Sign in to follow this  
bwg

[Poll] Total Materials vs Additional Materials

Since polling seems to be disabled for this section of the forum please hit "like" if you agree otherwise comment saying "-1" or whatever.

My suggestion is that the item template is changed so that instead of showing the additional items required to create an item it will show the total items required.  Even I, in my old wisdom, forget to include the two items in the creation box in my material gathering, so I believe it would greatly help.

Of course this would be a tedious task, updating every single item page to include the new totals, but I'm willing to do this myself if everyone is concerned about the amount of work involved. I also realise that some pages actually have a section for Total Items, but this is not consistent across the board and actually adds to the work required when creating a new page and/or updating for changes.

For those concerned about having misinformation on pages during this change, don'r fret!  I'll leave the current template in place and create a copy, named ItemBox with the new functionality, this will allow me to use the current item template as a checklist for covering all of the changes.

TLDR; My proposal would mean consistency across all item pages; having the total items required to craft something listed in the info box to the left rather than additional.  Giving players a nice and simple way of knowing what to prepare in advance.

If I get a majority yes vote by the weekend I'll begin then, unless of course Mama or someone else overrules me.

Edited by bwg
  • Like 12

As a user i would rather see a total so i can grab everything at once before making the item. I know there are somethings that already have this in the description like the large cart that gives a total materials list and i use it all the time when i am building a cart. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 5

As a user i would rather see a total so i can grab everything at once before making the item. I know there are somethings that already have this in the description like the large cart that gives a total materials list and i use it all the time when i am building a cart. 

I'm glad we're in agreement!

there are 672 pages that use the item template

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Item

I know and I'm up for the challenge.  Does this mean you support my suggestion?

+1 to total material.

Its going to take work but as much as the wiki is used universally, its probably worth the effort to change, and apparently we have a volunteer :)

To be honest it will take but a few seconds per page.  All I'm going to be doing is changing 2 values on most pages and hitting save, maybe removing any Total Materials sections.  For ones where there is only one of the starting materials it'll be a copy/paste job, so likely just as quick, then there's ones where the starting item is actually a tool.  10 seconds per page I'm guessing - should have it done in a few man hours - spread out over the weekend.

Edited by bwg

+1 to either this, which is preferable, or at least making all the pages CLEAR and consistent about the items that are needed. Some seem to be total, some seem to be additional plus the ones listed, and then there's a batch that aren't clear which they are. A lot of times I end up one or two items short of the total from the way they're written. I think iron fences of some sort is one of these, it's hard to remember how many fence bars you need; either that or one of the stone walls is one of them.

To be honest it will take but a few seconds per page.  All I'm going to be doing is changing 2 values on most pages and hitting save, maybe removing any Total Materials sections.

The current total material sections contain the overall materials needed. So there's still a difference between what should go in the box and the "overall material" section.

Personally I don't like changing it because I feel the risk there that it might end up half done. I've seen way to many wiki-translators who were willing to work their ass off just to vanish shortly after.

The total material section is not on all of the pages, many lack it.  Once I'm finished, since it seems the overwhelming majority support my doing this, there will be no such thing as additional materials.

This concept will cease to be. It'll be expired and gone to meet 'is maker! A stiff! Bereft of life, resting in peace & pushing up the daisies!

Also, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Total or additional, I don't care either way

But ... I'm concerned about yet another option for another item template. I'd like to see a commitment to removing the old one once this is done.

Should have both, additional in the usual spot, with total on the page

Some items such as boats have additional materials that are complex items themselves, while the total materials counts for everything

Should have both, additional in the usual spot, with total on the page

Some items such as boats have additional materials that are complex items themselves, while the total materials counts for everything

I guess I'll retain total for where there's complex ingredients then, my idea of total ingredients should always go down to the very base, rather than just the last steps, so this would be good for preventing confusion.

Edited by bwg

We should follow what the game shows as needed for continue actions. A page can always have a heading followed by a list for very base materials, like what we see for ships.

the crafting recipes list what you need to start and additional items in the other list, gathering the information should be rather easy.

i appreciate the attempt :)

I have an overwhelming response in support of this so I'm going to begin.  Where there are subcomponents which also need to be created I'll include a wiki section for Total also, which will include all base materials required.

Edited by bwg
  • Like 1

BWG!

You said you were, "up to the challenge" and tried to play down the effort it would take to finish this project. Well its its been 6 months and this project isn't done yet. I"m only typing this today because I see you doing other stuff. Come on! You got time to do this and that but won't finish what you started? 

As of this writing there are 400 and something entries that still need to be converted.

If you knew how busy my real life has been these past months you would understand. I've only in the past few weeks been able to return to the game in the same level as before.

The job will be done, thank you for helping make a dent in the list already.

Edit: To note, most of the pages that have 'additional' materials were or have been updated to the new template, anything else only has a 2 step creation process so these aren't as urgent.  Needless to say they do need updating, which I'm doing.

Edited by bwg

All one needs to do at this point is add three letters. Simply change "{{item" to  "{{itemBox".  Sometimes I have spent some time looking at the page and changing a few things but really I could have just added those three letters and moved one.

I was more annoyed that you started to do other things without first continuing to plug away at this beast.

+1 most want to know what they need in total to do something. Your suggestion is more intuitive.  If you are up to the job of editing each on the template, who am I to stop crazy hehehe.   That would be a wonderful change and thankless work so I thank you ahead of time if you take this project on.

It's been delayed but it's definitely coming.  Most items that have multiple ingredients are already done, the ones left use the old template but that doesn't matter since they don't have a 'total' section.  So as far as the 'end-user' is concerned it's pretty much done.

When I first noticed it was being changed, I didn't like it all too much. I guess because I was used to the additional materials instead for a long time. But I'm glad this process has been going on for some time now and I actually favour the total materials, too :)