Sign in to follow this  
Mishia

How can we get more people to play Wurm Online? [DEVS READ]

Graphics don't matter to me. I'd rather have a good game that I can run on any computer than realistic avatars. I think the current graphics are okay. Apart from creatures and avatars they don't look too bad.

What needs to be improved though is the new player experience.

I tried out Wurm a couple of times throughout the years but always quit again after a day or two before I finally joined for good last year or so.

The game has a very steep learning curve compared to other games. Experienced players know what to do when they need help, but new players don't.

It also doesn't help that the old servers (Pristine, Release etc.) seem abandoned compared to Xanadu. I recently visited the place where my deed used to be on Release and was shocked by how empty everything was. My deed was not in the middle of nowhere, but just a bit south of the starting town, in a previously very populated area. Back in the day I was in an active alliance and talked to the owners of the neighbouring deeds regularly. There was a market with several merchants nearby. Now there's just nothing there anymore.

Something needs to be done about that. Having a couple of almost empty servers doesn't make a good impression. To be honest, I moved to Xanadu like almost everybody else - it was fun -, but sometimes I wonder if it really was a good idea. I'm not sure anymore if Xanadu was absolutely necessary.

To be fair, things habe improved since I first joined the game (deed stakes, tents etc.), but there is still a lot of room for more improvement.

There should also be more advertising, as others have written. Wurm should get on Steam. Despite its problems it's still the best online game I've played since Ultima Online. It isn't for everybody, I admit that, but there are probably a lot of people out there who would love Wurm, but just don't know that the game exists.

As for the costs, I don't find Wurm that expensive. Ultima Online had a higher subscription fee when I played it, and I played Ultima Online for almost ten years. WoW und Eve Online cost more, and I played both for quite some time. I Pay 10 euros every month (1 month subscription, 1 silver). By selling my Sleep Powder and occasionally selling things at my token/foraging I'm able to finance the upkeep for my deed without problems.

Edited by Yllana

There are so many things that people are complaining about in here, which I feel don't effect me in the slightest. Wurm runs great for me, yes there is some lag here and there but you get that in all mmo's sometimes. Some say I wouldn't tell me friends that wurm is a great game. I tell everyone it's the best game. I know thats just my opinion, but I play lots of games all the time, but I always play wurm and I come back to it and then play exclusively.

Expensive? Like ulvi said, 1 character, a small deed, you can do everything you want. For expansion on deeds and more characters, yes it's going to cost. Even if the cost is more, I'm getting from from this game than any else by far. But still we complain about price.

Again, like others have said, People quit cause they cbf researching the game, taking the time to skill and so on. Out of the tutorial? GL chat "what do I do now?"

Anyway, Bridges coming soon. I'm thinking there is going to be some nice little goodies in there as well, perhaps ship texture? People will come back, they always come back.

Just remember, the people that comment on here are the few, there are many more people out there happy as Larry just playing the game. Just like life, we always complain about the things and rarely praise the good things. Sometimes I wonder why some complainer actually still play wurm, they sound so disgruntled with the game.

As for steam? When Rolf says it's "ready" we might see it. But for now we will just have to keep seeing all the "it's got potential" alpha game that want to be a 'dumbed down wurm' popping up. Although I havent played it 'Ascent: The game seems to be an exception.

Are there things I'd like to have changed in wurm? yes. But i'm pretty happy if and when they do. Back to Building!

[...lots of things ulvi thought were reasonable, just click the link/arrow in the upper right^...]

It also feels a bit weird when people say, "this game has potential". I think Wurm is an established game, and very much so. Wurm has been created and continuously being worked on and improved upon for 10 years or a little more (when we'd be talking pe-alpha and alpha, or "early access" as it's called these days).

Having started as a small fun project of two cool guys (assumably, I don't remember Rolf's and Markus' story on that), and not only grown into a business, but made into something very unique in the gaming and MMO industry. But it's not some Early Access title, that has 3 hours or so of fun content, where you'd say "oh wow it has potential", or where people behind it grab your cash for a cool idea and possibly throw away the whole project because it didn't work out as they thought it would.

