Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

We now recommend PlayerAuctions.com for trading

Ever since the beginning of Wurm we have allowed and even encouraged account, coin, and item sales because we never felt comfortable with the restrictions on that in other MMO’s. Playing those games we thought such restrictions limited us in a way that only benefited the game developers.

We think you as a player should be allowed to convert your endeavours since you spend so much time in these games trying to create or find value and goodies. Apart from our general sandboxiness this is still an area where we stand out a bit in the industry. As many of you are aware Wurm Online is actually designed around the notion that our players should create and sell the valuables in between themselves.

Up until now, most trading has taken place in various sections of our official forums. This is not ideal since forums make for pretty poor marketplaces and we never intended for it to become a marketplace.

Historically, we have suggested “sites such as Ebay” for auctions, but unfortunately their support for digital goods is nonexistant.

We are now very happy to recommend Player Auctions, which is a serious marketplace who will protect both sellers and buyers. From now on we encourage our users to conduct their third party business there.

That’s why we suggest you to go to the Wurm Online section found at http://www.playerauctions.com/wurm-online-products and create an account today!

Happy trading,

Rolf

CEO Code Club AB

Player Auctions Logotype

• Like 1

Will our in game user names here in Wurm, be reserved for us there?

Will our in game user names here in Wurm, be reserved for us there?

No. You will need to create a new account to buy/sell on there. All dependant on if someone else from many other games has took that name already.

Why should I buy on PlayerAuctions?

Low Prices: Prices set by other players or PowerSellers on PlayerAuctions are significantly lower than the high markups you would find on expensive retail sites.

Guaranteed Security: PlayerAuctions is quite simply the most secure place to buy and sell MMO game assets. Through PlayerGuardian, you are 100% guaranteed full and as-described delivery, or your money back.

Reliable Delivery Speed: PlayerAuctions calculates each seller's average delivery speed from the seller's latest successfully completed deliveries, which gives you a clear idea of how fast the seller will deliver your order.

Edited by Stinky

Well i seen a power leveling option mentioned in their site this seems odd to me also we have already established trade on the forums and have been using that for years.  Why should we change now only to give a share to a third party system? 

no thanks

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 4

Well i seen a power leveling option mentioned in their site this seems odd to me also we have already established trade on the forums and have been using that for years.  Why should we change now only to give a share to a third party system? 

no thanks

I'm with Kegan on this. Anyone who buys anything on the forums understands risks, and not every seller is a crook. WHY punish every good seller and buyer for the actions of a few bad apples?

So what is next? That the forum outright forbids us from selling anything on it concerning Wurm?

You know, the movement for the past 8 months or so seems to be "We just want to collect your money now, we don't want to deal with you or be bothered with anything" 

• Like 1

I'm with Kegan on this. Anyone who buys anything on the forums understands risks, and not every seller is a crook. WHY punish every good seller and buyer for the actions of a few bad apples?

So what is next? That the forum outright forbids us from selling anything on it concerning Wurm?

You know, the movement for the past 8 months or so seems to be "We just want to collect your money now, we don't want to deal with you or be bothered with anything" 

As I have been speaking to Rolf, the understanding is this is merely an "option".

No one is stopping you from trading as normal here. It is just an "option". An "option" someone may use if their account is worth $500+ and they don't want to "trust" another user.

Well good luck with it i guess i don't think anyone will be using your "option" we already have trusted people buying and selling and have been doing just fine. The only thing it will cause me to do is distrust newer accounts even more as your presents will likely bring with it more shady characters then we previously had before. 

• Like 4

It makes sense to me to use something that offers protection to both buyers and sellers when selling things like accounts or maybe lots of gold worth several hundred €. It does not make any sense to try and sell in game items such as tools, bulk orders etc. I think the intentions of this "recommend" site for trading are a little vague and wonder if there will be a later movement to move all trade there instead of the Wurm Forums. Frankly I don't want to have to check back and forth between 2 sites unless I'm looking to buy that $500 character or deed. 

So I went and signed up so that I am the real me even if I never use the site. For those that it matters too I found they only allow for a 99bit encryption on your password but it does allow for most symbols. 

Edited by KryoKitten

So true, boat ownership removed, legal enclosures removed, the list could go on. Why not just come out and say "Sorry guys, the GM Staff doesn't want to have to do anything except the bare minimum. In fact, we just want to be able to say Sorry, out of luck! to dam near any request the player base has.

What kind of % do they take?

The cost is typically 10% + $0.99 per transaction. Whilst people may complain this is high, and you can just get coins from the game directly for cheaper - it could be a good market for people with excess coins who are selling for cheaper than the game itself, but want a more secure method.

And for anyone who asks, no I am not affiliated with Playerauctions, I am merely a user of it. I see the pro's and con's of using the website. I was once sceptical, however it has made me a lot of money, and saved me from a lot of reversals.

Some people may not think much of it now, but when this game gets a lot bigger it will probably be adopted more.

*The following is all from my own personal experience*

As someone with experience using PlayerAuctions (I've bought/sold items and gold in a lot of different MMO's over the years using their service) they are useful for certain trades.

In other games, with less reputable sellers, I wouldn't dare trust someone I met in-game to send them 200e for an item. I'd never see that money again.

I find Wurm to be different though. There are many reputable buyers/sellers here and you can tell at a glance who they are. It might be tough at first to build a reputation, but do a few trades and people will know.

Now, for the main info on PA.

They take quite a large cut, with seemingly no cap. (I've spent $500 at once on there and still paid 10% fee + Paypal Fee)

They REQUIRE Identification for large trades. This means sending them pictures of your ID, whether that is Passports, Utility Bills etc.

