Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 12

1d5dbd06ef.jpg

Hey Everyone!

Our big news this week is that we are planning a major Spring Update which will be released in mid-April. It will involve the introduction of a long-awaited new feature (bridges!) and will involve a very big change to the Epic cluster.

While everyone loves new features like bridges, provided they don't kill us, from time to time we have to make very important but difficult or controversial changes which we believe will make the game better. Two weeks ago we started a poll on the Elevation server which aimed to find out what premium players there think about a map reset. A very high number of players turned out to cast their vote in that poll. Overall, the results for that poll were strongly in favour of a reset of the Elevation map, with 68.8% of the players voting yes. 

Over the past week the developers have been thinking hard about what to do to make Epic better, paying close attention to the excellent feedback we have received over the past few weeks. After very careful consideration, we made the decision to shut down the Elevation server and replace it with a bigger, better map. Primarily we believe that, along with this being what most on Elevation want to happen, this will be a great step towards re-invigorating the Epic cluster.

And without too much further ado, here's the news in full!

Spring Update

We will be releasing a Spring Update in mid-April which will affect two key areas of the game, including the introduction of a long-awaited new feature (bridges) and some big changes to the Epic cluster.

Bridges

Everyone that has tried the bridge testing server has seen that developers are being relentless in their pursuit of coding bridges. This week the story is no different, but the end is in sight! Bridges are now scheduled for release in mid-April as part of the Spring Update! Go team!

It would have been easy to release bridges much earlier, but to do that we would have had to cut corners and make boring bridges that had to be level, or could only be made out of one material, or only one width option... but where is the challenge in that? Instead, they have been working very hard to develop a wide variety of bridge types, from wood to stone, marble and rope. We have every taste covered!

And it doesn't stop there - they can also be constructed at different widths, and can be built on slopes as ramps, or even between buildings and/or the terrain around them. Truly, if variety is the spice of life, then bridges may be pretty hot!

Obviously with more variety comes more opportunity for things to go a little bit wrong. However, do not fear! We in the PR team made some of our own on test, tapped our feet on the edge of one mighty construction, and shuffled to the middle in hope it would hold. Truth is, to our everlasting relief, they do! 

Here is a screenshot of a marble bridge:

1f44ad7d15.jpg

Elevation Reset

The second major change which will take place with the Spring Update will take place on the Epic cluster. The central PvP server, Elevation, will be shut down on April 13th and a newer, bigger, and much better server will go live to replace it very soon after.

For the full announcement of this please check this thread.

We are confident that the new map will be an opportunity. We believe this will be true for new players, veterans that have hung up their hats and of course those currently playing there. We hope that everyone who plays Wurm feels encouraged and welcomed to join a new and improved Epic. Not only will there be much more space to build your home, but also to help make it a vibrant community. New maps, as we have seen on challenge, can be hand moulded now by the developers. And they will give their best effort to try make it their best map so far!

Further Details:

• Map size will be increased to be equal to the Independence and Chaos servers on the Freedom cluster.
  • The map will take advantage of a central landmass with outlying border islands near the existing home servers Desertion, Affliction and Serenity.
  • Deed costs and unused upkeep will be refunded to mayors, and traders on deeds will be automatically refunded for 20 silver each.
  • Refunds for off-deed traders may be possible if we can establish who owns them.
  • Trader planting has been disabled for now.
  • Skills and inventories of players will be unaffected by this map-only reset.
  • All items on the ground, in containers, in buildings, etc as well as all constructions on the map will be removed when the server is closed. You will also keep anything you have in the bank including money, and also your mail.
  • All players will be moved to the new start deed for their respective kingdoms, and kingdom leaders will remain the same.
  • PMK disbanding will be disabled until their new capitals have been established.
  • The server will be accessible to premium and non-premium accounts alike, however non-premium accounts will not be able to spawn on the central island.

In other news...

Treasure Hunt

Do you fancy yourself a super sleuth? This month's treasure hunt, organised by our most excellent Game Masters, is scheduled to begin on March 28th, on the Exodus server.

They plan to give away up to 15 prizes to the first people to solve the clues they will be posting in this thread. You can also find more information about the treasure hunt there.

Valrei map

The in-game Valrei map has been coming along nicely. Please note it is a work in progress at the moment and some icons are not yet visible!

d7cadc3906.jpg

Valrei Demigods

One of the perks of Epic has for a long time been that you can become a god through winning scenario items from your god.

