Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Challenge - Build the Battlefield!

+1

This is what the nay sayers get, almost every 'fix' suggestion for pvp servers was rejected by half and in many cases the minority. The development team is left with no choice but to start from scratch to finally satisfy the majority.

Please provide some evidence before you make the claim that the majority shares your opinion.

So far every poll that I have seen on the subject, the majority rejected the idea of working on a new pvp system.

We don't care. Our main concern is how it will split up the PvP population even more. Just don't add the ####### new server and put the features and events on current PvP servers. Any other option is plain stupid.

If Rolf does this, and introduces the Challenge server system to Steam, it's very possible that a lot of new players will migrate through the Challenge servers into servers where they can play a character long-term.

All of you guys on the existing PVP servers would be more than happy for lots of new blood to join you, but the new blood doesn't really like to be Roflstomped by people with years and years of in-game skillgain and absurdly high quality gear.

Sure, you can join Epic, and in a short time have respectable skills which will let you fight ubergoddood for thirty seconds, instead of dying in two hits.  Most PVP players don't play PVP just so they can be harvested by players that completely outclass them.

a point that Sulfurblade touched on is that by starting over from skill 1 is only gonna make the playfield equal for everyone on day 1.

At day 2 is not gonna be equal anymore.

Since some of us play 18hours per day, some play 8 hours per day, some play 2 hours per day, some play 1 hour per week

Is kinda blue eyed to think that by letting everyone start over from skill 1 is gonna make it more even for everyone.

Those that were ahead before, will be ahead once again.

In a pvp fight, who will win between the "40 year old single working mother with 2 kids" that plays 2 hours per day and the 15 year old "Elwood Junior" that plays 18hours per day.

The idea isn't that everybody will always have the same skills or be even. It's that everybody can get in the action quickly.

How effective you are with your skills doesn't increase in a linear way with time. That means if you grinded 20 hours and I grinded 5 hours, it doesn't mean you're 4 times better than me. There is a point where everything you do just has less of an impact.

For example, it might take you 2 days to get 70 large metal shield skill, but I play less so in 2 days time, I'm still at 45LMS. 2 days later, you're at 80LMS and I'm at 65LMS. A few days later, you're at 85LMS and I've passed 70 LMS.

At that point, you have the advantage, but the difference is minimal and won't make any difference in a real fight.

The point is, you just need a certain amount of skill to be useful in PvP. After that point, it helps to have higher skill, but it's not going to make a big difference.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 'ultra fast skilling'. I have no idea how fast it really is, but maybe it's fast enough to be able to have pvp ready skills within a few hours.

One suggestion is to maybe create more limits like the 70FS fighting limit, meaning skill gain until 70 is pretty decent, but after 70, it becomes significantly slower. It will result in accounts being much more equal in skill, but it will make your account "less unique" or special.

• Like 1

And then we will have priests, and everything will be about who can nuke who faster and who has the more OP spells.

And then we will have priests, and everything will be about who can nuke who faster and who has the more OP spells.

If they remember to allow more than 5 prayers a day....

• Like 1

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I LOVE this idea.

The problem with PVP in Wurm has always been the grind to get good enough, only to lose a chunk of it in moments. Skill loss, and especially gear loss, has always been a limiting factor in PVP activity.

With this type of gameplay, that becomes a non-issue.

You get back what you lost in perhaps hours, and are ready again.

I left Epic because of two things, drama and being out skilled due to others who had more time to grind.

With this game mode, at least the second one will be gone.

Until more testicles descend, the drama will most likely continue...

It's a game, this mode will make it feel more like one, and less like work.

And to those whining, it's just a trial.

If nobody likes it, the numbers will reveal that.

But, just like all the haters of every new game, each of you will still line up to try the new shiny.

Give it a chance, let it fly or die.

I wish it was out already. I can't wait to kill you guys

This will bring me back to wurm if it is implement as advertised...look forward to seeing some old folks on the battlefield in challenege.  :)

• Like 5

"Well this idea has a chance to fail, so let's just not bother doing it", seems a horrible way to go through life.

And I'd be very surprised if any improvements that come from this thing (e.g. the new siege weapons etc that were hinted in the announcement) didn't get transferred to the main servers if this idea does fail.

Ah its blackmail then... you bastard  :P

• Like 1

I can't wait to try it out, lets be honest it can't be much worse than the pvp in Wurm currently so it has to be a slight improvement?

• Like 2

I can't wait to try it out, lets be honest it can't be much worse than the pvp in Wurm currently so it has to be a slight improvement?

YESS

So even after 10 pages of Negative comments regarding this Failed concept...  according to the news your still going to push this thru???  Please don't waist our development dollars on this idea!

• Like 4

so is there going to be a replacement for dirtwalls being the standard deed defense or is it another 'feature' (bug that everybody got used to)?

so is there going to be a replacement for dirtwalls being the standard deed defense or is it another 'feature' (bug that everybody got used to)?

Dirt is still the standard, but you now can make concrete from lye and mortar and raise the rock so it can't be flattened like a dirt wall. 

The only thing you keep between rounds is titles earned, any remaining currency you have and what you are refunded from deeds etc.

We will announce that, prizes and competitive categories later.

Will we get a refund on the coin spent to start the deed or the tiles that were bought? This all seems like a cash grab to me.

Maybe you should have planned the rewards first before presenting this poor excuse of an update with empty hands.

So even after 10 people with Negative comments regarding this Failed concept...  according to the news your still going to push this thru???  Please don't waist our development dollars on this idea!

fixed

• Like 2

Will we get a refund on the coin spent to start the deed or the tiles that were bought? This all seems like a cash grab to me.

Maybe you should have planned the rewards first before presenting this poor excuse of an update with empty hands.

I haven't bought a deed on the new server yet, have you?

We don't know what sorts of cash shop or reimbursement options will be available.  I actually support not reimbursing extra land, though I think the default amount of land with a deed might be made a little larger if there is no reimbursement.

Small deeds mean more PVP.

How?

A very large deed with many people living in it can have extremely strong defenses in short order, and several players sharing cost can support a lot of templars on a large deed.

A very large deed with many people living in it can have extremely strong defenses in short order, and several players sharing cost can support a lot of templars on a large deed.

And few small deeds are the best thing to raid because no one will be there to defend it,

And fighting against templars is not consider PvP.

Take a number and divide it by 2.

Now take those 2 numbers and divide them again.

Now look at the size of the numbers in isolation, welcome to the PvP community of Wurm.

And few small deeds are the best thing to raid because no one will be there to defend it,

And fighting against templars is not consider PvP.

If there are lots of small deeds, and you have friends, then hopefully, your friends will help you.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Templar comment.  I agree that Templars are not PVP.

If there are lots of small deeds, and you have friends, then hopefully, your friends will help you.

Ok, I'm going to think that you are talking about what happens over on Chaos.

a server like this should start with 100 skills on everything.

craft your weapons and armor, build your defenses, kill each other.

having to grind even if its super fast grinding would get old fast.