(For this reason, I had to break my large trade up into many smaller transactions, I believe they ask for ID after the $200 mark, although that is just an estimation. They asked for this even after having over 100 successful purchases/sales totals to my name. I would not trust sending this info to them.)

Sometimes their transactions 'fail to authorize'. I had to go through Paypal and demand a chargeback from them to get back $150 after they failed to release it back to me. Their customer service is pretty terrible too. I did get the money back, but only after escalating the case with paypal and waiting 2-3 weeks)

All in all, I wouldn't recommend using them with Wurm trades unless trading with a completely unknown person. Most people selling things worth a lot of money will have a reputation on here anyway.

If anyone has any questions about PlayerAuctions, send me a PM...I've used them quite a bit, although to be honest its only because there are no better options. They work quite well, but its costly.

I wouldn't call them shady, they handle a LOT of trades every day and their methods work (mostly). It's just a pain and extra hassle, not to mention sometimes waiting 2-3 days for payments to clear through their systems etc.

• Like 3

Yeah its a nice idea but i defently wont be using their service, the old way worked just fine and tbh it sounds like more effort than its worth

Well i know one thing, i certainly wouldn't be sending copies of my passport or utility bills to a website that is nothing more than a gold farmers market and i find it extremely disappointing to see Code Club recommending the use of such a "service" that encourages breaking the terms and conditions of other MMO's.

• Like 15

Well i know one thing, i certainly wouldn't be sending copies of my passport or utility bills to a website that is nothing more than a gold farmers market and i find it extremely disappointing to see Code Club recommending the use of such a "service" that encourages breaking the terms and conditions of other MMO's.

Well said i can tell i am going to run out of likes today, lol

Well said i can tell i am going to run out of likes today, lol

I don't think there are enough frying pans in all of wurm to cook the amount of popcorn that's going to be needed today :P

• Like 3

Wurmians are a smart bunch. We're not going to make a transaction with players that require real cash who do not have verified accounts ( ie, Paypal ).  The majority of auctions I've seen are easily handled with game available coin anyway.

What this looks like to me is CodeClub is getting a cut of the revenue PlayerAuctions takes off the top of transactions.  While this helps CodeClub with currency leaving the game (players converting game coin to real cash), I believe CodeClub missed an opportunity here. The player market has currently decided on a 1:1 ratio of silver:euro, while CodeClub charges 10:16 ratio of silver:euro.  If players could get the same value for their dollar from CodeClub as they could from <insert Player Name>, It would take less coin out of circulation and eliminate any potential headaches

no one will ever use it because it's going to take a cut, just like craigslist is better than ebay

• Like 2

Wurmians are a smart bunch. We're not going to make a transaction with players that require real cash who do not have verified accounts ( ie, Paypal ).  The majority of auctions I've seen are easily handled with game available coin anyway.

What this looks like to me is CodeClub is getting a cut of the revenue PlayerAuctions takes off the top of transactions.  While this helps CodeClub with currency leaving the game (players converting game coin to real cash), I believe CodeClub missed an opportunity here. The player market has currently decided on a 1:1 ratio of silver:euro, while CodeClub charges 10:16 ratio of silver:euro.  If players could get the same value for their dollar from CodeClub as they could from <insert Player Name>, It would take less coin out of circulation and eliminate any potential headaches

Not really. The player market ratio is based on the store ratio. If codeclub sells 10 silver for 10 euro, the player rate will drop below that. Players can't sell silver back to codeclub, so silver is worth a below store price value once it's in rotation. It's like buying a car, once you leave the store, it's instantly worth 40% less because you can't sell it back, you have to find someone willing to buy it, and they are never gonna pay the new price.

• Like 2

I don't think there are enough frying pans in all of wurm to cook the amount of popcorn that's going to be needed today :P

HAHAHA!!  :lol:

Not really. The player market ratio is based on the store ratio. If codeclub sells 10 silver for 10 euro, the player rate will drop below that. Players can't sell silver back to codeclub, so silver is worth a below store price value once it's in rotation.

Not all silver -> dollar sellers do it to 'cash out', but merely out of opportunity.  Often, this coin doesn't need to leave the game. Players have valued silver at a 1:1, not at a "cheaper than CodeClub" rationale.

Not all silver -> dollar sellers do it to 'cash out', but merely out of opportunity.  Often, this coin doesn't need to leave the game. Players have valued silver at a 1:1, not at a "cheaper than CodeClub" rationale.

Wrong, both in facts and "logic". They valued it 1:1 when the price was 10 silver for 16 euro in the store. When the price was 10 silver for 10 euro before the price hike, they valued it 0,6-0,7:1 .

• Like 2

First off, it's great to have an alternative with an official feedback system.

For me however the sad truth is that playerauctions.com is a business, not so much a service. Granted it does provide a service, but it's primary business is to profit. If a wurmian was to create a website and use an official licensed auction site software package, they could provide an auction service dedicated to wurmians, by wurmians, for very little cost to the people using it. Charging sellers 1% would be enough to maintain the cost of running that site, if enough of wurm's community participated.

Will that happen? Not sure, so many players are used to the forums here and view it as some sort of "officially sanctioned" area, it'll be hard to convince enough to switch to make it worth while. It can be done however.

So, will playerauctions.com pan out for wurm use? Maybe, but I don't think enough will utilize it. The majority of things we sell on a day to day basis would not prove profitable after fees are paid for listing/selling said items. It's seemingly best suited to bulk buys or high cost items or accounts.

Edited by Nomadikhan