Sure, there are a lot of things that we say that we don't like, and things that could be done better (in our opinions).

But I'm almost certain that Wurm only discontinues, if all that we do is throw hate at Rolf for, what we think, is doing a bad job, and he (or anyone really, paid staff or volunteer) drops the mic and just peace out. Because I'm pretty sure that some things we say, do hurt a lot emotionally. And quite a few are seldom justified, or not written in anger, for example.

[...]we always complain about the [bad] things and rarely praise the good things[...]

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 2

Sometimes I wonder why some complainer actually still play wurm, they sound so disgruntled with the game.

I often wonder the same thing.

I think wurm should let its freak flag fly, and stuff, and seek out all the bizarre and interesting people who are actually interested in this kind of game.

Also, an active subreddit wouldn't hurt. And a "Too Weird for Steam" ad campaign. I'd be willing to illustrate it in Paint.

I'm not an opponent of forum drama, per se, but Wurm's can be highly verbose. New players are going to want to get up to speed quickly.

Even if Wurm Online found the "megaload" - a forum full of thousands of players who are interested in a "niche" grind game like this, advertisement there would be a waste of resources.

For every 10 that come, we are lucky if one stays. The bugs, the dev speed, the insistence of our dev team working on unnecessary things (i.e. a 3rd PVP cluster), microtransactions everywhere... It doesn't take long to figure out how Wurm is and most people don't/won't want to deal with it, regardless if the play style is right up their alley.

• Like 2

In todays games graphics matter and they will matter more and more and more.  To say its only a small % of gamers who like nice graphics is completely false..with that said here's just an average game....to compare too. ;)

fem02.jpg

vs

TERA-Goes-Free-To-Play-1.jpg

steve.jpg

• Like 12

steve.jpg

Pretty on spot, there are vast numbers of people out there that do not care about graphics or super in depth mechanics.  It's purely about being in a Sandbox MMO that has the resources to build what ever you want, when ever you want.  Making something your own is a thing people crave on.  No matter how big or small.

Even if Wurm Online found the "megaload" - a forum full of thousands of players who are interested in a "niche" grind game like this, advertisement there would be a waste of resources.

For every 10 that come, we are lucky if one stays. The bugs, the dev speed, the insistence of our dev team working on unnecessary things (i.e. a 3rd PVP cluster), microtransactions everywhere... It doesn't take long to figure out how Wurm is and most people don't/won't want to deal with it, regardless if the play style is right up their alley.

I'm assuming this is directed to advertisement on Steam.  First off, there are 10s of Millions of people on Steam.  Secondly, there doesn't need to be a huge influx of players.  I think right now the goal is that Wurm can get a bigger base following.  Then use that bigger base in order to higher more staff that can produce content faster and make the game grow. 

I'm glad wurm isn't overpopulated like most other mmo's yes it turns in more profits for the game company but it lowers the gaming experience in my opinion,   i prefer the small community of wurm, where  you can get to know people in a way.

to sum it up-  more people = more chaos/madness.

ps: those who stay usually stay forever, it's a unique game that  you either love or hate.

I have to disagree with you on this... I no way any of the maps are even close to capacity.

Having low numbers results in stuff like "Where's RedBaron today?"

The problem, though, is not really lack of advertising... Problem is Wurm isn't really up-to-date. Devs have put up some efforts on that front (craft window, the select bar, etc), but its simply not enough. The game is still by far too aggressive and hard to start. Even people that get a head start by joining deeds will sooner or later reach a point where its more frustrating than appealing.

Its not really graphics though, there's a ton of "retro" games with way worse graphics than Wurm, WoW only recently got a big graphics overhaul but never really stopped being popular. The problem is that unlike most Sandboxes Wurm is MMO, and open world, meaning there's competition between players on an extended period of time, and as such the devs decided to balance that by making things extremely slow, which turns the game into a dull, mind-numbing grindfest. That's pretty much the issue: Wurm has one of the worse cases of grind mentailty i've ever seen and i've played Asian F2P MMOs from the early 2000's. I mean back then it was common for many games to force you to grind for a month, no quests to get a level at mid-high level ranges. But that paradigm as shifted by a lot, and people usually will require more in-depth mechanics but at the same time, more instant gratification.

