Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Safety First!

Recent happenings made me realize that an article containing all known safety tips and guides should be made.
Please keep this thread clean of discussion about that though.

Want me to add something to it? Just make a post below with it and I'll try to edit the thread, so it can have as much useful information as possible.
Well, let's start!

Account safety

Make sure your account's password as well as your e-mail account's one is hard to guess and different from eachother. Also, don't give your account data to anyone untrusted, or even better, anyone. Even GMs won't ever ask for your password.

Additionally, if you have multiple game accounts, it's best to make them all have separate e-mail accounts and passwords. That way you ensure that in case someone gains access to one of your accounts, the other ones will still remain safe.

It's best to change passwords regularly -  if someone thinks that they have gained access to your account, the password may be changed already!

Check your computer for any malware software that could steal your account credentials. If you aren't sure that the computer is fully clean of such programs, don't use the Remember password option in launcher. Don't use that option at all if you are logging in on a computer you don't own.

Don't share your account. I mean it, don't. It's never fully safe, no matter what way will you do that.
You really have to? Well, then follow these steps.
  • Don't share the e-mail account that the character is registered with. 
  • The game account's password should be different than password to your e-mail account.
  • Make sure you trust the people you share the game account with.
  • Make sure that the people you share the account don't plan to break the game rules. Penalties can be put on the account, and in effect, you might even lose it.
  • Don't ever be sure about your shared account's safety, because you can't. Try to not share accounts.

TL;DR don't share your accounts

Vehicles

Lock your vehicles! Attach a lock to your cart/boat as soon as you create it. Everyone can use and access the inventory of unlocked one.
Make sure you set the permissions of the vehicle right after locking it too. You can do that by right-clicking it and using Manage vehicle option.
Check your vehicle permission settings and examine it after crossing every server border too. It can sometimes bug out and leave you with changed settings or removed lock.

Additionally, try to keep your vehicles in locked places, like houses or just locked pens on deed. That ensures the full safety of it.

Houses

House alone doesn't ensure the items inside are safe. Keep the important stuff inside fully locked structures, putting it inside locked containers doesn't hurt as well. Don't put anyone untrusted as guest on the writ, as it allows them to do pretty much everything with the house.

Try to attach locks to every door in the house to ensure full safety. You never know if one day flying will be added and someone will fly into your house through the balcony! (well, maybe  not)

Deeds

It's important to be reasonable when giving your villagers or allies permissions on your deed. Think twice before you allow people to do anything that could do harm to your settlement.

Deed settings are sometimes pretty confusing. Permissions are explained here:

There are some other things worth knowing though:
  • Destroy option overrides house writs settings. That means everyone with Destroy option enabled will be able to bash everything on the deed, just like the mayor can. House with a wall bashed down means that items inside can be taken by everyone with pick-up permissions so be very careful with giving that option to anyone. It's really best to keep this option off for everyone and just bash for them.

• Planting is overriden by the pick-up role so nope, planting your lamps/hota statues/banners/flags and everything else that is plantable, doesn't mean it'll be safe. Try to keep your most valuable planted items in a locked, on-deed place.

If you are in a large alliance and have multiple deeds, it's best to have your alliance permissions set so your allies won't be able to do much there by themselves. You can set permissions for your other deeds separately by making a role with its name. Remember though that this includes everyone in the deed of the role you added. Make sure people have limited permissions of inviting someone else to the deed with a lot of permissions allowed.

You can use an alt to test how/if the permissions set by you work properly. Or if you aren't sure, just ask on the forum or in-game chats.

Deeds can also be set as democracy - that means the mayor can be voted out, and effectively, lose the deed. I don't recommend setting it that way, but if you do, make sure that only trusted people have permission to invite other people to the deed.

Item keeping

Safest way of keeping items is actually having them in your own inventory of a character that was premium at least once - that way, excluding decay of course, they shouldn't ever disappear.
What if you actually don't want to waste your precious inventory space? Try placing a merchant (cost of 10s, less if you buy the contract from someone else) - put the items on it and set them to some crazy price so people won't actually buy them.
You could also store items in inventory of a free alt account, but if you won't log in for 3 months, your items will be gone along with the whole character.

