Sign in to follow this  
Mordraug

I miss proper winds

I've noticed that since Xanadu launched, and have been keeping track for a while now, wind speed seems to be predominantly on the "breeze" side, with a heavy tendency toward light breeze.

The amount of people on Xanadu is incidentally decreasing.  Going out to hunt, for example (mob dispersal has been discussed ad nauseum), can mean 1.5 hours looking at the same island.

Easily 3/4 of the time is breeze.

Yesterday I caught 3 hours of gale, made it from Release to the center of Inde.  Granted, that shouldn't be permanent but.... 

Logged off, got up about 8 hours later, wind was expectedly down to breeze, strong breeze specifically.

On the road it went up to strong wind after about 3 hours, that lasted one hour, back to strong breeze a couple, light breeze now 1.5 hours, reached Release at time of this post so about 2 more hours to go.

Was tolerable on the smaller servers, light breeze was also way less frequent that I can remember......

but with Xanadu in the middle of everything, it adds annoyance instead of "scale" to the game.  Also, the RNG itself is clearly out of whack if winds are so slow all the time.  Hurts the hell out of trade, isolating pockets of the community ultimately, and simply negates the possibility of sailing to anyone who doesn't have a cool 8 hours to burn on half a trip.

I for one would vote to do away with light breeze and "breeze" altogether, so start "strong breeze" upward, that in itself may be alone to overcome the borked RNG, then again may need some tweaking too.

Anyone else have a better idea?  Sailing skill and ship speed according to QL, don't think that'll solve it unless the increments were massive to counter slow winds, same as enchanting them.  Could be part of the solution but not the solution altogether imho.

But supreme rowboat being the fastest vessel in the game most of the time... something's definitely wrong.

(Edit, figured I'd post here since this server is one hit hardest by it.  On the older servers the land path is generally still an option while with Xan's topography... gonna be ages before it's a reality, gonna most likely need bridges anyways, and gonna take even longer if the server doesn't appeal to people due to distances in the first place).

Edited by Mordraug

[09:37:03] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.
[10:09:18] A breeze is coming from the southeast.
[11:41:39] A breeze is coming from the southeast.
[12:12:53] A strong breeze is coming from the southeast.
[12:57:30] A strong wind is coming from the east
[14:01:50] A strong breeze is coming from the east
[15:01:51] A breeze is coming from the southeast.
[15:48:42] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.
[16:57:51] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.
[17:06:01] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.
[19:01:55] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.
[20:21:42] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.
[20:52:13] A light breeze is coming from the southeast.

The norm more than the exception lately.
Edited by Mordraug

I've had a few thoughts on this sailing across Xanadu at 4.5 km/h (not exactly a fun nights gaming, and it is a whole nights gaming for many) 

Create a spell or path ability that allows for faster travelling was an idea I have had rattling around in my mind. If it was a spell that was like vessel where you stored a certain amount of wind into a container or gem it would not be necessary to have the ability to create the item to actually use it so I would lean more towards a spell (knowing full well there will be lots of arguments over that idea and which priest type would be given the ability) Vyn already has a tornado spell and prays at water so it sort of makes sense for Vyn to get that type of ability not that Vyn needs any more useful spells compared to Mag or Fo and before you argue over that I have a Vyn, Fo and Mag priest and personally feel if any were to get it the Mag priests really could use something worth having for enchants the most.

Another option would of been (well maybe still could be) to put 2 of the smaller servers to the north and south of Xanadu to create a shortcut east to west like using deli to cut down the trip from north to south for example Exodus to the north and Celebrity to the south which would in turn also make these servers more visited and perhaps create some more relevance to these servers which have always had lower populations for as long as I've been playing anyway.

• Like 2

Huh... set off in gale a bit ago, about 3 minutes out, server reset message... AND WE'RE BACK TO BREEZE.

i like the idea of a sailing skill.  sailing is one of the few activities that you garner no skill and it takes forever to do.  also like the idea of speed bump based on ql of boat.

will get shipmakers a business bump.

• Like 3

Take the wind factor totally out of sailing within Wurm. Ships/boats just go specific fixed speeds in any directions. Then created objects could be added that will boost the ship/boat speeds further. Done!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Sailing skill, ql of boat making a difference, woa cast making a difference.

This would at least make it more interesting to sail :)

I can agree it is not fun to sail across Xanadu with a breeze... and they are definitely common enough

Gotta politely disagree with you Ayes.

Too much of something is bad.  Steady speeds, I use a supreme rowboat constantly (in view of the bad winds).. gets me there reliably yes but.. the knarr is the knarr y'know.

As long as I'm doing 11km/h (my FIRST boat, my rowboat, went rare so i was kinda raised with that minimum speed) ON A BAD DAY (as opposed to the 6-8 on light breeze.. that's a rare knarr btw), it's a sacrifice worth making if i know the winds will switch sooner than later to my speed becoming 14+, "with a chance of gale".  Keepin' it real yo.

Hence my specific call (in my opinion on the matter that is) for light breeze and breeze to be done away with, making bad winds be "strong breeze" (also in terms of likeliness of bugs, ease of coding, etc.. it's the most dev-friendly solution by miles).

But as a smoker.... that much "light breeze" on open bodies of water?  RIGHT.

A "Sailing skill" I could live with, but unless it could add something like 4km/h at lv50, light breeze would remain an issue as long as Xanadu remains huge which.. it will.

WoA and QL having effect, why not too.. give crafting some more meaning.  "Defiance of Water" instead of WoA in fact, give it to Mag priests, they need a hug and I'm not mocking them.

Edited by Mordraug

I do have to agree with one thing Mordraug said. That much light breeze in open ocean.... I have been a competitive deep sea fisherman since I was a small child, it is almost never calm winds on the sea.

Mountains and other terrain blocking winds is what causes so many "calm" days inland.

The problem here though is in the open sea a 10-15mph wind seems like lots of strong gusts, but in sailing terms you would be traveling at 10-15mph that would be 16-24mph with fully harnessed winds (sails cant travel any faster than the wind is blowing no matter what you do, in fact you wont go fully at wind speed due to drag of the ship). So normal winds being strong breezes making a corb go around 17-20kmh should be the normal.

Edited by Calypsoi

(sails cant travel any faster than the wind is blowing no matter what you do, in fact you wont go fully at wind speed due to drag of the ship)

Sorry Calypsoi, I don't necessarily agree with the other thing you said, but the quote above is just wrong  ;)

The world record for speed sailing is 2,5 times the speed of the wind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_faster_than_the_wind

Edited by Throndr

Sorry Calypsoi, I don't necessarily agree with the other thing you said, but the quote above is just wrong  ;)

The world record for speed sailing is 2,5 times the speed of the wind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_faster_than_the_wind

So do away with anything below "strong breeze", and "Sailing" skill that, with the miles, scales up to 2.5x ship's "base" speed all the way to lv99?  Sounds fun.

Good thread. On the possible ideas...

1) make winds below strong breeze very rare, i.e. 3% of a week, only when you're really unlucky. Possibly harder to implement: increase wind speed in deep waters (far away from shore, to server edges).

2) wow, I like the sailing skill idea! Yep, learn to sail, the more you sail the more you take advantage of your ship, awesome idea.

3) the good old idea to have ship ql increase speed. (what happened to that?)

Since Xanadu winds have not  been the same as they were.  I can deal with the changes but they change very infrequently and rarely to a Gale.    Alot of things got disrupted with the opening of Xanadu.  

Chickens for example.

Please have a look at the code and maybe make the needed adjustments.

My 3 hens didnt give any egg in month.... I try feed them by hand and also from pile... I move em insite on grass packed dirt....