And that, gentleman, isn't Wurm at all... I mean Wurm is like weeks of repetitive grind for a 30 seconds "Yay i'm lvl 10above what i started 3 weeks ago". Then you might make a new weapon and go hunt for a couple of days, but then you think you need enchants, so you grind for silver for the enchants, or you go and grind a priest to have the enchants yourself. Then you think the weapon would be cooler at +10Ql than current, then you need that armor, so lets grind Plate... And so on... And each new objective and bit of accomplishment is preceded with intense long periods of dullness. And that's what leaves people behind.

Wanna make a castle, great, now you just need 5000 bricks and 5000 mortar, which means you'll need to mine for a few hours, then dig for a few hours, then spend 2-3 times that time again crafting the materials, then another god knows how long making the outer shell of the castle, then you need floors, roofs, then furnishing and decorations, and you finish with something that looks good in Wurm, but by then you'd have done a replica of Minas Tirith in Minecraft.

Sure some people will stick around, but those are few and too far between. Basically Wurm is slowly dying, because unlike Tazinsky says, people don't stick forever, there's more than a few cases of people who played for years that up and reached their point of no return and simply quit.

I'm one of those, although i'm still hanging by, cause i really like the stuff i did in Wurm, and its kind of sad to let go.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 2

Comparing easy mode minecraft to wurm MMO lol......not gonna work folks.

Comparing easy mode minecraft to wurm MMO lol......not gonna work folks.

Minecraft is pretty close to what Wurm is.  It's just a lot more casual and the grind isn't there.  However, there is a mod for Minecraft called McMMO which integrates skill levels for tasks.  Some of those servers that run it are the most popular out there.  Minecraft may be a lot easier of a game, but who are any of you to say that their player base wouldn't be interested in Wurm?  I was a Minecraft player for nearly 4 years until I found Wurm.  It ended up being what I wanted til the point of PvP. 

• Like 1

Minecraft is pretty close to what Wurm is.  It's just a lot more casual and the grind isn't there.  However, there is a mod for Minecraft called McMMO which integrates skill levels for tasks.  Some of those servers that run it are the most popular out there.  Minecraft may be a lot easier of a game, but who are any of you to say that their player base wouldn't be interested in Wurm?  I was a Minecraft player for nearly 4 years until I found Wurm.  It ended up being what I wanted til the point of PvP. 

If you want masses you do what they like....otherwise you be a nitch game like Wurm is now.

Believe me I have had plenty of friends come who play all kinds of games, on steam, etc....They all left saying too grindy not enough meat on the bone.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 2

[...]Wanna make a castle, great, now you just need 5000 bricks and 5000 mortar, which means you'll need to mine for a few hours, then dig for a few hours, then spend 2-3 times that time again crafting the materials, then another god knows how long making the outer shell of the castle, then you need floors, roofs, then furnishing and decorations, and you finish with something that looks good in Wurm, but by then you'd have done a replica of Minas Tirith in Minecraft[...]

But... what are you saying? If you want to make a castle, just snap your fingers, or make a right-click, then choose whatever and done? What effort would you like there to be, to put something semi-persistent into the game world?

[...]However, there is a mod for Minecraft called McMMO which integrates skill levels for tasks

I'm afraid to say, and I personally loved McMMO for the time we've had it, but honestly... I just loved grinding fishing so much, in the end... I'd have to say, the extra benefits from it were overpowered.

I think, objectively, the only things that Minecraft and Wurm have in common is a somewhat similar terrain generation (Minecraft maps feel nicer for all intents and purposes, Wurm is just island maps), terraforming, animals that can be bred, being sandbox-ish, and their makers.

