Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 38

LssNW38L.jpg

Hello fellow Wurmians!

It has been an exciting week at the office with allot of energy and visitors contributing to that fact.

We are happy to have our Germany based Graphic artist Roman visiting here in Motala.

He is currently laboring merrily on his crappy laptop trying to keep up with us big boys and our big toys.

Let me tell you more whilst I

Share some News!

Tich visiting the Motala office.

Tich.gif

Many of you probably know about our very talented developer Tich who is helping out developing tools, features and resolving bugs.

Basically a bit of everything.

Tich is also a veteran player of Wurm and the architect behind impressive projects like RockCliff Cathedral on Independence.

Usually Tich is working out of UK but for this week is visiting our office in Motala to kick some collaborative projects into the next gear.

We still want to keep the details for ourselves a little bit longer but there are some real nice projects going on in the background.

Select Bar

SelectBar.png

The select bar is the latest addition we are working on to make interacting with the game more intuitive.

Let me first explain the concept.

You will have 8 slots in this interface which will be bound by default to the numeric keys.

(The previous default for those keys which are the tool belt presets is changed to holding down shift + a numeric key.)

They can all be rebound to fit your specific layout so do not worry.

The slots in the select bar are dynamic keybinds which update to represent the most common actions used with a selected item or in relation to an active tool.

All actions are represented by easily understood and memorable Icons which if needed are explained when hovering mouse over them.

As an example:

You select a rock tile by left clicking it.

The select bar is updated and shows you the different options you have.

You open your inventory and activate your pickaxe.

The interface is now updated with the actions related to pickaxe on rock.

You now see the icon for tunnel in the first slot and press the number 1 key on the keyboard.

You character starts hacking away at the rock.

Every time you press 1 you que additional actions.

What do you say Wurmians, can we have some feedback and suggestions concerning this new interface?

(Like I could stop you hehe)

Affliction

Affliction.jpg

A vote took place after a much supported request where only premium accounts on Affliction that are members of the Hots kingdom could participate.

The vote was for a new and bigger Affliction map and it passed with 89% favoring the suggestion.

It will not get any clearer then that so we at code club will cater to this and make it so.

Inhabitants get at least 2 Weeks of notice and a so called free disband of their deeds.

So start preparing Black Lighters! Load up them boats because Affliction will go down only to rise again!

I will give you a specific date well in advance of this.

Host issues

We have been experiencing some problems with our host in Germany where all of a sudden there is performance issues and data loss that goes on for some time.

Currently we are recording network data to get further information to provide to Hetzner.

We have already identified this is something happening in their core network and within their infrastructure.

Currently we can not say how we will resolve this as it is pretty much out of our hands if they themselves do not address the issue.

That is if we do not want to start tailoring our servers around this issue to try and compensate for their shortcomings.

Or for that matter migrate to another host again which is of course not optimal.

I will get back to you once I have further information on the matter.

Trellises

TrellisesS.jpg

Click Image for larger version

Yes, the trellises that was not released with all the other content which was created mainly in relation to the new tutorial area is about to be added.

They became quite popular as people wanted to lively up the walls of their housing, so we get reminders from time to time not to forget them.

We also expanded a bit upon the concept so there will be another version of the trellis.

Some of you might already have found the ivy seedlings which was added earlier and this was in preparation for this new version.

These will be needed to craft the new ivy trellis along with some shafts and a nail or two.

So there will be both Ivy and grape trellises available sometime next week.

Sheep and Wool crafting.

We are continuing our work on the marvelous sheep and currently we are making a spinning jenny for processing of the wool to turn it into yarn.

You will then use the yarn with a floor loom to make cloth which in turn will give you some new alternatives to craft.

These will be disclosed later as we progress.

Trimless Walls

Another version of the stone brick wall without the wooden trims that is between the wall parts horizontally.

The thought here being that firstly it makes for more variation and secondly a more clean unified look for larger exterior walls of multi story houses or castles.

It also has a smaller castle like window.

I will hit you with some in progress shots of this very soon.

Interior decoration contest!

We have selected the winners for the competition and it was not easy.

So first of I would just like to thank everyone who has contributed, I am always amazed to see what you all do with the things available.

I gathered all the devs around my desk and we discussed and viewed everything critically.

Finally we had agreed on three participants which was the most original and aesthetically pleasing to us.

So without any further ado I bring you the winners!

DOE - The Library

Library.jpg

Kegan - Cosy Bedroom

BedRoom_s.jpg

Nicrolis - Throneroom

ThroneRoom.jpg

All of the winners will be contacted through PM and we will discuss your choice of pendants and details.

A big congratulations to the winners and thank you all for participating from us here at the office!

Christmas Impalong!

A special mention goes out today in preparation for the very popular Christmas Impalong.

You can discuss it here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110481-christmas-impalong-discussion-freedom-isles/

And place you submission here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110477-christmas-impalong-submissions-freedom-isles/

I hope I can participate this year and catch you all in action!

Alright Wurmians, that will be all for this weeks news. It is exciting to see a new branch of crafting starting to take shape.

I have high hopes it will become quite popular with some of the further craftable items we have in mind.