Pretty safe way is to keep items inside locked containers inside locked structures. If the items don't fit it a regular container, try using a vehicle, like wagon or a large cart. 
--------------

I have probably forgotten about a lot of other things during writing this, so I'll edit it with time. Please suggest in the comments or a PM what else can be added to it.

Happy (and safe!) Wurming!
Edited by Samool
  • Like 21

Nice post Samool - some really useful tips for everybody, not just new Wurmians

Edited by Outlaw

*There is a declare democracy option on resize also. (Not sure this overrides the other setting)

*When you create settings for your good neighbour that you have known like forever, keep in mind that your neighbour might temporarily add for example a skilled crafter to deed.
If you allow your friends deed to do things on your deed, you also allow anyone that is added to her/his deed.

*If you sell an account, make sure to remove all friends and leave village first. Also tell your fellow villagers and allied that you are selling so they can all check their settings.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 7

If a character ever was premium, it won't be deleted. So if you have a non-prem alt which was prem at least once, you can safely store items in its inventory.

• Like 1

*When altering/setting deed settings, create an alt and test the settings yourself for all of the roles, ensuring that you cannot enter places, pickup items, destroy things that you do not want other people with those settings to do. Especially useful if you aren't 100% certain what certain settings limit. Also, if you aren't sure, ASK. People are more than willing to help answer your questions.

• Like 4

Thank you Samool.

If you have a once premium alt, use it as the writ, boat, and cart owner who has zero other friends.  Setting to friends (just you) allows the use of all the vehicles without ever having loose permissions. 

If you own two deeds, but are in an alliance also, use other deed as a specific role, by name, to allow you to do things other allies cannot.

Destroy turned of on all roles, always.  Any other villager asked to destroy, do it for them.  Explain it is for their protection, and offer to always destroy for them as soon as possible.

Put a dock tile just outside deed, so others can  load and unload, but never enable it on deed if possible, unless other villagers do trade.

*forgot to say thank you. :)

Edited by Onyr
  • Like 1

Some more things I can think of:

1. There was a bug (used to be on Xanadu) where if a door on the second or any upper storey of your house was unlocked, the whole house became unlocked.  For this reason it is probably good idea to always attach lock to all of your doors regardless of where in the house they are located.

2. For items larger than what can fit inside a chest, like spinning wheels, looms, forges, unfinished guard towers perhaps, another storage idea might be to use locked carts or wagons inside your writ.  You can store the more valuable items (like rare/supreme examples of said items) inside the locked carts or wagons, with horses hitched to the cart or wagon, inside a doughnut house, if needed.  Yes, it will be a pain to unload before using, but if you are not actively using them this may ensure they won't get stolen.  Luckily armour and weapon stands also fit onto wagons/carts, so you can effectively store your armour and weapons inside a locked cart this way if you want to.  Just make sure your cart/wagon has no permissions for anyone to open or unlock, and make sure you have lockpicking OFF on deed roles.

Oh, and tip on a side note:  A wise Wurmian told me the other day if you sac all your keys, all of those without active locks will poof, while the ones with locks somewhere will remain.  I got rid of 30 out of 39 keys that way! 

A few suggestions (all about account password):

- how much inconvenient that can be, if you have multiple characters, have all of them on different emails and have different passwords for each of them - this way, if one of them is compromised, you still have the other ones secure

- make sure that you use a password that is unique of your other passwords; like if your account on other game or site is compromised, they won't be able to also access your WURM assets

- make sure that the password is long enough, that it uses a combination of lowercadse, uppercase, numbers and special characters - a good tool to check for password security is this one: howsecureismypassword.net - a good example of password is something like: let's say I want to start from "one girl to rule them all" text which I can easily remember, from here I remove all spaces and capitalize the LAST (not first) letter of each world so it gets to onEgirLtOrulEtheMalL, now I replace some of the characters with numbers - let's go with something common 1 for i, 3 for e and 0 for o, so the password becomes on3g1rLt0rul3th3MalL - finally add a #@# combination at the middle of it (after 3 words) so it gets on3g1rLt0#@#rul3th3MalL - still easy to remember for you, but... "it would take a desktop PC about 194 septillion years to crack your password"

- always take extra precautions when logging for a computer which is not your own (like a friend's computer or a public computer like an internet cafe, library one) - most important is to not save computer on local computer, then, as soon as you get back home, change your password (just in case there were any key loggers or something)

- finally, no matter how safe your passwords, always change them regularly

Updated.