And yes, I don't play Minecraft so much because of the awesome graphics (nice comeback, Wossoo). I haven't played The Elder Scrolls 3-5 that much because of the awesome graphics. Nor did I play Wurm for the graphics, or Perpetuum Online, or EVE-Online, Ultima Online, Ancient Domains of Mystery, SimCity 2000, Quake 2, or any other game I ended up really really liking a lot.

Why Wurm can't retain its high concurrent users count is not because it looks comparatively ###### to your run-off-the-mill f2p manga RPG or whatever.

And nobody really went into answering, or even trying to answer the topic's question. How can we get more people to play Wurm Online? Or more importantly, how can we make them want to keep playing?

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I want to keep playing just as is, first of all. But I could do with some improvements here and there.

So again... advertising is no good, getting in new players right now, is no good, unless you figure out how to retain players, which didn't work before. Neither with new servers, or press coverage, or whatever. But eh, don't turn to me asking what's wrong, I'm fine.

But... what are you saying? If you want to make a castle, just snap your fingers, or make a right-click, then choose whatever and done? What effort would you like there to be, to put something semi-persistent into the game world?

I'm afraid to say, and I personally loved McMMO for the time we've had it, but honestly... I just loved grinding fishing so much, in the end... I'd have to say, the extra benefits from it were overpowered.

I think, objectively, the only things that Minecraft and Wurm have in common is a somewhat similar terrain generation (Minecraft maps feel nicer for all intents and purposes, Wurm is just island maps), terraforming, animals that can be bred, being sandbox-ish, and their makers.

And yes, I don't play Minecraft so much because of the awesome graphics (nice comeback, Wossoo). I haven't played The Elder Scrolls 3-5 that much because of the awesome graphics. Nor did I play Wurm for the graphics, or Perpetuum Online, or EVE-Online, Ultima Online, Ancient Domains of Mystery, SimCity 2000, Quake 2, or any other game I ended up really really liking a lot.

Why Wurm can't retain its high concurrent users count is not because it looks comparatively ###### to your run-off-the-mill f2p manga RPG or whatever.

And nobody really went into answering, or even trying to answer the topic's question. How can we get more people to play Wurm Online? Or more importantly, how can we make them want to keep playing?

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I want to keep playing just as is, first of all. But I could do with some improvements here and there.

So again... advertising is no good, getting in new players right now, is no good, unless you figure out how to retain players, which didn't work before. Neither with new servers, or press coverage, or whatever. But eh, don't turn to me asking what's wrong, I'm fine.

Just read back in some of the older forum threads, comments made by long term players like I was and others. We loved Wurm, and some of us still do, and we had specific reasons why we left and most of those reasons still exist with Wurm.

I still got the itch to log in and start digging or mining or a host of other things.... but the problems, the ones that matter, remain. I as a customer won't come back until they are resolved, and I am not sure they ever will be.

And I won't reiterate my reasons why I left now... Rolf has had a bad enough last few days and He and the Staff members, and many others that play Wurm, don't want to hear why a former Player quit. There's a new Map to get brought online, a new period of exploration goodness and new map goodness, fun times for those about to partake in it. I won't open old wounds now.

If Players really want to know why some of the long term Players quit then read through the old threads. The answers are there.

Edited by Kyrmius

I'm saying is that the effort isn't equitable to the result. Its not just having to make the items, i mean i never played Minecraft, i know people that do, and they create huge structures on survival mode, and i'm pretty sure they use as many or more cubes than i do bricks for most buildings. The thing is minning a shard is a 10 second action (average), making a brick is a 10 second action, adding a brick to a wall is a 10 second action, making 1 mortar, 10 second action. So for 1 action on building a wall (which takes 20) you've already used up the better part of a minute. Making a single wall is about 15 minutes of in-game action, not even going to talk about traveling, stamina drains, and whatnot. 1 Wall 15 minutes.

