Sign in to follow this  
Meldichoir

Glassworking

Wikipedia:
[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda-lime_glass
Soda-lime glass, also called soda-lime-silica glass, is the most prevalent type of glass, used for windowpanes, and glass containers (bottles and jars) for beverages, food, and some commodity items. Glass bakeware is often made of tempered soda-lime glass. Soda-lime glass accounts for about 90% of manufactured glass.
Soda-lime glass is relatively inexpensive, chemically stable, reasonably hard, and extremely workable. Because it is capable of being re-softened and re-melted numerous times, it is ideal for glass recycling.
Soda-lime glass is prepared by melting the raw materials, such as sodium carbonate (soda)[1], lime, dolomite, silicon dioxide (silica)[2], aluminium oxide (alumina), and small quantities of fining agents (e.g., sodium sulfate, sodium chloride*) in a glass furnace at temperatures locally up to 1675 °C.
(*Wurmpedia: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Salt)

[00] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Float_glass
Float glass is a sheet of glass made by floating molten glass on a bed of molten metal, typically tin*, although lead and various low melting point alloys were used in the past. This method gives the sheet uniform thickness and very flat surfaces. Modern windows are made from float glass. Most float glass is soda-lime glass.
(*Wurmpedia: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Tin)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate
 It can be extracted from the ashes of many plants growing in sodium-rich soils, such as vegetation from the Middle East, kelp* from Scotland and seaweed from Spain.
(*Wurpmedia: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Kelp)

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide
Silica is most commonly found in nature as quartz*, as well as in various living organisms. Silica is one of the most complex and most abundant families of materials, existing both as several minerals and being produced synthetically.
Silica is used primarily in the production of glass for windows, drinking glasses, beverage bottles, and many other uses. It is a primary raw material for many ceramics such as earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.
(*Wurmpedia: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Heap_of_sand)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Glassworking:

I suspected/realize that this has been suggested before, but I will submit what I have compiled here because I enjoyed formatting my small research on the topic. I also want to add what I would like to see in glassware, should it ever be introduced to Wurm:

Glass containers will preserve the QL of liquids better than other materials. Wine QL improvement would naturally be slowed;  Wikipedia: "The development of glass bottles with cork closure made it possible to more consistently age wine." Although it will not be absorbing the chemical compounds of the wooden barrel, supposedly enhancing the quality of the wine.
Containers would be lighter than pottery equivalents, due to the thinner wall, and would be improvable upon becoming glowing hot, but would require more labor to craft. Tools to create/improve glass would be created through blacksmithing, such as a blowpipe and shaping paddles.

Creation process:
-Kelp is heated (burned) and changes to 'soda ash'
-Sand is heated to glowing hot and combined with soda ash to create 'glass beads'
-Glass beads are used with the blowpipe to create various containers
-Glass beads are used with tin (glowing hot) to produce 'panes of glass' (the tin is not consumed)
-Glass products improve with shaping paddles, awl, pliers, pelt
-While improving or repairing (only while glowing hot) there is a chance for the glass piece to break (if it becomes to cool) into 'glass shards' which can be used in the same manner as glass beads. Alternatively, you may perform a crush action on glass products to get glass shards in order to recycle material.

Possible creations:
Containers (both blown [bottles] and constructed from panes of glass [boxes]), lamps, stained glass windows, decorative mirrors; naming just the first few creations to come to mind. I almost dare not to say it, but the lens of a spyglass would be a very difficult piece to craft, and would require a very high glassworking skill.

• Like 18

+1  Tremendous ideas - hope they are implemented, as they make use of little used wurm resources.

That would just be awesome. I've always wondered why we didn't have something like glassblowing in Wurm. Rolf knows we've got enough sand! :)

Well, if you introduce too much clicking someone is sure to complain. I've always wanted to see glass introduced to WURM. A Tale in the Desert has a good system that could be emulated in this game. +1

been suggested before and yeah should be something we can do.

+1  this would be great. We need more crafting and this would open up uses for a number of things.

I like the addition of kelp, I don't think this has been thought of before.

+1

• Like 1

sklo_03.jpg

Love this idea.

Here is an interesting article on Green Forest Glass which was common in  medieval times

Also a good read is Anglo Saxon Glass which was also common in the relevant time frame 

USES:

Glass beads could be used for making simple "commoner" jewelry plus decoration for clothing

Marbles could be used for improving Toymaking skill options plus an ingame activity with friends

Glass testubes and petri dishes could become useful in incorporating some early chemistry and science 

Stained glass windows would be lovely though I do not know how hard to implement:

arlenes_roses001004.jpg

• Like 4

+1 ofc. Having glasshouses (a special houses made entirely of glass, and some iron shafts ofcourse to hold it together in which veggies can be planted) that would speed up harvest time, and give better yield would very interestig in my opinion but ofc it would have to be balanced well so it doesn't become owerpowerd... Making spyglasses from lences and copper or brass tubes made by jewelers (on kinda same whay as compases are made), i'm sure glassware will open many doors if implemented :)

• Like 2

Pair with using linden (random pick) woodscraps to make corks, and store our wine in bottles?

Also glass jars to store meals and fish kthx.

• Like 1

+1.  Well thought out and backed up with details.  Way to go, Meldichior.

this would be a nice addition for some artwork glass to hang or place in gothic arch windows for churches/temples/throne rooms

Edited by Bloodscythe

Wow, I appreciate all the response! I also love the greenhouse idea. Keep them coming!

Another interesting use for sand would be to mix it with clay and fire it like pottery to form a ceramic product. And like pottery, you would have to improve the piece before heating it to the finished state. I would like to see ceramic armor pieces which have a high weight, provide excellent protection for being made from shovel-gathered resources, but it would have to be replaced instead of repaired. Ceramics are used in modern military armor, and there are ceramic kitchen knives available; and on the topic of glass, obsidian surgical scalpels which have far superior edges than metal blades.

Greenhouse would be cool and I love the idea of stained glass... would give us a crafting use for lead which would be nice since as far as I know, right now the only use for lead is anchors... maybe it could be used to make fishing weights... sorry... don't divert the thread...

I really like the fact that you took the time to plot out how existing Wurm assets would be used rather than just saying 'I want glassblowing'

Anyway, definitely +1 !

Edited by Kyleshandra

+1 ofc. Having glasshouses (a special houses made entirely of glass, and some iron shafts ofcourse to hold it together in which veggies can be planted) that would speed up harvest time, and give better yield would very interestig in my opinion but ofc it would have to be balanced well so it doesn't become owerpowerd... Making spyglasses from lences and copper or brass tubes made by jewelers (on kinda same whay as compases are made), i'm sure glassware will open many doors if implemented :)

Rather than using the greenhouse for the current crops, this would lend itself toward herb gardens as proposed in a separate thread.

+1 I love the way you present this. Very well thought out.

• Like 1

very well thought out and presented. 

+1 for sure

+++++++++ We need stained glass windows if nothing else  :rolleyes:

+1

did throw in a coin in a wishing well in support of this idea.

• Like 2

I'm stained glass window maker in rl :)

I think the glass and the glassmaking missing a lot from Wurm. I would be glad, if we could make coloured glass windows and bottles. :)

++++++  :D

• Like 1

We already have glass flasks this skill should have been added a while ago.