Sign in to follow this  
Mozdog

How to build the Rowboat?

I finally am building my very first boat, I have always wanted one and I finally got the time and patience to do so! Alright, I will list all the materials I have done and will need to do below>

• 2x Oar [NOT DONE]
  • 1x Mooring rope [WILL RECIEVE FROM FRIEND]
  • 70x Peg (20x for stern) [WORK IN PROGRESS    24/70]
  • 60x Tenon (10x for stern) [COMPLETED]
  • 61x Hull plank (11x for stern) [WILL RECIEVE FROM FRIEND/ACHIEVE ON OWN]
  • 10x Tar [COMPLETED]
  • 4x Seat [NOT DONE]
  • 3x Keel section [NOT DONE]

I have a few questions...

1. Do I need THREE keel sections?

2. When all materials are done, does it take a long time to combine them all?

3. How can I get a high QL log if my boat comes out lower than 10?

4. Can I rename the completed boat at any time?

5. Will I be able to go to any server with the boat?

6. Can I make the boat for ONLY myself?

7. Does this whole process take a long time?

8. How do I build the boat exactly? (details on whole procedure)

I cannot wait until I am done and finally have my own boat! It just takes a long time to make and get the materials, and in that one question do I need to wait a long time to build it with all materials? Wish me luck I will update that list when I work on the materials some more!

Edited by Mozdog

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rowboat

1) Yes

2) Depends (on material quality, your shipbuilding skill, what you consider "long"). Plan on most of a day at low skill + low quality parts. 

3) Ask someone in local, a single 20-30Q log is usually free (if you are on Indy let me know). Or look around for one someone left by the roadside. 

4) Yes

5) Except epic servers

6) Yes (needs a BOAT LOCK so you can set manage permissions, otherwise expect it to get stolen). 

7) Isn't this #2?

8. See WURMPEDIA link above and repeat three times after me, "the wiki is my FRIEND"

You will probably fail a lot attaching the pieces esoeally if a log over 10Q is considered "high quality" to you

Be stubborn -- wurm loves stubborn people --  it could be worse, you could be trying to build a KNARR

pss -- I believe you can no longer build them inside a large cart and have them "pop out" at the shoreline, since you are a returning player you might be used to hearing people talk about using carts. It should be near the water in a secure location (or someone else will finish it and become legal owner) unless you can find a player who can operate a ship transporter for you. 

Anchors are also useful but the boat lock is essential, kk? Do not skip the lock or "wait till later" for it, have the lock ready ahead of time.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Some logs I was using before had 50 QL, but after getting everything its combining it I need to figure out... What I meant by "long" is it almost like building a house, using a hammer to build a wall hopeing it won't fail. Im asking this because I saw someone build a Knarr and they had to do something like I explained. It could be that or just taking the keel sections, combining them, and all materials into the inventory leave and build right in themselves. Its hard to explain this but I don't want this to become my all week project... :P

You have to attach each piece a single piece at a time and you will fail a lot at first.  Like building a house, yes. Maybe worse, depends how big of a house you mean. 

Whether it takes "all week" depends on parts quality, ship building skill, and your patience at sitting there a long time and failing to attach a lot. If you get restless easily you may have a hard time doing it in one go. 

You already know there are over 200 pieces and probably can take 30-300 seconds per piece (if you fail or overqueue a lot).  So you are not going to get it done in an hour or two. Welcome to Wurm. Also you cannot pick it up and carry it, though you can push/shove it (a painful torture if you have more than 1-2 tiles to go). If the ground is at water level you can drag it but it gets stuck if there is even a little incline (I think 3-5 dirt level, or maybe the height of your ankle) and you are then back to push/shove. 

I understand now, also need to find a safe place to build the boat. SO one piece at a time will take longer but YES this is Wurm my friend said the same thing! So what I need to start building, once I have everything I place the keel sections at a safe area, then put the pieces on the boat until it finally gets completed and can set sail. Thanks for the help though now I know what I need to do after I finish making all of these things!

One thing you can do to make your boat building faster is to increase the overall skill you gain from the boat. You can do this by improving all the parts that allow that, before you start adding anything to the boat. For example, you make all the needed keel sections, oars, seats and improve them as far as your skill and Wood quality allows. At the beginning, this won't be far, but by imping those items you'll have gained a bit more skill, allow slightly greater success rates on adding items to the boat. Use sleep bonus on this improving if you can, improving is much better skillgain than actually building the boat.

Depending on your wood supply, it can be very beneficial if you discard low quality "fail" parts - tennons, hull planks, pegs etc, and only use those above whatever threshold you deem appropriate. For your first rowboat, if you have 25 woodcutting, you could decide to discard anything below ql 15, for example.

Also you can improve woodcutting by turning every pile of woodscraps you run across, into kindling.  When I was new,  I used to do this because I did not want to randomly chop down perfectly good trees and leave them to rot, so I Kindling'ed every random pike of scraps I came across. 

(If I recall Mozdog was in the middle of a cross server journey so wanting the boat ASAP for that, but yes if you have a house and storage space and time, I always suggest first imping up all the parts to get your skill up, before you even start building). 

Just a note you can drag a ship transporter...but it will take you FOREVER if it is not near the water.

I think that depends on the character, I dragged one pretty easy (not THAT slow; about equivalent to a loaded Large Cart) for a newer player who tried to build a sailboat away from water (he needed help with the Load/Unload functions). But when he tried to drag it back it quickly became clear that was NOT a very good idea and I came back to pull it for him. (That was on a char of mine with 40+ body strength). So they are surely very heavy to pull but how slow depends on the character.

His character probably cannot load/unload the boat (23 BodyStr) even if he were able to build (15 Fine Carp) and drag it.  

(If I recall Mozdog was in the middle of a cross server journey so wanting the boat ASAP for that, but yes if you have a house and storage space and time, I always suggest first imping up all the parts to get your skill up, before you even start building). 

Wow your good, unless you saw my other post or heard about it somewhere else...

I will go with your trick on the wood scraps might be a good idea! I wanted to go make everything first then setup and start building the boat itself.