Sign in to follow this  
Chakron

Niarja - Go use WurmNode!

Site will be down for 5 minutes or so, testing a few things.

nope, site still down over here....

love the animation :))

Edited by Thorakkanath

Took it down again, still playing around with things. Nothing to worry about.

Edit: Back up now, everything should be good. I received a LOT of messages that Niarja was down and I really appreciate it - it means a lot of people really like it! I should really get back to work on the site. Heading to bed now but tomorrow I'll post a quick explanation on what happened and why my alarms didn't catch it.

Edited by Chakron

Creating characters with underscores and spaces in the name is allowed, but breaks the system pretty handily.

Spaces just break data deletion and the snapshot list, but underscores break everything; you can still upload data, but not view it or delete it. For some reason, the snapshot list actually does work in that instance.

Yep, that's something I need to fix. I realized "oh yeah, character names only have a few legal characters" about halfway into writing Niarja and never got around to closing that loop completely. For now, do you have any characters you need me to clean up?

WRC_Isky can go away.

I can still make use of the one with the space (I just have to be careful not to upload any erroneous logs hah).

I deleted "WRC_Isky" and changed "WRC Isky" to "WRCIsky" (let me know if that's not what you meant).

I would've been fine with the only-half-broken space left in, but this is good too.

I'll probably end up reuploading all of these dumps under the actual Isky character if/when you add proper WU server pool support anyway.

I'm happy to support the major WU servers if they have twitter accounts set up that spew out the same information.

I was thinking of WU support on the skill comp side, with user-made 'clusters', shared via URL or private key. I'm envisioning something like the group feature that existed on WOS.

A third cluster button that brings up a dropdown of ones you've joined.

Niarja Skill Compare is now ranking players based on a concept called Skill Time Points ("STP"). Allow me to explain how this works.

Previously, Niarja ranked players on "Skill Points". Your skill point total was simply the sum of all of your skill values. That's problematic when trying to compare characters because skill gain isn't linear. Under the Skill Point comparison system a player with 100 Weaponsmithing is equal to a player that has 50 Digging and 50 Mining because they both have 100 Skill Points. Obviously in the real world that's not true - grinding to 100 Weaponsmithing is insanely more difficult than getting both 50 Digging and 50 Mining.

STP is an estimate of the amount of time it would take you to grind to a certain skill level. I'm going to get a little more technical in the next few paragraphs, so you can skip those if you want.

The number of actions required to level a skill are based on code pulled directly from the Wurm Online code base (this particular code is identical between Online and Unlimited). Simulations are based on a character performing actions:

-that last 10 seconds

-without affinities

-without coc

-without vynora (10% skill gain bonus)

-without path of knowledge

-at 50% nutrition

-without sleep bonus

-with an expected 100% tick rate

-a few other things that are difficult for me to explain but are part of the skill gain process

"Skill Difficulty" is a modifier that is also pulled directly from the Wurm code base and used in simulations. The default skill difficulty is used in all situations except

-Creation-only skills receive a 3x modifier

-Meditation receives a 4x modifier

-Fighting, Faith, and Alignment are given a 0x modifier

Okay, non-technical people can come back now. If you've looked at the Wurm code base you probably have a basic understanding of what I've done here. Here's the take-away:

1. Players are now ranked based on how much time they've put into leveling their skills.

2. Try not to think too hard about what STP means. It's technically a function based on seconds, but it's extremely difficult to look at any skill and say how long it took someone. The only purpose of the simulation conditions are to determine how many actions it takes to get to a certain skill level so harder-working players can be rewarded. I think we can all agree that if someone levels Weaponsmithing to 100, they should get credit for doing that.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 10

what is STP? i cannot find any reference to it and clicking it either in personal mode or in the main comparison page does not do anything...

I just updated the site with a link to my previous post. I had to type that up real fast :)

On 4/11/2016 at 3:38 AM, Martynas5 said:

Will there be a way to upload multiple dumps at once ?

I hope to make this possible within the next few days. I like to be extremely cautious about accepting user-inputted files.

39 minutes ago, Chakron said:

I hope to make this possible within the next few days. I like to be extremely cautious about accepting user-inputted files.

Yes please! I have over 1500 skilldumps that I would need to upload....

Edited by Thorakkanath

You can no longer create characters on Niarja that are invalid Wurm Online names (they contain numbers, spaces, etc). I've deleted 51 invalid characters that were uploaded. I still have the raw data for these characters and will be completely removing it from Niarja a week from now. If you have character data you'd like to recover, please PM me.

One thing I noticed: there are a few characters with a higher than expected ranking because they have 100 HFC. HFC doesn't require much time at all, and you can in fact pay someone to do 99% of the work and just spend a few minutes hitting 100. Should it be counted differently?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thorgot said:

One thing I noticed: there are a few characters with a higher than expected ranking because they have 100 HFC. HFC doesn't require much time at all, and you can in fact pay someone to do 99% of the work and just spend a few minutes hitting 100. Should it be counted differently?

I'd have to say no for purely selfish reasons.

Currently at 99.999 myself and alkl my own pan filling, did all veggie and nearly all meat collection myself. Trust me, done this way its as slow as any other skill.

• Like 1

Same, also filled all the pans myself just by cooking food for pigs..

HFC is one of those fuzzy skills that I had to make a judgment call on*. It's hard to level any skill to 100, but I think it's easier with HFC because you get to gain skill while ignoring timers. That's not to say there's not work involved (and even if you pay someone to do it, maybe you can consider that a character investment you should get points for anyway :)). Everyone has the ability to grind HFC so I decided to leave it alone rather than try to come up with what I thought was a fair adjustment. Even that would be biased and not a complete solution.

I also really don't intend for people to AIM for a high STP. Spending time on a character doesn't directly make it a good. I'd rather have a character with every skill at 90 than a character that has a few skills at 100. STP is a measure of time spent rather than character quality. For most people, Niarja is a way to share their characters with their friends. There are also the "super users" who play Wurm a lot and would like to see how their characters measure up on an STP-like concept. It's neat trivia but I don't see anyone aspiring to be in the Top 10 List. I'm interested in what people would consider a measure of a "good" character. It would probably include a combination of characteristics, 50/70/90/100 titles, and maybe a few other things. Wurm is also a game that is open to many play styles so I don't want to define what it means to be "good". I have a deed on Xanadu where I do nothing but breed crabs. I consider that a play style but it's also completely insane and pointless. And I'm good at it.

*Fighting is another one. People are probably curious why I excluded that one. It's messy.

• Like 4

What about shield bashing? Seems the difficulty wasn't taken into account

Mind telling me more? You're probably right that I've missed something. I can change anything pretty easily.

After taking a look at the shield bashing code, it looks like shield bashing deserves a modifier of 5x or so. I'll take a closer look at the best solution and have that implemented this weekend. Thanks.

As defined by the Wurm code shield bashing has a normal difficulty ("difficulty" is an actual number per skill) but it's actually the skill gain rate that is artificially difficult. This is different than other skills that just have a high "difficulty" value, so I didn't notice this right away.

Edited by Chakron