Other then that I will thank you for another great week and remind you to

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 24

Great updates, Loving the sound of the new bar!

and omg, didn't see the library one, only kegans which was great.  That library though, AMAZING! :o

DOE and Kegan did a great job :)

Nic's is a bit to plane for my liking (more of a fan of a ton of details)  but It gives me that skyrim-feeling :P  just needs a few carpets nic!!!

• Like 1

Will existing stone walls be turned to trimless? I dont really feel like rebuilding our 12 story complex just to get rid of the wooden beams on the stone walls :D

Trellises, I cant wait for these, this will be a serious upgrade for making villages cozier and more "green". Is there any vague plans for interior vegetation? (besides flowerpots, maybe something more like ferns or stuff, something a bit more lush and dense in design :))

And sheep/wool, always nice to have extra skills to grind and stuff to craft!

Will existing stone walls be turned to trimless? I dont really feel like rebuilding our 12 story complex just to get rid of the wooden beams on the stone walls :D

Trellises, I cant wait for these, this will be a serious upgrade for making villages cozier and more "green". Is there any vague plans for interior vegetation? (besides flowerpots, maybe something more like ferns or stuff, something a bit more lush and dense in design :))

Great work as always!  

On the Select bar, I assume since you are showing the health of the horse you will also fill that bar with action progress when performing actions?  If not, I suggest, for example, clicking on a rock wall and activating the pick will show how many actions are left on that wall in order for it to be opened - graphically represented of course 50% for 25 actions till collapse, etc.?  Not sure how that would work with the random 50-54 actions, but I still think that would be a great addition.  

Good stuff as always but this project we have been hearing hints of for a while now has me really wondering what it could be. 

only 89% ? when you consider how few people there are that seems to be a lot who don't want the change which then doesn't leave much confidence in changes made to other servers, I also hope it was not based off the spreadsheet I saw on pastebin that had people who don't play there voting :unsure:

They will not get changed, it is a new model ;)

Edited by Lycanthropic
  • Like 4

GOD YES A NEW HOME

FINALLY

edit:

NO MORE SHITTY MOUNTAIN DEEDS

Edited by Monokles
  • Like 3

I wonder how many people will try out HoTS again now. :)

I'll sure take a peek, at the very least.  besides, Always wondered what Vandles/darkmalices/debits Epic skills were. :o

i would like to say thank you very much dev team for listening to the black light players and going with the majority vote.im looking forward to a new map .

X_X ugh, oh well, perhaps a "right click" menu on the existing walls to change them one-time-only to the trimless version?

Pretty please XD

This... please. I don't think I can handle rebuilding my village again...

• Like 2

only 89% ? when you consider how few people there are that seems to be a lot who don't want the change which then doesn't leave much confidence in changes made to other servers, I also hope it was not based off the spreadsheet I saw on pastebin that had people who don't play there voting :unsure:

i have talked to the majority of blh myself and havent found anyone that was against the reset, so im pretty suprised it was 89% and not more. And no it wasnt based of the spreadsheet, u can also not talk about who lives here and who doesnt live here coz most ppl in BL live on affliction AND elevation. Most of us dont live in one place/server. 

Great news on the much needed affliction map reset. Hopefully it'll bring in new blood wanting to try out epic and a chance for kingdom numbers to even out.

• Like 1

Select Bar

The select bar is the latest addition we are working on to make interacting with the game more intuitive.

Let me first explain the concept.

You will have 8 slots in this interface which will be bound by default to the numeric keys.

(The previous default for those keys which are the tool belt presets is changed to holding down shift + a numeric key.)

They can all be rebound to fit your specific layout so do not worry.

The slots in the select bar are dynamic keybinds which update to represent the most common actions used with a selected item or in relation to an active tool.

All actions are represented by easily understood and memorable Icons which if needed are explained when hovering mouse over them.

Heck yes, I've posted way too many times trying to show how this approach will improve Wurm. There really are only a few options you can do when you figure in an active tool and selected target. I truly feel it's silly to ask a player to remember so many keybinds when in actuality there are often only one and occasionally a few things you'll do with a specific tool on a specific target.

One small potential issue is we have to left click something to update the selected bar. If i'm sowing seeds I'd have to left click and then hit whatever key is set for sow. Although, since the selected bar usually has a target I'm not sure how to remove the left click. Its a minor inconvenience yet that advantage of considering both active tool and selected target will narrow the potential actions list.

PLEASE, FOR GOODNESS SAKES ARTISTS! Give us a small inconspicuous version. I want to see the Wurm would, not UI's.

• Like 1

Trimless Walls

Another version of the stone brick wall without the wooden trims that is between the wall parts horizontally.

The thought here being that firstly it makes for more variation and secondly a more clean unified look for larger exterior walls of multi story houses or castles.

It also has a smaller caste like window.

I will hit you with some in progress shots of this very soon.

Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you!

Im talking about people that don't even play voting on that list Lorena

Im talking about people that don't even play voting on that list Lorena

aah i see, well that list. All mayors on blh have been informed to give their opinion and we had a /poll running. I also spoke to most ppl here personally and basically everyone agreed on the reset. 

• Like 1