Sign in to follow this  
Chakron

Niarja - Go use WurmNode!

Nahjo (or at least, someone claiming to be Nahjo) apparently uploaded Epic Cluster skills to the Freedom Cluster section. I've moved their skills over to Epic.

Based on feedback received via forum posts as well as things I've noticed as people used the site, the following things are currently on my plate for Niarja:

FEATURES & IMPROVEMENTS

-Add the ability to show/hide individual skills in an otherwise public skill dump. Some players have started doing this by deleting rows from the dumps they upload. Some have done that with a lot of rows.

-Add new "sections" where players can do things like write about themselves or advertise for services.

-Improve the mobile interface (button groups, etc)

-Come up with a better concept of "Skill Points". Perhaps something that takes into account how many 50/70/90+ skills a player has.

-More options for skills. For example, click on a skill name to see the Top 50 or something like that. Still thinking about this.

-Put Paving under "Masonry" rather than "Miscellanous Items"

BUGS

-I need to add a few more decimal points to my numbers. Some people at the bleeding edge (skills like 99.999600) are having their numbers rounded up to 100.00. In most places that wouldn't be a huge deal, but in Wurm Online that qualifies as an inaccuracy.

-Character Sheet skill columns don't stack properly on tablets.

-Alignment (-100 to 100) is currently being included in "Skill Points" totals.

-You can't compare skills for Coal-Making (hyphen-related issue, easy fix)

How do you hide the specific skills?

How do you hide the specific skills?

my bad. Saw it as a future feature! Sounds good!

-Put Paving under "Masonry" rather than "Miscellanous Items"

I think best is to keep the skills structure, which we have in game. Will be only more confusing to create something different on Niarja. Currently paving, prospecting and tracking are under nature, where they shouldn't be.

I think best is to keep the skills structure, which we have in game. Will be only more confusing to create something different on Niarja. Currently paving, prospecting and tracking are under nature, where they shouldn't be.

I think I agree with that. Putting paving under Masonry doesn't feel completely right to me, even if it sounds related. I'll create an entry for those general/top-level skills.

here is a link to the picture  see how the red makes the text blurry, but the others are fine.

1IZsKYz.jpg?2

That is really really weird. Do you mind telling me more about your operating system/browser/version? I'm going to fix this either way but I'm curious about what's causing that. I'll come up with a few new color schemes and post them in this thread so you can take a look.

I am using Windows 7. I have an Nvidia GT570 graphics card I believe.   I am using Firefox as my browser.  Try using Highlighter Pink??

Thank you so much for taking me into consideration.  I believe that people who try to satisfy their customers will do well in the business world.

That is really really weird. Do you mind telling me more about your operating system/browser/version? I'm going to fix this either way but I'm curious about what's causing that. I'll come up with a few new color schemes and post them in this thread so you can take a look.

Is not weird at all, and have nothing to do with browsers or OS, its a matter of eyesight, I never had problems reading text over red background, but now text over red is totally blurred to me.

Others are seeing this correct? When you look at my image you can see that the red is blurred.

Is not weird at all, and have nothing to do with browsers or OS, its a matter of eyesight, I never had problems reading text over red background, but now text over red is totally blurred to me.

The red text in the screenshot actually seems blurred, which is not how it is for most people. Doesn't seem vision related.

Edit: not home yet to take a look

Edited by Chakron

The red text in the screenshot actually seems blurred, which is not how it is for most people. Doesn't seem vision related.

Edit: not home yet to take a look

Wen I put my glasses on and the browser zoom is 100% the text looks pretty much sharp to me, once i take the glasses off it gets blurred even at 150% zoom.

Of course your millage may vary :P

PD: 1920x1200 24" monitor, IPS panel.

Edited by KunAlt

Yeah, it's a weird one. I'm also using 2 24" IPS Panel 1920x1200s, and here's what I see at various zoom levels in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome:

LpcbSzH.png

To me, those look crisp at all three levels of zoom. I can't get it to look exactly the way it does in your screenshot. The screenshot is a little grainy due to how it was saved but even so it's very clear that the red background is a problem. It's a rendering thing, not an eyesight thing because it looks bad to me too.

I just applied some additional text smoothing methods and I changed the "red" color very slightly. How is it looking now? Let me know and I'll continue to try to figure this out...

Edit: If the issue persists I can always change the way I call out 50/70/90 skills, it's not really a big deal :) I'm just interested in what's happening here.

Edited by Chakron

here is a link to the picture see how the red makes the text blurry, but the others are fine.

1IZsKYz.jpg?2

That is a jpg image. The jpeg compression creates the artifacts around the text making it blurry. Try saving screenshots as png like Chakron did. Black text on red background might appear a bit blurry to you because of low contrast of the two colors. Edited by Twinsen
  • Like 1

That is a jpg image. The jpeg compression creates the artifacts around the text making it blurry. Try saving screenshots as png like Chakron did. Black text on red background might appear a bit blurry to you because of low contrast of the two colors.

That's a good point, I mentioned that the image was grainy due to how it was saved but that's probably also what is making red look worse than yellow. It's too strong a contrast for people of certain eyesights. I'll think of a different useful way to show 50/70/90.

Sorry for the lack of updates today, I was busy all day and night. It's looking like I'll have free time tomorrow.

Others are seeing this correct? When you look at my image you can see that the red is blurred.

Yes, I see the blur in your image.... but as others have said, it could be .jpg quality loss.

As for on the site, it's been crystal clear to my eyes... even with the red seeming slightly lighter in color today.

The more transparent red is for sure better. I do realize I have old people eyes, but before I could not read anything that was red highlight. Now I can see a bit better still blurry but not as bad.  As far as the .jpg quality of the screenshot. That is exactly how it looked on my screen.

Thank you for addressing this matter.

Quickly knocked out some bugs. Let me know what you think of the skill highlights. I'll probably come up with something better than 50/70/90, but that's what I'm sticking with for now.

• Like 2

very cool site!  I approve! lol.

I put my stats up there for grins.  Fun being able to do a compare to others.

is the best thing since sliced wurmbread

Edited by Szai

Suggestion based on my experience of trying to flip back and forth between two pages to compare: compare two people's stats side by side, color coded by who has more, and sorted by the sum of both skill values.

Suggestion based on my experience of trying to flip back and forth between two pages to compare: compare two people's stats side by side, color coded by who has more, and sorted by the sum of both skill values.

I have something currently planned which is basically exactly what you described.

Small request - please allow uploading skill dumps without copy/paste, just by specifying the file to upload (there is a special type of input button for that).

Small request - please allow uploading skill dumps without copy/paste, just by specifying the file to upload (there is a special type of input button for that).

That will be added soon. Careful with that simple input button though! You can introduce a lot of security vulnerabilities by implementing one improperly. Even major companies make that mistake sometimes.

Edited by Chakron