Sign in to follow this  
billysweird

Macbook pro on network taking up Wurms Ports [Resolved]

So took my almost 2 days of troubleshooting trying to find this issue, It's also affecting a patcher for another game with port 80. But basically everytime my GF join's the network her macbook takes up the ports for wurm which lag's my game beyond anything. And i can't find what is taking up the ports which leads me to believe it's a system process which is taking up these ports which mac's don't allow you to change for some reason. 

So is there anything anyone can help me with?

Sound like more like an issue with the network itself rather than anything else.  I run multiple machines running Wurm including Macs  on the same network with no issues whatsoever. If anything I'd be looking at the router configuration.

Some routers will allow you to define the priority of a computer's packets based on what computer they are going to and from. On my D-Link DIR-655 it is called the QOS engine under advanced settings. If your router supports it, squish your girlfriend's priority way down and bump yours up on that port range. :P

Quite easy to pick Deri, 4 computers on the network. The second that the mac enters the game instantaniously lags. And i've attempted giving myself priority on the network for the ports. But i can't actually set the bandwidth allocation on it, unfortunately. 

Which server cluster do you typically play on? According to the wurmpedia freedom and epic use different port numbers, if this issue is specifically related one port. I'd be more inclined to believe that the Mac is using a lot of your upload bandwidth, that usually causes a lot of latency issues. What tool / utility were you using to determine that the Mac was taking up this specific port, whether it be 3725, 3724, or 3723?

And an obvious question may be to ask if there has been any updates done to the MacBook recently, or new software that's been installed?

Application Manager i think, when you look at the process's currently running it tells you what ports they are using, Unless it's a system service.

The local ports on the windows machine and the mac have no effect on outgoing network communication like Wurm uses.

Think of it as appartment numbers. It does not matter if another house has an appartment with the same number as yours.

However it's quite possible that some service on the mac is causing excess network traffic which overloads a network component.

Yeh but its causing excess network traffic only for games that use these specific ports. Everything else on my network runs fine, and it doesn't effect download speeds either. The only way we are solving it at this point is by switching my gf's laptop off and sharing network times. It's getting really annoying. 

Finally Figured it out, I had to turn IPv6 off on the mac and stop the mac from using the 802.11b signal...as it was soaking it all up for some reason. 

• Like 1