridge Length is a protected cell.

yes it is, it calculates the length based on the sections you add in.  you must specify the segments to define the bridge.  Only the arched version you specify the length because the design (sections) are fixed in code.

I was making marble bridges on test and there it is 20 marble bricks for each Wall section. In the excel file there are 10. Is this a error in the excel file?

Same with arched stone bridges.

Edited by Stimrol

updated the file.  It is 10 per wall section but you always have sections per bridge length.  The sheet was pulling the width so it could be more or less than needed.  The total is updated now to just multiply by 2 instead of the bridge width.

Will 5 tile length flat bridges at water level block boats? Or will they be able to sail through them?

Trying to figure out if I have any other options other than raising the canal area.

Please and thank you :)

Will 5 tile length flat bridges at water level block boats? Or will they be able to sail through them?

Trying to figure out if I have any other options other than raising the canal area.

Please and thank you :)

From what I understand you cannot plan a bridge at water level anyhow. It has to be at least 10 dirt above water level at both ends. Although the wiki doesn't specify if that is only for arched bridges or both types. Edited by Slickshot

On 4/18/2015 at 5:47 AM, MamaDarkness said:

I'm sure open office would open the excel file as well and that is a free platform.

Gud'morning MamaDarkess and folks,   Thursday,  Aug 30th, 2018 @ 18:07 UTC

Unfortunately MamaDarkness it does Not work with Open Office.

It would open but It kept throwing me error messages in the Arched Bridges section when ever I tried to select Bridge type, Width and Length.

but... per Jberg's suggestion I uploaded it to Google Docs and got it work in there.

Thank you Warlander for this marvelous tool.  Sure makes life a little easier.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

2 hours ago, HughMongus said:

Thank you Warlander for this marvelous tool.  Sure makes life a little easier.

I never actually made a web version of this tool - accurate and up to date bridge materials calculations are part of one of more recent DeedPlanner updates, through.

is there anyway to get an online version for this bridge calc? do I need to DL google spread sheets for this? I tried a free excel viewer but it doesn't work.