I remember it took pretty much all of my first play session on Wurm to GATHER the materials for my first house. Sure mining was slower back then and i really had no idea what i was doing, and whatnot, but yeah i spent 4 hours grabbing the materials for 8 walls, and making a couple carts. Now you have to add roof and floors too...

And that's pretty much EASY LEVEL... Now as you go higher, you'll face yourself spending 8 man hours in game to achieve 0,1 of a skill level. That's freaking madness for this day and age, that's the paradigm of 10 years ago, not what nowadays consumers want.

Actually, the answer is here. Wurm needs to be more consumer friendly. Its not adds, wurm has had plenty of advertising, its been featured in a bunch of MMO sites. thing is, like Uber said, i've brought friends over that are natural grinders, and not one stuck to the game. In fact i'm constantly inviting guildmates to come to Wurm, and no one takes for more than 2 weeks. I've had a starter deed for new players, and 90% went away after 2-3 weeks. Those that lasted longer were mostly returning players, and most of those have stopped as well..

Wurm needs more than anything to stop being concerned about stepping on the "old-timer's" toes. Sure they've been here the most, and they deserve some respect at least , but you can't keep on compromising the balance, the economy, and the overall sense of "fairness" and possibility in the game just because of those few that are only here to look out for themselves.

Drake hides and Unique hunting is the prime example of how badly, and lazily wurm is ran.

There were running and recurring suggestion threads to make Uniques respawn, with a bunch of suggested mechanics and implementations to prevent the economy from going bad, and to prevent uniques from becoming a nuisance, but keeping them rewarding (specially in the dragon armor department) and entertaining.

What did CC do? Because they were afraid of "upsetting" the people that farmed dragons in the past and stocked several sets of dragon armor (1 dragon was enough for multiple sets, mind you) and that were selling them for 100-300€ each set, they pretty much made it impossible for a player alone, with only his effort to make a set now. Not only that, but they pretty much disregarded all other suggestions that would prevent dragons from becoming a overbearing threat to players, and mechanics to reduce farming them.

What did that left us? With a "feature" that is pretty much as disliked as its liked, and still its pretty tough for the average joe to tackle a dragon, or any unique, because they have to be slain fast due to their damaging nature. So Achieved nothing, except the nominal feature of "respawning uniques".

• Like 1

If Xanadu had gotten more testing than a couple of 1hr visits, maybe some talking with the playerbase about the map layout kinda like Elevation's getting.... perhaps would have more players and would be generating more money.

No business sense I suppose can be understood with a lot of patience but basic arithmetic?

Must be awesome when new players pick the biggest and newest server only to run into the lagfest, bugfest,..................................... 

• Like 3

Well what a morning surprise.... 

Xanadu was a random generated map and considering all the announcing and "GO! GO LANDGRAB!" it was opened without so much as an announced date when finally connected, all feedback about the map was properly ignored (not like we got much of a chance to give any)... 

Elevation is on its third map "based on player feedback".

Here's one for player retention:

STOP TREATING FREEDOM LIKE SECOND-CLASS PLAYERS, WE'RE THE GODDAMN MAJORITY OF YOUR PLAYERBASE, ROLF.... a shrinking majority.

• Like 3

What makes you think the pvp playerbase are the favored children, or rather are treated better?

Xanadu did not have nearly the same level of united negative criticism from the pve playerbase that the new (older new?) Elevation map did. Its rare to see various pvp factions agree on anything, aside from a desire to pull the rug out from under each other.

EDIT: In fact I don't really recall any negative trends about Xanadu aside from lag complaints, which are universal in Wurm.

Overall Challenge has been the main pvp update to date.

Everything else new for years has been mostly pve content, especially wholesale servers and maps. Sure pve stuff benefits pvp as well.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... STOP TREATING PVPERS LIKE SECOND-CLASS PLAYERS :P

Edited by Klaa

What makes you think the pvp playerbase are the favored children, or rather are treated better?

Xanadu did not have nearly the same level of united negative criticism from the pve playerbase that the new (older new?) Elevation map did. Its rare to see various pvp factions agree on anything, aside from a desire to pull the rug out from under each other.

