I apologize if this has been suggested before, but might perhaps we have alder trees introduced to the game? They would be a unique tree with special abilities, similar to the cedar and how it resists decay. In the same family as the Birch, traditionally Alder has been renowned as a Faery tree, one to use as a portal to the Fae realm. Flutes carved from the Alder were said to be more efficient in attracting the attention of Air Elementals. It would be interesting to work some of these aspects into the game through the use of Alder logs and/or planks. 

Furthermore, on a practical level the alder is used in underwater construction. Something to do with the way it hardens up and "steels" itself when in contact with water. The majority of the city of Venice is built upon pilings of alder wood for this very reason. In game Alder would be most beneficial for underwater constructions. I.e. docks of some sort, bridges, and more I'm sure.

Just posting my thoughts as they come up. Maybe they are random or maybe they would be beneficial to others as well. Let me know your thoughts and how you might improve/expand on the idea!

Edited by Araninke

You made me look this up ^_^

http://www.dragonoak.com/Magical-Wood-Properties.html

I like almost anything that has a tinge of "natural magicks" to it.  I became a Fo priestess just for this though I would not mind also (or instead) something even more .. earthy.  I love trees so I am open to more trees although if I had to choose, I would stay with current trees and instead see more "nature magicks" -- lots of room for this with natural substances skill tree + current trees & herbs. 

Alchemy could have two skill branches: one for "hard" elements and one for "soft" elements.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

would like to see flute ingame =) anyway +1 to your suggestion

• Like 1

You made me look this up ^_^

http://www.dragonoak.com/Magical-Wood-Properties.html

I like almost anything that has a tinge of "natural magicks" to it.  I became a Fo priestess just for this though I would not mind also (or instead) something even more .. earthy.  I love trees so I am open to more trees although if I had to choose, I would stay with current trees and instead see more "nature magicks" -- lots of room for this with natural substances skill tree + current trees & herbs. 

Alchemy could have two skill branches: one for "hard" elements and one for "soft" elements.

I like that line of thinking, the Nature Magicks concept. I think it would fit in well with the current overall ethos of Wurm. As you mentioned, start with what is currently available and maybe expand on that some point in the future. We already have alchemical healing covers and the ability to cook casseroles and stews. Some sort of potion feature could be added with the natural magicks. That could where wood types, berries and herbs etc. come into play.

would like to see flute ingame =) anyway +1 to your suggestion

Thanks, Sin! Flute crafting would be cool. Along with them could be drums and rattles. 

• Like 1