Sign in to follow this  
Tekari

Highway Rule Addition + Changing Curbs

I'd like to suggest to change the Highway Rule.

As it is:

As it is now we have the options to sand the adjacent tiles of a road or to make a road two tiles wide to mark them as a highway.

In my opinion both aren't good solutions when it comes to building highways in steep terrain.

The sanded tiles look pretty horrible when the tiles left and right of the road are very steep. Plus it just doesn't fit the beauty of the surrounding environment very often.

The two-tile wide roads look pretty good but when building a road along a steep mountain for example this means tons of extra dirt and time to finish a project.

I know some will tell me that Wurm is a tough game to play and I should deal with it but let's be honest...

Someone who's building a 1k or 2k tile long road or longer does know that Wurm takes work and time but that doesn't mean it should be unneccesarily hard

and or discouraging.

What I suggest:

So my suggestions are to change curbs to only need one rock shard (instead of six (which is madness compared to one stone brick for the road anyway))

and add using curbs as a definition for highways.

• Like 1

If you want a highway - put some effort, otherwise just pack some dirt for just the path. 

-1 sanded or two lane should stay.

Edited by Uberknot

Personally, I think all the road protection we currently have is overboard. This suggestion makes more of it.

I'd rather see the highway rules disappear, and instead use the GM sanctioned "historical site" mechanic to protect the real highways.

• Like 3

-1 sanded or two lane should stay.

Never said it shouldn't. I only suggest an alternative method to be used in f.e. steep environments.

Wait I make it clear again: sanded borders and two-tile wide highways MUST stay as an option. I suggest curbs as option Nr. three.

Never said it shouldn't. I only suggest an alternative method to be used in f.e. steep environments.

Wait I make it clear again: sanded borders and two-tile wide highways MUST stay as an option. I suggest curbs as option Nr. three.

+1 

However curbs have to stay as they are (made of 6 rock shards).

Only if the curbs are on a two lane or sanded highway.....others wise no.

why not make a special highway marker thingy and forget curbs.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 2

Could make special highwaycurbs by the devs just giving the regular curb a skin with a different color (white for instance). It does need to be a different item then the regular curbs i.m.o., else suddenly all kinds of 'decorated on-deed roads' which are certainly NOT meant to be highways would suddenly become so (and be untouchable from then on, which was never the way they were meant to be when made). +1 for this third possibility though!

Personally, I think all the road protection we currently have is overboard. This suggestion makes more of it.

I'd rather see the highway rules disappear, and instead use the GM sanctioned "historical site" mechanic to protect the real highways.

^  That really covers my opinion on this.  I dislike the idea that someone could make a 2 thick road right next to my deed and have it protected.

I don't like the OP's suggestion. Highways should have some width to them, being at least 2 tiles. Reducing them to only 1 tile wide with curbs would make them appear to be regular roads with borders. Nope, stick with 2 lanes minimum. Sanded sides actually make those types of highways use 3 tiles, so not a good example to compare with curbs anyway.

=Ayes=

QFT ~~ -1 to OP

All of this can be avoided simply by creating highway bricks. Take more material to make. Are heavier than regular bricks. Or just allow paving with colossus brick. Can only be laid on gravel surface. Can't be destroyed. Can't be laid on deeds or perimeters except by deed holder. Can be one tile wide or two tile wide or a hundred tile wide if you want. And highways can only be paved by a minimum of paving skill level. This will prevent non premium from laying highways all over the place.

As for other deeds, you really should get some kind of permission from them to lay a highway within a few tiles of their deed line. It's the considerate thing to do.

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 3

I also think the sanded highways look ugly and very much out of place after recently building one. They can easily destroy the look of an entire area with their yellow horror. Two tile or perhaps three tile pavement should be enough or there should be another pavement for it.

Edited by Tsetse

I also think the sanded highways look ugly and very much out of place after recently building one. They can easily destroy the look of an entire area with their yellow horror. Two tile or perhaps three tile pavement should be enough or there should be another pavement for it.

I would rather see the highway rule removed. Deed It or Lose It, as foisted upon us, overrides this simply because it says if you didn't pay for it, you don't own it and you have no control over it. People can control large areas of land and dictate KoS rules for current and future people who Deed It or Lose It simply because they take 10 minutes to slap down 2 tiles wide or drop sand and have a forever lasting, unpaid for, Deed It or Lose It overriding brick attached to some dirt.

The Highway Rule is "having your cake and eating it too" and one or the other has to go. 

Edited by Audrel

I like the idea of a different brick or at least a different pavement skin that can only be applied to highway projects. Then all existing highways get reskinned to the new look. Then we can drop the borders.

Local community roads need not be highways.

• Like 1