Didn't add everything posted here yet, but most of it.

Somehow I missed this post, maybe only because (I think) my settings are fine.

Very useful and nicely explained. Will save the link and share it with anyone asking about safety!

Settings are key. Permanent access to storage areas should only be given to your most trusted friends. Fence off and gate any protected areas. Use gatehouses for access to other areas and allow access only via the writ settings of the gatehouses, not by gates. But make certain of your deed settings! We, as Freedomers, sadly found this out recently.

A writ overrides a deed in almost all areas but one - destroy. If you allow destroying on your deed, you allow it on every writ on the deed it seems, regardless of the build setting of a writ, regardless of who owns the writ, regardless of even access settings per person to the writ. Mayors, this one is on you, sadly. It is up to you to protect your villagers from this.

EDIT: You added it. I should have got back and read your edit. Sorry. :-P

Edited by Audrel

Some thing else to remember on deed, default roles override custom roles. So the default Ally and Citizen roles over ride other roles you create. Or at least this is how it seemed to me when I was setting up.)

So be sure that those roles have the least amount of permissions and create new roles for Alliance villages or groups of citizens that you want to have more permissions.

Manage roles, do not use it!

Or if you do be sure that the role you have assigned it to you trust as you would trust yourself. It is a default override. If you give it to a role, (even a non village) roles, it's like that role has everything selected.

Before pickup was a role you could set manage roles to let a non-allied deed pick up from deed.

• Like 1

Heads up for this great guide everyone should have read it. How about adding this to the tutorial area on GV?

Should we add a section under vehicles for animals with gear (horseshoes etc)

Lots of unique hunts, some of which take place off deed.

Say I jump off my horse for a moment and get distracted. Is there anything stopping someone from taming my horse and taking all my fantastic shoes and saddle with 103 woa? (Yeah i'm exaggerating but you get my point now right?) ;)

Branding and caring for the animal doesn't restrict access. We can't "lock" the saddle or anything so "manage vehicle" actually does something. Are we all meant to run around with tamed horses? And doesn't that also open up the horse to griefing by pulling a mob nearby to attack it?

Do I need to purchase lojack? What's the best way to secure our horses and their gear?

TIA

• Like 1

Should we add a section under vehicles for animals with gear (horseshoes etc)

Say I jump off my horse for a moment and get distracted. Is there anything stopping someone from taming my horse and taking all my fantastic shoes and saddle with 103 woa? (Yeah i'm exaggerating but you get my point now right?) ;)

Branding and caring for the animal doesn't restrict access. We can't "lock" the saddle or anything so "manage vehicle" actually does something.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for this post, it had never occurred to me to check my boat permissions after a server crossing! My mental encyclopedia paranoica is updated :P

Manage roles still override pickup even inside houses where you not added as guest!

Some thing else to remember on deed, default roles override custom roles. So the default Ally and Citizen roles over ride other roles you create. Or at least this is how it seemed to me when I was setting up.)

So be sure that those roles have the least amount of permissions and create new roles for Alliance villages or groups of citizens that you want to have more permissions.

Manage roles, do not use it!

Or if you do be sure that the role you have assigned it to you trust as you would trust yourself. It is a default override. If you give it to a role, (even a non village) roles, it's like that role has everything selected.

Before pickup was a role you could set manage roles to let a non-allied deed pick up from deed.

I didn't mean to imply it didn't. Was just giving a example of it's use. Sorry about that.

Will say again. Manage roles very dangerous to use.