EDIT: In fact I don't really recall any negative trends about Xanadu aside from lag complaints, which are universal in Wurm.

Overall Challenge has been the main pvp update to date.

Everything else new for years has been mostly pve content, especially wholesale servers and maps. Sure pve stuff benefits pvp as well.

I'm not going back on this train, so lets agree to disagree.

I'm going, however, to make one point, and to give you a challenge, if you will:

Point: Except for the new servers, every thing considered "PVE" is also featured on PvP. Unlike PvP, PvE has no unique content. Sadly PvE servers also get saddled with whichever nerfs usually come from PvP demands, and mostly none of the fun perks (although that has changed a bit after uniques were respawned).

Challenge: Check the Release Notes and do a tally of PvE vs PvP dedicated patches and fixes (exclude things that are shared between them like Karma, uniques respawning, new graphics (stuff like Hammer of Magranon counts as PvP) etc) You can count the Animal Cap as a PvE change, but guard nerfs are PvP.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 3

Yeeeeah we got good clear images of the Xanadu map and the chance to discuss the layout and subsequent modifications to the map over 3 threads in a row before the server was launched ................................. of course we did.

• Like 1

There's a vast gulf between new content and fixes, and new lands are hardly something to scoff at and ignore. I LOVE new maps. One of the few things I love more than popping a mysterious locked chest (REVEAL TO ME YOUR WONDE... damn it, another low ql cloth shoe) is poking around a new map.

Meh, a fixed challenge as the vast majority of tweaking the game is obviously going to be on the pvp-side: Balancing an pseudo-AI opponent is leagues easier and simpler than trying to reign in opposing human players.

Sure as Ive mentioned before pve content shows up on pvp servers.

However, that doesn't indicate pvp players are being favored over pve or vise versa as I argue the same with some other pvp players.

Rolf has always maintained similar codebases so players can transition between the servers with minimal interruption and shifts in gameplay.

Yeeeeah we got good clear images of the Xanadu map and the chance to discuss the layout and subsequent modifications to the map over 3 threads in a row before the server was launched ................................. of course we did.

Strawman fallacy. Better to point out the massive number of Freedom players raging on the forums about the map since it was ad* Oh no wait... I recall there being a mass exodus to Xanadu (hell even I took a look, and pve servers bore me to tears). In fact the only complaints that come to mind were some of the more vocal pvpers going on about dev resources when Xanadu was announced well before it was launched.

Ignore them though, they complain about everything :rolleyes:

Edited by Klaa

Add more fanservice.

This.

We need more semi naked pictures of Archead or wurm will die.

• Like 1

You're coming dangerously close to contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you'd wish that the dev team does a better job at things, like map releases. And now that they're finally putting their back into it some, and having an ear for the players, you're complaining about that they do just because it so happens to be the Elevation, PvP server of the Epic cluster.
  • Like 1

I was impressed how quickly they responded to the negative feedback on the initial map to be honest. Good on them.

On subject, the cheapest way probably to advertise the game would be to encourage some kind of lets players again to review the game. I can't think of an effective cheap technique as I lack any kind of knowledge in that area. Something i'm sure they will work on post the new update.

You're coming dangerously close to contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you'd wish that the dev team does a better job at things, like map releases. And now that they're finally putting their back into it some, and having an ear for the players, you're complaining about that they do just because it so happens to be the Elevation, PvP server of the Epic cluster.

I'll let the massive exodus of players leaving Xanadu speak for itself.

After all, why bother putting much work into something flaunted as unprecedented in mmo's, most massive wow omg so godly server launch when there's a 10% of the playerbase to lovingly make maps for until it's juuuust right.

Edit: oooooh I get what you mean by "contradicting myself" .... nononono see, I'm not saying devs shouldn't get feedback from PvP because PvE didn't get the honor, that's a PvP'er mindset.  I'm saying devs should have sit down to ALSO get feedback from PvE on this kind of thing, just for a change.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 2