Recently we have seen two new demigods emerge - Tosiek and Nahjo. On behalf of the team we would like to congratulate those players! And ofcourse Nathan who has been demigod a while now. Lots of players have put effort in the missions and some of those are lucky enough to get rewarded through Valrei items or the keys to Valrei itself.

Demigods have been balanced a little relative to the real gods. After all, they should be less powerful than real gods right?

Friendship Management

To facilitate the new permissions changes announced in Week 9, you may now organise your friends into different categories.

You may do this by right-clicking your body and using the new menu option 'Manage Friends'. You may also add and accept remote friend requests from this new window.

fb213bb828.jpg

(thanks for the Screenshot Atazoth (and friends!))

Wall Rotation

Walls can be rotated now for your convenience. Cant really embellish it more than call it an embellishment itself! Also, the ability to rotate floors will come soonâ„¢!

That's all for this week,

I'm not Johan so I wont say... Keep on Wurming! 

:P 

• Like 37

great post, love the marble bridge =)

• Like 3

tosiek is a demigod why he get model and i dont :(

ill take troll king pls

Edited by Hexproof
  • Like 1

Ok this is interesting, i dont care much about bridges but they look awsome.

I like the epic news.

Ty

• Like 1

We will be releasing ... Bridges

Half life 3 confirmed!  :D

• Like 5

RIP DSC. You will forever hold a special place in my heart. Tribute to the dirt god of wurm Atazoth <3

• Like 6

Wonderful update, really love the look of the marble bridge. But that friends list organizer is fantastic!

if the new friends management just a preparation for further updates or supposed to determine permissions now?

I had to read in installments pacing myself..so so many goodies.   Wondered if that great pic on the cover is from Dragonspine, Elevation.  amazing photo.  I'm one of the few that prolly wasn't bezerkly excited about bridges yet the marble one post is simply gorgeous!!  Though a map reset on Elevation won't be the panacea, I can see it giving a fresh start for sometime to re-signature the land availing more options again to the player base to deed in the short run.

The friends list permission system to come will simply be one of the best changes/additions we've had in a while increasing the security and customization options  of access to things.  I'm overall in love again.  Cheers Wossoo,  you are almost demigod to me with this offering

• Like 1

OMG WALL ROTATION! YES YES YES YES AT INFINITUM!

I love you guys so much.

if the new friends management just a preparation for further updates or supposed to determine permissions now?

Preparation, a small step forward.

• Like 2

Great post! That marble bridge is absolutely gorgeous. And really nice graphics work on that map! Looks very juicy. All in all, looking forward to what the future holds and with each update I find myself just loving this game more and more and more and more... 

• Like 2

Lets hope all goes well with Bridges the marble one looks great

That marble bridge looks incredible! I truly hope the Elevation changes spark new life in to Epic. I will never forget my time in Black Summit, one the best times I have had playing Wurm!

• Like 1

great post, love the marble bridge =)

Fantastic post! :)

I really like the new newsletter format.

And I concur. DAT BRIDGE!!!

Best. Bridge. Ever.

Edited by Belrindor

a major Spring Update which will be released in mid-April. 

How can there be a "spring update" without even a whisper of Wurm Spring Fashion Week   (sadface) 

Guess it is time to start drawing up plans for ...

Wurm Fall Fashion Week!  

Now With Fabulous Winter Fur Fashions! 

ep07_084.gif

I am kidding. I know so many have been waiting YEARS for bridges so this update is going to be very well received. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Wait you mentioned a few thing but left out something thats on the client news update ..

• Removed ability for animals to be lead by using a mooring rope (it was letting multiple animals to be lead by the same mooring rope)

​Why such a sudden change? players have animals in other places that they now can't lead at all because they only carried a mooring rope and left the useless regular ropes behind. A little heads up on this would have been great, even a mention on your news topic would be great too !!

• Like 1

Wow thats an amazing looking deed in the title banner =D

• Like 1

Great job Wossoo. A great update and congratulation to the Wurm Team on the new features coming in. Great stuff.

A very high number of players turned out to cast their vote in that poll. Overall, the results for that poll were strongly in favour of a reset of the Elevation map, with 68.8% of the players voting yes. 

Over the past week the developers have been thinking hard about what to do to make Epic better, paying close attention to the excellent feedback we have received over the past few weeks. After very careful consideration, we made the decision to shut down the Elevation server and replace it with a bigger, better map. Primarily we believe that, along with this being what most on Elevation want to happen, this will be a great step towards re-invigorating the Epic cluster.

Yep, many times the amount of players that actually play on elevation.

Saying that the poll showed that most people on elevation want it to happen is false, the most it showed that most people wanted it to happen, including people from chaos, homeservers, etc.