Meditation skill gains  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Meditation skill gain changes

• leave it the way it is, random gains and move 10 tiles apart
    • always gain skill, no need to move tiles
    • always gain, move 10 tiles
    • random gains, no need to move tiles
    • dont care

Meditation must be the most frustrating skill to level up.

At least for me it is, i try to do it and its always fail after fail

to get any skills in it. i suspect we as a community dont know

very much yet how to maximize getting the most gains from

it without failing to get skill ticks. Either way I would welcome a

change to how it works.

suggestion is to make it like Faith gains where you never fail to

get a skill gain tick, and that you can use the same tile repeatedly.

or if you have different ideas on how to make it better, lets hear them.

The only skill that isn't super easy to figure out. I like it how it is. 

Make it how it was one day one when you kept gettin skill no matter what and people got to 70 in one night. lol...

The only skill that isn't super easy to figure out. I like it how it is. 

The only change I'd support is removing the need to move around. It's a joke to comply, but it seems like a dumb annoyance to have to move to the other side of the deed from where I am working just to meditate.

• Like 3

Leave it the way it is, but remove the moving.  It doesn't make meditating any easier or harder, it's just an annoyance that doesn't do anything

• Like 3

It's too easy. They should change it so you can only get skill gain on a specific spot on one random server per wurm eclipse, but not tell us which one.

ok, sarcastic kidding aside. :P

It's one of the very few skills that isn't "grindable".

For the most part, I like the design. "Minus the having to move 10 tiles part", I still don't understand the purpose there.

@Rosedragon  the fourth option is

random gains, no need to move tiles

Just wondering how many of these folks that are putting -1 on it have ground it out before it changed to a 'once in a blue moon' gain skill tick

+1 for an option of, always gain Some kind of skill, Keep the timer between meditations ( to disallow grinding ) and i'm either way with moving or not moving.

Just wondering how many of these folks that are putting -1 on it have ground it out before it changed to a 'once in a blue moon' gain skill tick

Tuanta started meditating half a year after Pristine went live. (530 days roughly give or take his prior time on Golden Valley many years ago) He's almost 80 now. Honestly, its not that bad...

• Like 1

You know you don't have to move around at all, riiiiight? Just relog.

So?

Both having to move the rug and having to relog are inconvenient.

Hrm hard to say... been playing a while myself; however, only really ever got to Splendid on one char. Didn't even take advantage of when meditation was alot easier to get up in levels early in the implementation. Tbh I would have, if I had been more active at the time.

Even if one knows the optimal means and methods (low ql, coc regular rug for gain (sleep bonus); and high ql exq rug for questions), the skill gain is still pretty spotty and random. People have been known to go months without skill ticks.

On the other hand, path abilities are pretty handy for various uses, both high and low level. Shield of the Gone is probably the most discussed example atm.

in my opinion it is not "fine as it is":

cooldown, the need to move and on top of that a -random- chance to gain skill.

i'd be fine if the skillgain would be halve of what it is now but at least give me some gain.

• Like 2

I have a major issue with the random nature of the skill ticks, it is incredibly frustrating, I don't really care too much about the move 10 tiles thing but it would be nice if that went away as well.

Fine as is.

That was quick. Nice to know Wurm Staff are watching the forums so closely. I disagree that Meditation skill gain is OK. It is not OK imo, not for the low end of skill.

I did not vote in this poll for the reason that the solution I think Meditation needs is not listed as a vote option. I think what is needed for Meditation skill to not be such a PITA is for Rolf to do a balance pass on it and boost the low end skill gain just enough to give Players some reasonable amount of success for time spent in attempting to gain skill. If high end skill gain is fine then cool but since I don't have any experience at that level I won't comment on that. What I do know is that right now Meditation is an almost impossible skill for Players just starting it with a Meditation rug they made themselves... and by the gods a Player should be able to get to at least level 20 and not be forced by game balance to spend coin to purchase items just to get to that mediocre level of skill (20). (I have a medium ql rug with med ql CoC enchant and I can not get past skill 8. To me that's improper balance. The "diminishing return curve" is too straight.)

I am OK with cooldown and the need to move between meditations to gain skill. I am not OK with the current chance to gain skill and the almost necessary requirement of having to use an enchanted rug.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

It's fine as is though could do with the 11 tile rubbish removed. The skill offers some fantastic bonuses and with a small amount of dedication those awards can be anyone's. It's not hard at all, it just takes effort each day.

Those of you struggling with skill ticks, i suggest reassessing your rug QL as it is by far the most important factor in whether you will get a tick or not.

It's fine as is though could do with the 11 tile rubbish removed. The skill offers some fantastic bonuses and with a small amount of dedication those awards can be anyone's. It's not hard at all, it just takes effort each day.

Those of you struggling with skill ticks, i suggest reassessing your rug QL as it is by far the most important factor in whether you will get a tick or not.

i've gone 3 days without a tick when i was working to get meditating from 68-70.

i used a 102 coc and 99 coc rug. 10ql rug.

meditated about 8 times a day, sometimes more.

thats 24 meditations i did without a single ticket. with a high coc rug and low ql rug.

it took me 2 months to get from 68 med to 70.

+1 on change to the meditation system.

-1 cause its going to change the value of my account because of it.

SOTG really should be in its own class or something, like any paths having to do with meditation, should be disabled if that player is a priest or something. like, you cant be both a priest and use the meditation paths.