Sign in to follow this  
Hashirama

Newbie Trading Guide

I made this guide to clarify some of the things that the newbie's don't understand. People often tell stuff like "I will get you banned if you cancel the deal now" and shiit, to make the newbies do deal in haste. I believe every newbie should read this article and then start making the deals. I will give points on the things to be careful about when making deals.

1) There is no trading on  chaos. If someone is trying to sell you anything on chaos, they will most likely kill you and take your stuff unless they have a heart of gold.

2) Ask players in freedom,global chat if you are unsure about some aspects of the deal. Do not rush a decision. Folks with bad reputations will be known by those that have good reputations for dealings. Of like if you are unsure about a persons reputation, ask in global or freedom chat.

3) Do not succumb to a player's threats, these can be of different types, I will go category wise:

• "Dude, I am already on my way, if you cancel the deal now, I will do GM support ticket to ban you."
  • "Dude, what kind of person are you, I will ruin your reputation if you don't buy it from me now."
  • "You promsied to sell it to me yesterday, now you got a better offer so you are backing out" (Make no promises ever, tell the player that you got a better offer, if he/she offers more than that, then you will surely accept it.)

Whatever your actions are, always remember, it's not compulsory to deal once you have agreed to one deal, you may ask a person to come to your deed after sailing for 5 hours and say "no I do not want to deal", but keep in mind, that is the worst thing to do. But just as a big fact, No one can hang you for refusing a deal if you don't feel it fit. I will explain it again.

A player has to keep in mind, its not compulsory to make a deal once you have agreed to someone, BUT if you are unsure of the deal, do not make it until you have confirmed it. Asking someone to come to you and later telling them to go back is not good. No one can hang you for that, but just imagine yourself in such a position where you travel for 1 hour and are told that the deal was off.

So rule of thumb is wait, think, ask for advice before making any big deals. Smaller deals you can make yourself and get experience in trading.

4) Often it's a question, what is mailbox and how does it work?

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mailbox

Check out this link, it explains what mailbox is, how to use it, what are the charges you have to pay to use it.

5) Rushing a decision: I just can't stop emphasizing on this one.

You never give someone 10 euro/silver for a cart. You always ask people before doing deals. From personal experience, when I was new I always asked experienced and trusted friends of mine before selling or buying anything. Remember, DO NOT RUSH A TRADE or DECISION.

6) Make a forum account, its the best way to buy and sell stuff. It may seem new and you might not be comfortable with it, but if you have a forum account, you can check out the entire market of freedom isles, not just your server market or local trade. You will know all the various prices that people offer, and it will help you make a better decision.

7) Auctions: Auctions are fun in wurm trading, there is a section of Auctions on forums. Do not bid if you don't have the money, because if you bid and retract all the time in auctions, people might stop considering your bids on future auctions.

8) Never ever cheat in deals, do not think stuff like "no one can do anything if i do not give this guy money for the 10 hours he has been working on my deed." Indeed, no one can do anything to you, no GM action on you as well. But you won't last long here, people will never deal with you, never help you, and your entire market reputation will be in dumpsters because always remember: Reputation is everything in this game.

9) Be honest, have fun and enjoy the trade. If you ever need pricing on any items, feel free to post on freedom chat by typing "/shout <message>" or on global chat by typing "/gshout <message>"

10) Rare/Supreme/Fantastic items: While it may seem to a new player that a Rare/Supreme/Fantastic item is no better than a normal item. I think they should know, we wurmians have a liking for Shiny stuff. We will pay a huge sum of money for them. So, if you make lets say a Rare file of 20 QL, and your neighbour asks you to sell it to him just like an ordinary file, but offers 20 copper for it. Then ask in global and freedom chat which I mentioned in the point 9. Rare tools, and in this case file, will sell for 3-5 silver in my opinion. And yes, you can always find people paying more, or people not paying anything at all. Isn't it amazing? If you make 2 rare tools, you are ready to pay your own premium. Classy isn't it? Yep, that's why if you don't know the pricing, do not sell it to your neighbour before asking to others via global or freedom chat.

11)  Similiar to point 8, do not think of making people work for you for hours and then using point 3 to trick them, It will destroy your reputation, and people will not talk to you, deal with you, and once again "Reputation is everything in Wurm".

12) PC= Price check, WTS=Want to sell, WTB= Want to buy, WTA= Want to auction, WTT= Want to trade. (WTF right? :P) These are some common short forms used in everyday trade in wurm.

13) Time Frames on Work orders or Jobs: If you give a person a time frame, and need an extension be aware they might be on a time frame for you're completed work as well, don't under estimate how long it might take you to complete a work order or job.

14) Buying and selling accounts: It is not a GM's responsibility to see if your trading of an account went smoothly or not, so whenever buying or selling accounts, make sure to have a good idea of who you are buying it from or who you are selling it to. For absolutely new players, I suggest do not buy any accounts until you have played the game a little and it will not only help you get to know the different people of the community better, but also will help you decide what skillset accounts you need.

So rule of thumb: Ask people for price check, do not rush a trade (that is asking people to come and trade right away, if you are not sure of a pricing, ask others, ask everyone!,but do not rush a decision). Use forums to get an idea of the individual price of items.

This article is open to any other guidelines that I have missed, any players who know what I missed, please PM me or post here and I will add it to the article.

These are just guidelines, I cannot tell you what to do. But, I can share my experience with you in hope of getting you a better experience of this game. Please try the trading aspect of this game which is really fun apart from the other awesome aspects of this game. Refer this game to your friends and family if you like it please :) Enjoy your time in Wurm Online.

Edited by Hashirama
  • Like 10

Reserved for future edits.

Please note, I will never mention any names in the "Instances of people" section.

Credits to People for helping in editting:
Gaul,Stormblade.

Please let me know if any better suggestions, can post here or PM me anytime.

Edited by Hashirama

I think it is a great starting point for newbies to do a price check or perhaps just a general search in forums for stuff they really don't know the value of, although it would be my guess that not many newbies would read the forums.  However, bump to anything that could help newbies get a great start in Wurm :)

• Like 1

Nice post. Next time any new players asks about trading i will provide this link 

Edited by Gaul
  • Like 1

Sums it up nicely. Good job. Its a decent start for new joiners.

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Samool, January 17, 2015 - Hidden on OP's request
Hidden by Samool, January 17, 2015 - Hidden on OP's request

Good post OP, I got one story too.

There was once a guy called Overpowered (or short, OP - of course not his real name because we cannot give that) that promised a seryll great helm to the winner of a Q&A contest he organized. Halfway through the contest he left without explanation because he did not like fact that everyone was questioning his questions and what answers he did consider correct were in fact incorrect. According to the OP, OP infringed rules 8, 9 and 11 of the rules OP wrote.

Now typically, reputation SHOULD mean everything but you see, wurm rules prevent that from happening, because naming and shaming is not allowed. So basically this player continues to live just fine with no fear of consequences.

Thus, I would put a word of caution to any new players - all trades, no matter with whom - are dangerous. Take all precautions but still be emotionally prepared that you might loose items (hopes, dreams, time etc.) in the worst case scenarios.

Nice guide.

That Knarr story is so sad.

Oh that story, my friend was trolling me very badly with an alt. Jeez, anyways removed that part from the guide.