Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Carpenter's Link

Okay, so, we all love building mega super awesome epic castles... but why do they have to be split into 14 different buildings that look odd with those wierd gaps?  Simple, Carpentry skill limitations and hardcarps set by the developers.

What I am proposing is to allow Carpenters to link, just as priests do, to lend their skill to a combined pool.  This would allow one carpenter to plan larger buildings.  I believe a hardcap still needs to be set for this as well as possibly limiting a carpenter to have 2-3 links (amounts to the combined skills of 3-4 carpenters, of which have a hardcap set on them).

The idea would benefit any server; chaos, epic, freedom.  Chaos and epic get their longhouse walls larger one large longhouse that wraps entirely around a fortress.  One writ.  One set of permissions to manage.  Furthermore, Freedom can use this to build colosal buildings or forts of it's own.

- 70+ Carpentry requirement to link

- Increased hardcap to match current hardcap multiplied by number of links?  Example is Current cap is 100, then with max allowed links of 3 the combined hardcap for any combination is 400.

- All accounts, links or toon being linked to, must be premium.  (just incase of exploits from skills not capping at 20 when prem runs out?)

- All other current restrictions apply; aka building height, skill requirement for floor types, wall types, etc.

Good / bad?  Discuss!

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

- 70+ Carpentry requirement to link = All accounts, links or toon being linked to, must be premium.

Unless you can have 70Carp without premium =D

I actually like the idea, lots of new possibilities. 

- 70+ Carpentry requirement to link = All accounts, links or toon being linked to, must be premium.

Unless you can have 70Carp without premium =D

I actually like the idea, lots of new possibilities. 

With a high level carpenter you can already build very large buildings deserving of "castle" status. I'd prefer that if there was a need for larger buildings the current caps just got scaled up, rather than effectively removing the benefit for being one of the higher skill players.

I suspect 90% of the time this would just be used to donut house 20x20 or larger areas off-deed, bringing back enormous enclosures nobody liked seeing around.

• Like 3

-1 for the reasons Wraithglow said.
Also, can't stand giant buildings where 90% of the tiles are either unused or full of crap no-one actually uses (warehouse storage)

So two -1 for personal reasons.  It's fine, everyone has their opinion.  Obviously this could be abused without proper restrictions or limits.

As for the offdeed enclosure issue, I hadn't though of that and that is a huge exploit.  Think this issue would be enough to end this idea, thread can be locked if no one else cares.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Can see this as some kind of high level unlock for masons and carpenters.

You can get around an enclosure exploit by requiring it to be on a deed including a mechanism to accelerate decay (rapidly...as in days) if the structure becomes 'off deed'.

-1, I can only imagine half a server being put inside a donuthouse, no more deed needed.

+1 but only on deed

I was torn if only on deed or also on perimeter... As alot of these functions will be very good for chaos, but not all deeds are that big :D